Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Lighting for smoke

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Hookah Newbie
Default Lighting for smoke

In designing a room for smoking hookah, a primary concern of mine is the lighting -- so much of the pleasure of smoking hookah has to do with the visual experience of the smoke, thus lighting is of utmost importance. Currently I have a red lightbulb on my ceiling over the "smoke zone" -- it's nice, but not quite strong enough. I'm looking for something more penetrating and a narrower, more directional beam.

Every so often I smoke in my brothers room, and his desktop PC case has a really intense blue LED that is great for smoking hookah, so I'm thinking LED is the way to go. I've started looking online for LED bulbs that fit household sockets, mainly because they're easy to use and don't require any kind of wiring. Here's one candidate: http://www.besthomeledlighting.com/p...-120-E27-S-36-

Then I came across this guy on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Multi-Color-LED-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quite a step up in price, but it could be well worth it. By remote control, you can change the color, brightness, customize transitions, or even make it strobe if you're crazy like that. Being able to change the color is a big plus for me -- you can cover a wide range of moods for your hookah room.

Anybody have any experience with LED bulbs, or have any other suggestions concerning lighting for smoke?
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Moderator Kitteh
Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten
Default Re: Lighting for smoke

not that it matters, or is the same but ihave experience with led christmas lights and believe their glow is more crisp, sharp, and energy efficient.

I'd go with led lights, if you're doing a "smoke room" and want ambieance (sp) i would hang two or three led spot lights (they are the kind you mount into the ceiling, and they can move around if you tilt them a certian way. and then put sheer fabric up to take away intensity and make it nice.

um... thats how i am doing my smoke room, with purple, red, gold, and bronze sheer, have them go from the walls,into the center and have a decoration in the middle of the room.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Hookah Guru

I looked at your link - it looks neat, but I'm not how sure how long it would last or how well it would work. If the price where alittle cheaper, I'd say go for it - but $50 for something that may not work like you'd expect, that's up to you.

As for my personal lighting - we found a lamp at a local thrift store... OMG, after spending some money on supplies and several hours of creative work, we came up with the damn sweetest lamp of all!

The top light is a 12w engery saver "daylight", plus inside in the base is a 3v nigtlight lamp - if can run with nightlight, main lamp or both. I so want to find a second one. (PS: the picture doesn't do it justice, I'll try for a better one later)
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb lamp.jpg_thumb (26.9 KB, 0 views)
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hookah Newbie

I don't know, it looks pretty promising. I'd been poking around reading different tidbits about it and haven't found anything negative yet. Supposedly the bulb lasts 10,000+ hours. I'm very seriously considering it... if I do get it, I'll let you guys know how it goes 8)

edit: I found a cheaper version http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2512
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Send a message via AIM to MNH

Looks interesting.... be sure and tells us. I heard of a hookah bar in Vegas that has LED lights in the center of there tables and they put the hookahs over it and it puts out some pretty cool lighting.

MN Hookah
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

MNH makes a good point, I have heard of LED's under the vase but never for the smoke. It sounds cool though. Personally, I feel the best smoke effect is a dim yellow light even candlelight if possible. The yellow light allows you to see the smoke better than in white/daylight but doesnt give you a headache, like sitting under a red or other colored light does after a while.

Maybe im just that way, because thats how we smoke at home. But definately let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Hookah Life
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Hookah Newbie

I usually smoke in the dark with the dull glow of the computer screen surrounded by a fog of smoke.

Or, in the dark with the dim flicker of the tv screen to illuminate my rings of smoke.

Generally speaking that is. sometimes i smoke outside in the afternoon sun.
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Sambooka Jr.

That lightbulb is pretty cool! I may even get one if you like it!

I like the idea of the LED lights, they are bright, crisp, small, and very reasonably priced!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

I'm with hookahlife on this one, candlelight is so nice for hookah...give it a try, get a few tealights and set em up, or like a huge 3 wick cylinder on the center table. It's great for chilling, but the drawback is it makes for a very quiet and subdued atmosphere. If you want a conversational type session, I wouldnt reccomend it lol. Makes ya wanna sleep.
Haikus are easy
but sometimes they don't make sense.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook