Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

cigs vs. hookah.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 10th, 2008, 11:35 PM
wishingnote
Deleted Per User Request

Default cigs vs. hookah.

So I have heard alot of controversy over which is better for you smoking cigs or smoking hookah and come to find out that alot of sites out there will tell you that smoking hookah is a hell of lot more worse for you than smoking a cig. For example they (the sites) tell you that you inhale more harmful toxins into your lungs such as carbon monoxide, heavy metals, and cancer causing chemicals. They also claim that you inhale 100 to 200 times more tar than you would if you smoked a cig which does not make sense considering on the shisha tobbaco that most of us buy tells us it has 0.0% tar and 0.5 or 0.05% nicotine. So what do you guys feel about this topic to be honest I think smoking a cig as still alot worse than smoking hookah considering the CO and the metals that are inhaled into the lungs. Well let me know what you think.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Lekyrr
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: cigs vs. hookah.

I'm not scientist but IMO.

-cigs smell/taste worse
-how many anti-hookah commercials have you seen versus anti-cigarette commercials
-i don't hack up my lungs after smoking hookah
-the shisha pack says 0% tar
-a session of hookah is being compared to ONE cigarette
-hookah doesn't affect my taste or smell
-i will agree that inhaling any form of smoke is not good for you

What it really boils down to is everything in moderation...
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:47 PM
wishingnote
Deleted Per User Request

imo i think its the tobacco companies that are trying to make hookah smoking seem worse than smoking cigs but at least hookah doesnt have the chemicals that cigeratte tobacco has in it to get you addicted.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N

i mean if you look at it this way a cig is made out of.

cigs
50% tobacco
30% of cigs that have been sent back and put in vats of liquid chemicals them sprayed on thin paper and chopped up
20% added shit

hookah tobacco
like what tobacco and then glycerine for flavor
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Tom16689
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tom16689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekyrr View Post
I'm not scientist but IMO.

-cigs smell/taste worse
im not sure how that affects which one is more harmful

-how many anti-hookah commercials have you seen versus anti-cigarette commercials
cigarettes have been in the American culture for decades, hookah has been for none.
-i don't hack up my lungs after smoking hookah
cigarette smokers usually get a cough after a few years of smoking
-the shisha pack says 0% tar
If smoked correctly
-a session of hookah is being compared to ONE cigarette
that would mean ten packs per session
Most of those studys are absolute bogus, tar isn't produced unless the tobacco is burned.

They get the ratio of session/cigarette by volume of smoke which is also misleading when used in a study since the general idea is that hookah smoke is much less toxic.

Also if there is no information about how the hookah was setup, it's not even worth the read. For all we know they could be using a blowtorch to heat the shisha while using no water in their base.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Tom16689
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishingnote View Post
imo i think its the tobacco companies that are trying to make hookah smoking seem worse than smoking cigs but at least hookah doesnt have the chemicals that cigeratte tobacco has in it to get you addicted.
Its nicotine that makes cigarettes addictive

<5% nicotine depending on brand

Not sure about cigarettes, but i think its 7-12%?
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:35 AM
mbanda
Hookah Newbie

tom16etc.. you have a point about the studies not telling in their reports what was the setup for the hookah. Any serious scientific report must be in a format well structured. If those reports are not supposed to be public, at least they must justify their asseverations.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:06 AM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N

i hate when people try to prove a point but the facts are not straight so you can never tell if they are true or false
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Tom16689
Hookah Newbie

Its really common sense more than anything. If you choose to give such a shady "scientific" study any credibility in favor of either side, you're a fool.
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:37 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

they are stupid.. just because gives lots of smoke and u smoke for longer they say its dangerous.. i dont believe 1 bit of that bullpoop :P
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

This point has been brought up again and again. Seems like every week there's a new one posted. We all know that purposefully inhaling any kind of smoke is not good for us. Why do we care about the studies so much? I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day. I quit them 12/04/06. I have 1 and on the weekends 2 sessions of hookah a day. I can tell as a fact that I don't weez when I breath, I don't hack up phlem in the morning, and I hardly ever cough in the course of a day. Does that mean for sure that hookah is much safer than cigarettes? No, but it has less effect on my body.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
mrMojoRisin
Hookah Nut

I could swear I saw a thread just like this the other day... And I think the responses are the same every time.

| 40" Temsah Caramana | [HOWTO] DIY Hookah Hose Hanger | Coffee Can Wind Cover |
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

No matter what they say i don't think any of us are going to stop smoking hookah so it really doesn't matter.

IMO though, i don't think it's it's worse. Its bad yah, but almost everything causes health complications if used in excess anyways.
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
mrMojoRisin
Hookah Nut

Hookah tobacco does not have chemicals to make it burn. It does not contain lighter fluid. It does not contain formaldehyde. It does not contain antifreeze. Or ammonia. Or added nicotine. The end.

| 40" Temsah Caramana | [HOWTO] DIY Hookah Hose Hanger | Coffee Can Wind Cover |
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Divine Comedy
Hookah Newbie

The thing that really makes me think these studies are bogus is the whole bit "as much tar as 100-200 cigs". Ok lets say hookah is worse for you, fine maby it is maby it isn't, but 200 cigs, there is not enough tobacco in the bowl to equal 5 cigs. Even if you incinirsted the bowl of shisha and inhailed every bit of the substance you still would not be able to match the volume of tobaco in say 10 cigs. You cant deny physics.

And the tobacco is not even burnt its roasted, so you are not inhaling the whole of the substance, a good amount remains unlike in cigaretes.

Now the bit about heavy metals in the coal i belive, and i think it may be the most harmfull part of smoking hookah.
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

The way i see it...

The pure white smoke is a product of the glycerin in the tobacco mixture. The tobacco has been washed multiple times in most American's cases, but in all cases it is 100% pure tobacco, no poisonous additives. I don't think there is a study that proves tobacco causes cancer, only cigarettes. I always say the worst part of a hookah is the coals; they release small (or large in some cases) amounts of a gas that is toxic to humans and deadly in large amounts. Yet if you are careful, you won't get any ill-effects.

I have never had a cough, I have never had any staining in my throat or my teeth, I am more fit then I was 2 years ago, my lung capacity is larger because I smoke hookah (a lot of lung work).
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM
ChelseaFC5505
Hookah Newbie

Like someone above said, anything is bad in excess. Also studies nowadays are saying things like "looking into the microwave to check on your food will give you cancer" and "reheating your food with the shiny side of tin foil inwards will give you cancer" and my fav "hot showers give you cancer." Don't believe any of it lol. They cant find a cause for anything so they blame it on mundane activities. like reheating food and showering
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:44 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

kind of to lazy to read through all the posts since there are so many of these threads.

"tar" is anything in the air that is inhaled except nicotine, i.e. water vapor gets measured in that.

steam vs burn

and 99.9% of people feel better after smoking hookah than after cigs.

now smoking anything is not good for you but hookah is probably less worse
-matt
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:46 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

the way i see it is...you inhale more smoke but the smoke isnt as strong/bad as cigarette smoke
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

well for one shisha tobacco has no harmfull additives that cigs do contain.. and the whole tar issue is B/s the tobacco smoke from a cig has tar becuase the tobacco is burned at about 800 degrees were as the shisha is baked at 350 at max. so theres no way the shisha can produce tar.
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Well to tell you the truth NO FORM OF SMOKE IS GOOD FOR YOU!

When I started out smoking, people told me BS stories about hookah being "not bad for you" and that "the water filters all the bad stuff". Now, I try to argue about it with those people and they merely roll their eyes as they light their cigs :\

No form of tobacco is better than the other...All of its bad for you...I just think each is less harmful than the other.

I got "smoker's cough" for a while a while back and started coughing nasty stuff! pleh! Now there's some evidence against the rumor that hookah is supposedly not bad for you.
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:24 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
I got "smoker's cough" for a while a while back and started coughing nasty stuff! pleh! Now there's some evidence against the rumor that hookah is supposedly not bad for you.
it went away didnt it

totally means its ok then if it went away, totally,

dont ask questions
-matt
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:26 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
it went away didnt it

totally means its ok then if it went away, totally,

dont ask questions
-matt
Um well ya it did go away after a few days since I stopped smoking...But that doesn't automatically mean that its okay lol. Its pretty bad for my lungs but I'm sure if I was smoking cigs that it would be a hell of a lot worse.
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:39 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
Um well ya it did go away after a few days since I stopped smoking...But that doesn't automatically mean that its okay lol. Its pretty bad for my lungs but I'm sure if I was smoking cigs that it would be a hell of a lot worse.
jilly, shhhhhhhhhh dont ask questions, if it goes away it means it ok, just like when the really bad sound from your car stops it means it fixed it self

seriously i do agree with you but, if i feel ok then meh
-matt
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Johnny5
Hookah Newbie

Of couse Hookah is bad for you, you're breathing in smoke. Anyone who thinks it's not bad for you is crazy. Now, finding out how it compares to cigarette smoke would be interesting. There is no concrete evidence to support the 'fact' that it's worse than cigarettes, but I don't buy that it is. Yes, there's more smoke but there are no chemicals and there is less nicotine. Cigarettes are just plain disgusting. Whether the health risks are the same or even worse, I'd smoke Hookah over cigarettes any day.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook