Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Indian Question

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 5th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Indian Question

I understand that India has a huge population that smokes hookahs and yet I know nothing about the subject. What are the major companies making pipes in India? What is the quality and designs like? Outside of Afzel what sort of shisha & tombac comes from India? How does hookah culture in India differ from what we see here or in the Arab world?
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah
Default Re: Indian Question

I know that they use a different substance to smoke with...I forgot what it was called though...its kind of like a paste I believe.
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Thanks for the reply. I think your right, it's paste like so it doesn't look like what we are used to. I wonder what sort of head you'd need for it? Anyway, anyone know brands for that stuff? Are hookahs from India different from the Arabic kinds we know? Unfortunately, the only Indians I know either don't smoke or smoke cigarettes. Any further input is welcome.
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM
AZcoyote
Hookah Newbie

I tried some a while back. Strong as hell and a definitely different from what you're used to. If you get dizzy on Naklah or Tangiers, don't even try this. It will make you puke. Check out mush's dirt thread on the other forum.
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Thanks for the info. I went over to the mush's dirt thread. Pretty interesting stuff as it seems what the Indians smoke is a lot like Arabian jurak which i've tried but know very little about. It seems you mix powdered tobacco with honey which is something you can do by finely powdering run of the mill tombac. I guess i've give it a try. The Arabic stuff I had years ago had a strong Plum taste so some sort falvour stuff was added. I wonder how you'd track down something like that here? It seems that the Indians use hookahs made totally out of brass which makes me wonder how you determine how much water to add to the base? This sure seems a tough area to look into.
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

I smoked out of an Indian hookah for the first time (Al Fakher Lemon + Mint). It had no glass bottom. Instead, it was all screw on metallic parts. It worked very well and hit better than a lot of Egyptians. The threading was not made out of soft material, if it were, it would definitely ruin the seal on the vase and steam.

I've never smoked Indian tobacco, though.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofdavid
I smoked out of an Indian hookah for the first time (Al Fakher Lemon + Mint). It had no glass bottom. Instead, it was all screw on metallic parts. It worked very well and hit better than a lot of Egyptians. The threading was not made out of soft material, if it were, it would definitely ruin the seal on the vase and steam.

I've got a Turkish rig made with a screw on bottom. You can tell how to fill thanks to a gold line on the inside. While the screw works fine you got to very careful not to cross-thread it. Another downside is that it is a real pain to clean but it smokes like a dream.

I understand that stainless steel rigs are pretty uncommon everywhere but the Western world but frankly, I prefer glass as it's easier to clean and the rubber seal method wroks very well when made by a competent builder.

I have no idea what is popular to smoke in India but hopefully someone knows. Afzel makes something called Pan flavoured shisha which I think is a traditional Indian thing but I have no idea what it's like. I guess i'll try it. Anyone know a good source for Indian narhgiles? (I don't know what they call them)
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
AZcoyote
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Quote:

Afzel makes something called Pan flavoured shisha which I think is a traditional Indian thing but I have no idea what it's like. I guess i'll try it. Anyone know a good source for Indian narhgiles? (I don't know what they call them)
PAN or alternately Paan is an after dinner digestive chew. It can include betel nut and tobacco, lime, cloves, anise seed other spice and is wrapped in a leaf. Not sure what kind of leaf. Maybe betel leaf. If is sold by street vendors made to order. I've only read about it, but would love to give it a try someday. If you can find an upscale retail tobacconist in India, perhaps you can get some tobacco products shipped. Let us know if you find something.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcoyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Quote:

Afzel makes something called Pan flavoured shisha which I think is a traditional Indian thing but I have no idea what it's like. I guess i'll try it. Anyone know a good source for Indian narhgiles? (I don't know what they call them)
PAN or alternately Paan is an after dinner digestive chew. It can include betel nut and tobacco, lime, cloves, anise seed other spice and is wrapped in a leaf. Not sure what kind of leaf. Maybe betel leaf. If is sold by street vendors made to order. I've only read about it, but would love to give it a try someday. If you can find an upscale retail tobacconist in India, perhaps you can get some tobacco products shipped. Let us know if you find something.
Thanks for the info. The idea of food containing tobacco is a strange one to me but I suppose that I should be willing to try pan. The Indian cafes in the city don't have it so I suppose that the Afzel pan flavoured shisha is as close as i'll get without going to India itself.

I was talking to a Tunisian friend and he says that India exports huge amounts of smoking rigs to the Arab world which is something that would never have occurred to me. It seems that the ones they export are in a traditional Turkish style and typically made of brass and copper.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook