Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Forum > Other Stuff - Not Specifically Hookah Related > General Yada-Yada

General Yada-Yada For discussion not related to hookah specifically ...

Simple Sahti Brewing recipe

General Yada-Yada

Reply Share

Old November 7th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Simple Sahti Brewing recipe

Here is a pretty good yet easy Shati recipe: http://www.posbeer.org/oppaat/sahti/...es/juvaste.php

My take on it is to use the ingredients listed above to make a 40 liter batch and add 100 grams of dried (or 150 grams of fresh) juniper berries during fermentation and use a good liquid yeast strain in a one liter starter. Typically i'd suggest going with a good Baltic porter or Kolsch strain since the end result is far better (if less authentic) then the baker's yeast.
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:48 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Re: Simple Sahti Brewing recipe

"sahti malt mix, a mixture of pale barley malt and pilsner malt and possibly some dark caramel malt will do well"

how do you know how much of each to use? is it just all equal amounts?
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:05 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I like brewing with juniper. I plan on making a juniper beer again sometime soon.
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
"sahti malt mix, a mixture of pale barley malt and pilsner malt and possibly some dark caramel malt will do well"

how do you know how much of each to use? is it just all equal amounts?
Typically the grain bill is about 45% of a 2 row malt similar to English Mild malt, 45% is a fairly typical 6 row pilsner malt and the remained is best serve with either a Biscuit malt or classic English brown malt although if you can't get those you can make do with a 60 degree crystal malt but I don't recommend it.
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I like brewing with juniper. I plan on making a juniper beer again sometime soon.
The best way to do it is to go totally old school with an open fermentor, wooden cooling troughs, extended boils, cask conditioning, under modified malts and a juniper mash-tun & hopback. Still, the recipe above is pretty good and moderately authentic.
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
The best way to do it is to go totally old school with an open fermentor, wooden cooling troughs, extended boils, cask conditioning, under modified malts and a juniper mash-tun & hopback. Still, the recipe above is pretty good and moderately authentic.
Well, when I'm living in one place for more than a year and I have consistent income I'll consider going headfirst into sahti. Until then I will be making juniper beers in my carboys and simple modern setup. I'm just looking forward to having regular income so I can justify a lagering setup.
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:59 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

im actually just starting to get into brewing. I got sick of being a beer elitist and not home brewing lol. plus, I finally found A russian river pliny the elder, and that was inspiration enough haha.
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:03 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerndunch110 View Post
im actually just starting to get into brewing. I got sick of being a beer elitist and not home brewing lol. plus, I finally found A russian river pliny the elder, and that was inspiration enough haha.
glad to have you aboard. if you're looking for a good homebrew forum, www.homebrewtalk.com is great. so what are you brewing?
Old November 8th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Aloyseus
Hookah Nut

Hajo. Thank you so much! I can see the accolades you receive on this forum are much deserved!
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Well, when I'm living in one place for more than a year and I have consistent income I'll consider going headfirst into sahti. Until then I will be making juniper beers in my carboys and simple modern setup. I'm just looking forward to having regular income so I can justify a lagering setup.
Nothing wrong with carboys! just follow the recipe as i've modded it and it should work fine. Be sure to pay attention the mash instructions since they are a little different then most. Also, no need to worry about lagering since personally I prefer that the yeast add flavour to the ale. The truth is that you can make excellent ales for 90% of the styles that are out there with out using anything but a very basic mash setup.
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerndunch110 View Post
Snobbery is pretty droll and it's great to hear you want to get into brewing! I find that you'll enjoy bier more when you make it yourself and you'll lern a bit about chemistry. Be sure to buy "introduction brewing chemistry" Dr. George Fix Papazian's "the new & complete joy of home brewing" and join the AHA while you're at it.
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Nothing wrong with carboys! just follow the recipe as i've modded it and it should work fine. Be sure to pay attention the mash instructions since they are a little different then most. Also, no need to worry about lagering since personally I prefer that the yeast add flavour to the ale. The truth is that you can make excellent ales for 90% of the styles that are out there with out using anything but a very basic mash setup.
Agreed. Every once in a while I want to make a lager though.
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

I have a mini fridge with a temp regulator on it for lagering. fits my 5g better-bottle perfectly. total cost was maybe $150 but I see people giving the mini fridges away on craigslist from time to time.
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I have a mini fridge with a temp regulator on it for lagering. fits my 5g better-bottle perfectly. total cost was maybe $150 but I see people giving the mini fridges away on craigslist from time to time.
At this point a lot of it is the fact that I am not planning on living a sedentary lifestyle for quite some time. I don't feel like carting around more than I already am. A fridge is a bit of an encumbrance. Maybe once I get to California.
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

Well I have just order a bunch of equipment, and I'm waiting for it to get here. Them I'm gunna go the brew emporium in Cambridge mass and figure out what I'm gunna brew first. Chances are it'll be a apa. I hear those are hard to screw up. Although I reeslly like iipa's but we'll see ha.

Hajo, yes I will. I already have just reading about the actual chemistry and how the hops and wort interact to for different aromas and tones. Crazy stuff. And I'm also finding a new love for stouts. I had a victory dark king stout( I think) and it was amazing! Sadly, my expense every Thursday just went up :/ my friends and I go to a bar where they have dollar drafts... Of miller high life.... gag me with a 10 foot pitchfork. I used to be able to do a few shots and then just not care enough to taste :/ I have a feeling that's not going work for very long.

Now to pout myself a nice duval
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Victory Storm King is a damn good brew.

For supplies I order from brewmaster's warehouse and I use their brew builder. It'll give you a discount on supplies for using it and they have a special rate for shipping if you use the brewbuilder as well.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:46 AM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

Quote:
Victory Storm King is a damn good brew.

For supplies I order from brewmaster's warehouse and I use their brew builder. It'll give you a discount on supplies for using it and they have a special rate for shipping if you use the brewbuilder as well.
good to know. Thanks! and yea it was the storm king. I cam across it in my 1001 beer to drink before you die, and the bar we walked into had it
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook