Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Shisha Etiquette

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Green_Jacket
Hookah Newbie

Default Shisha Etiquette

I didn't think it was a big deal till i went to Dubai, but after i heard from my mates dad what blowing smoke in peoples faces and doing ring insinuated well, lol i realized what the Khaleeji kept staring at us in the local cafes. I guess its more of a tradition thing but even things like the passing of the pipe or one Narghile per person seemed more emphasized over there and indeed all around the middle-east.

Regards

Salam
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Yamin
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Shisha Etiquette

Yeah, last time one of my friends blew smoke in my face I slapped them just for dramatic effect and because it was acceptable.

Pulling the hose from others, blowing smoke in people's faces, requesting a flavor from the person making it "unless you're at a bar" are all signs of disrespect.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamin View Post
Yeah, last time one of my friends blew smoke in my face I slapped them just for dramatic effect and because it was acceptable.

Pulling the hose from others, blowing smoke in people's faces, requesting a flavor from the person making it "unless you're at a bar" are all signs of disrespect.
dang...They are a lot of rules when smoking traditionally. I heard that having the hookah on a table is disrepectful too or something...?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Green_Jacket
Hookah Newbie

Yeah the hoops for me an my friends especially was pretty funny 'cos we're so used to doin 'em here. I gotta say though i've started smoking like my grandad recently, no messin, just sit down smoke and ponder a bit. What do u reckon? better or worse with the whole etiquette thing? Like i said nowadays im more for it tbh. Lemmie know what ya think guys?

Regards

Salam
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
RicoSuave646
Hookah Nut

i guess in American culture smoking hookah is more of a casual social thing but in the middle east it is a part of daily life for many and is taken more seriously.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Green_Jacket
Hookah Newbie

Yeah i 'spose so. Its weird like that, its kinda a serious chill some times, specially with my family it can get quite heated when it comes to politics etc but its quite relaxed at the same time, it helps conversation i reckon though i have no idea why, its a bit weird like that no matter where you are. I've never sat down by myself an just smoked without thinking a bit more than usual or with friends/family without gettin into a lengthy conversation.

Regards

Salam
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Yes I've heard of many custom when sharing the hookah. Like turning the hose tip away from the person you are passing it to. Also something about the person receiving it has to touch your hand before you pass it. I think it is cool that there are customs like this. It makes the experience a little more special IMO.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Green_Jacket
Hookah Newbie

Yeah, those are the most easy to follow i'd say. Manners never cost a thing

Regards

Salam
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

There is this one rule I heard of from other countries that smoking with the hose in your right hand is disrespectful? not too sure

Lol I sometimes grab the hose from other people just to mess around and laugh off, if their hogging it, or if their not even taking hits but talking the whole time and using the hose as a microphone >_<
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Green_Jacket
Hookah Newbie

Cool, never heard that one before, but i can well believe it! I've been told i should shake peoples hands in a certain order and direction by some people from back home (the Middle-east and what not). You always get the one person using the pipe as a microphone, lol just when everythings got goin'!

Regards

Salam
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
There is this one rule I heard of from other countries that smoking with the hose in your right hand is disrespectful? not too sure

Lol I sometimes grab the hose from other people just to mess around and laugh off, if their hogging it, or if their not even taking hits but talking the whole time and using the hose as a microphone >_<
quite the opposite jilly. in some cultures, the left hand is considered unclean, so you should ONLY touch the hose with your right hand.

also, in some cultures, you shouldn't pass the hose at all, and should lay it down on the table when your turn is over.

the best way to figure things out, is ASK! most locals will be glad to give you tips.

green, what did blowing rings offend for? i've never heard of that etiquette faux pas...
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Green_Jacket
Hookah Newbie

It might sound ridiculous, but blowing ring towards someone had sexual connotations as did blowing smoking in the face of someone. Might not be authentic Khaleeji tradition or etiquette as it was from my friends father ,a native iraqi who lives and works in dubai but none the less, we didn't have get a telling off from him in the car when we were leaving haha.

Regards

Salam (p.s where abouts u from heritage wise? or u just interested in the Culture and everything?)
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Jacket View Post
p.s where abouts u from heritage wise? or u just interested in the Culture and everything?
I'm from the deep south in the US. I just have an interest in hookah, and it's history. Ironically, history is my least favorite subject, but mainly because I'm not interested in anything my teachers seem to want to teach me.

I took a deep interest in hookah and like to learn the cultural background behind it as much as I can.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Green_Jacket
Hookah Newbie

Cool, its really good to hear people breaking the stereotype of Americans these days. U ever been out to the middle-east? I take it you smoke Narghile? Do u practice any of the etiquette? Cant say many of my middle-eastern friends over here do let alone anyone else.

Regards

Salam
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Jacket View Post
Cool, its really good to hear people breaking the stereotype of Americans these days. U ever been out to the middle-east? I take it you smoke Narghile? Do u practice any of the etiquette? Cant say many of my middle-eastern friends over here do let alone anyone else.

Regards

Salam
I have not been to the middle east, but I have been to local middle-east restaurants such as cafe instanbul. When I visit restaurants, I try to be polite as possible and watch what others are doing.

While smoking with friends, I prefer it to be a more relaxing environment, so I don't set any strict rules. My only rules are here, in someone else's 10 rules of hookah thread:

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2745
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N

when i was getting into hookah i started looking up the etiquette of hookah and read that when smoking you are supposed to smoke with the left hand and the left hand only because the right hand is considered unclean. and when you pass the hose you are suppose to set the hose on the table or set the hose down when you pass it you are not suppose to just hand it to the other person and if you have to pass it never point the tip and the person.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The cafe I go to is an old fashioned cafe and the owners are old school Turkomen smokers and are very serious about the ritual of narghile uses as are basically all of the regulars. Everyone treats me well (which is why I go) but you better behave and leave Western mannerisms at the door. I still think I like having the rig on the table rather then the floor but I know better then to do so.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4N View Post
when i was getting into hookah i started looking up the etiquette of hookah and read that when smoking you are supposed to smoke with the left hand and the left hand only because the right hand is considered unclean
http://caravansarai.blogspot.com/200...eets-west.html
Quote:
Hoses belong in the right hand. Because people in the Middle East use the left hand for personal hygiene, it is considered unclean and should never be used to smoke hookah.
http://www.hookahculture.com/hookah_..._etiquette.htm
Quote:
Use the hookah hose with your RIGHT hand. The left hand is considered unclean in many countries.

http://www.4to40.com/discoverindia/i...erindia_hookah
Quote:
The golden rule of hookah smoking is: never smoke a hookah with your left hand. "The left hand is considered unclean in many middle eastern countries," Malik points out.
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:00 AM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N

wow the few places i read where way off. my bad, i read like 4 different websites on it. well then never mind then DONT read my first post. thanks for the correction austinthecity. i am glad you cleared that up for me
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Yes that is the same reason you never shake hands with the left hand. They also do not eat with the left hand either.

I am from West Virginia myself and smoke alone. I have studied a bit on the ritual and tradition of smoking hookah, in case I ever get the chance to smoke in an authentic atmoshere.
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

Here in Iraq, the guys always fold the hose, with the mouthpiece facing away, prior to passing. They have some interesting methods to their smoking. Last night, I taught them how to sing "Da Doo Run Run".
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I live in a (kinda) middle eastern country, and and i was fortunate enough to meet some egyptian guys as well a really nice guy from syria and i learned a lot of things from them.
Am not into hookah just for smoking. I enjoy every when you are finished put the hose downaspect, the craftsmenship, the art, the preparation, relaxation, social aspect, even cleaning it.
Here are some things i believe are appropriate :

1. on the table for the next person to pick up.

2. When you pass the hose to another person , you are usually doing it to invite somebody to join you, the tip of the hose should be pointing towards you ( if you point it to somebody else its like telling them "stick it in your @$$"). Tho, its not disrespective if you pass it to someone who is already smoking if you do it the right way

3.. Hold the hose with your right hand.

4. If you are smoking in somebodys house, dont mess with the coals and/or setup cz its disrespective along with asking for specific flavours (in a lounge its different).

I 've read in a post above about touching the persons hand whose passing the hose before getting it and i believe its true with etiquette 2 i mentioned above and its only done when you accept the invitation to smoke with someone. i wasnt told this but i've seen many middle eastern guys dong it, instead of shaking hands, one offers hookahs nd the other accepts by doing that.

Cheers
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Green_Jacket
Hookah Newbie

Hey cemab4y, you're out in iraq? where abouts u stationed? Yeah, eventually it just becomes habit doin all that stuff man, its cool though. Lol da do run run? bloody hell i'll have to try an get my dad to sing it to see what it sounds like haha

Regards

Salam
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Yes I've heard of many custom when sharing the hookah. Like turning the hose tip away from the person you are passing it to. Also something about the person receiving it has to touch your hand before you pass it. I think it is cool that there are customs like this. It makes the experience a little more special IMO.
I was taught this pretty early, and I always try to follow this rule, when I think of it ... I think it is a cool custom.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook