Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

cigs vs. hookah.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
ThatTrevorGuy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ThatTrevorGuy
Default Re: cigs vs. hookah.

Wow this thread is old. Also a good topic for new comers to see.

Last edited by ThatTrevorGuy; July 27th, 2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

cigs taste like shit...smoking hookah dosent

cigs have multiple added chemicals.....hookah tobacco does not

honestly i dont care whats better its all harmfull to the body but...hookah is 10000 times more enjoyable than cigs are so id rather get the side effects of smoking from something that is actually fun and enjoyable to do than to sit around smoking shitty cigs and paying 5 dollars a pack and end up smoking it in 2 days when i can get 2 50gs of al fakher that will last me over a week for the same price

Last edited by Davis18; July 27th, 2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

MrMojoRisin is 100% right.. smoke is bad for you either way.. end of story.. but shisha smoke does NOT have all those extra added chemicals.. so hookah smoke would seem to be better for you, but then again no smoke is good for you..
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

If you completely think inhaling smoke isn't bad for you then you need to re-think your life. You don't inhale enough tar when smoking hookah to even notice it. The minimal amount of tar gets stuck in the water, in the stem, in the heart, and in the hose before even coming to your mouth. Tar sticks to cotton very easily; I have filled the heart of a Mya with Cotton balls and smoked a full session, to find a small 2 square-Cm blotch of something brown (and it smelled like shisha juice so it may have leaked from the stem into the heart through the threads which don't have an o-ring). Hookah smoke is white because there is no visible tar. Maybe if tar is pure white it is present, but tar is very noticeable while smoking cigs because it is particulate matter, and it ends up in the filter when aftr you smoke. That's what you are inhaling, plus hundreds of other highly toxic chemicals. I want to see them do a test on a person (who is experienced) smoking a hookah. Keeping the tobacco from burning is the top priority in hookah smoking, burning tobacco is the top priority in cig smoking.

Yes, inhaling anything but pure air is bad. No air is pure anymore unless you like in a forest anyway. Every study done is based on Cigarettes, not pure tobacco, which needs to be published. And then, they need to do what i stated above, that's the only way to prove anything at all.

It's bad, yes, but it's not as bad as any other type of smoking. No direct burning, no additives, no papers, no visible tar.

For all of you strictly hookah smokers, like me, i want you to even try to inhale a cig, just a quick inhale. It will burn and make you choke. After all this "terrible, bad" hookah smoking shouldn't you be able to inhale a cig? Why can i run 5 miles up the canyon, and 5 miles back without stopping or lack of breath, and I have been smoking for 5 years?
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

totally agree with you zen, just do want to point out that the scientific definition of tar is anything that is not nicotine (at least according to one of the studies i read about hookah, probably the best most correct study) so in lab tests even water vapor can count as tar but we know water vapor doesnt hurt you, hell i live in VA, water in the air you breath cant be that bad or else i would have died every summer

-matt
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

I'm not saying anything until good research is done on any and every form of tobacco intake. Which will never happen.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Kyle_Schneider
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Kyle_Schneider

ya know i'm not really sure. I just went to the doctor last wednesday and it was a new doctor so they asked a bunch of questions. one was if i smoked, which i do smoke cigarettes. i also added that i smoked hookah and he said, "well hookah isn't as bad because its just the molasses that you're smoking." i personally think cigs are worse because of all the harmful chemicals in them.
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

the only studies that I can somewhat agree with is that smoking hookah is probably more damaging to your lungs because the amount of smoke most people inhale
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:45 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishasmoke1904 View Post
the only studies that I can somewhat agree with is that smoking hookah is probably more damaging to your lungs because the amount of smoke most people inhale
but, cig smoke vs hookah smoke is much different, hookah smoke is more so vapor from steaming/baking where as cig smoke is from burning.

again nothing is good for you that you smoke pretty much but idk, i feel better after a long hookah session than after a cig or 2
-matt
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:46 AM
badjuju
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to badjuju

I dont know. I smoke both. I would say that hookah smoking is better for you, but also if you have been smoking for a long time it to me seems to not satisfy or curb my craving for a cig. I know people who have quit cigs and only smoke hookahs now and they have no problems. for me a hookah is better for you but is still no complete replacment.
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

First thing you guys should consider is cigarettes are condemned totally out of proportion to the risk and that is a result of tobacco research being politically motivated junk science. If any of you are up to reading a bit I suggest that you take a look at a critical examination of the famed and often cited Surgeon General reports on smoking which can be found here: http://www.lcolby.com/b-chap7.htm In terms of relative risk cigarette use entails less health risk then being a professional welder, a male homosexual, being obese or being poor. As the text points out, do to lack of adequate statistical controls the Surgeon General report may in fact be a better study of the risks of being poor then an appraisal of the risks of tobacco use. I would also recommend that you guys check out a book called “For Your Own Good” by Jacob Sullum which covers all sorts of aspects regarding public policy towards smoking.

As to narghile use I am of the opinion that no studies have been done that deserve to be taken seriously for the following reasons:

1) Coals not intended for narghile use are employed in such tests creating very high CO levels.
2) The tobacco is combusted fully in such tests which is only meaningful if one was to consider tombac instead of moassel or jurak use.
3) The cleanliness of the narghile, hose, bowl and mouth piece are never addressed.
4) Adequate controls for socioeconomic status and genetic variances are not taken into account.
5) Analysis of smoke content in terms of the flavourings, glycerin, type of sugar, tobacco & dyes used are not addressed.
6) All the studies use smoking machines which do not behave like real smokers
7) All the studies are underwritten by openly anti-tobacco groups like the WHO.
8) No attention is given to the issues of narghile height and volumetric capacity nor hose size.
9) No attention is given to actually smoking technique (ex does one inhale or not and if so, how often)

In the end I feel it reasonable to say that narghile use is basically an unknown risk but likely a substantial one which is less then cigarettes (which is exaggerated) provided you don’t regularly smoke tombac.
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
First thing you guys should consider is cigarettes are condemned totally out of proportion to the risk and that is a result of tobacco research being politically motivated junk science. If any of you are up to reading a bit I suggest that you take a look at a critical examination of the famed and often cited Surgeon General reports on smoking which can be found here: http://www.lcolby.com/b-chap7.htm In terms of relative risk cigarette use entails less health risk then being a professional welder, a male homosexual, being obese or being poor. As the text points out, do to lack of adequate statistical controls the Surgeon General report may in fact be a better study of the risks of being poor then an appraisal of the risks of tobacco use. I would also recommend that you guys check out a book called “For Your Own Good” by Jacob Sullum which covers all sorts of aspects regarding public policy towards smoking.

As to narghile use I am of the opinion that no studies have been done that deserve to be taken seriously for the following reasons:

1) Coals not intended for narghile use are employed in such tests creating very high CO levels.
2) The tobacco is combusted fully in such tests which is only meaningful if one was to consider tombac instead of moassel or jurak use.
3) The cleanliness of the narghile, hose, bowl and mouth piece are never addressed.
4) Adequate controls for socioeconomic status and genetic variances are not taken into account.
5) Analysis of smoke content in terms of the flavourings, glycerin, type of sugar, tobacco & dyes used are not addressed.
6) All the studies use smoking machines which do not behave like real smokers
7) All the studies are underwritten by openly anti-tobacco groups like the WHO.
8) No attention is given to the issues of narghile height and volumetric capacity nor hose size.
9) No attention is given to actually smoking technique (ex does one inhale or not and if so, how often)

In the end I feel it reasonable to say that narghile use is basically an unknown risk but likely a substantial one which is less then cigarettes (which is exaggerated) provided you don’t regularly smoke tombac.
Like I said, there will never be widely-accepted research on the effects of narghile smoking on the body due to anti-tobacco groups, one of which you mentioned (WHO). These groups would write off any real research that doesn't fit their agenda as nonsense and try their hardest to discredit the research team.
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Doomsday_Rob_V
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Doomsday_Rob_V

shisha has more tar they say .05 nicotine etc or 0.0 but thats when its in the container the tar isnt created untill its lit
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday_Rob_V View Post
shisha has more tar they say .05 nicotine etc or 0.0 but thats when its in the container the tar isnt created untill its lit
That depends on what you mean by tar. If you are being specific tar is solids that naturally occur in tobacco which are inhaled as the tobacco burns. That sort of tar is far less present in moassel and jurak then in cigarette tobacco for the simple reason that naturally occurring tar is removed during the agglutination process which makes the stuff we smoke sticky. I should also point out that the extensive fermentation/curing used to produce cigar/pipe/narghile tobaccos naturally removes alot of the tar and nicotine normally found in tobacco. To the extent that naturally occuring tar does exist in narghile tobaccos they are not inhaled for the simple reason that liquid content is supposed to be vaporized and the tobacco is not supposed to be literally consumed by fire.

However, in terms of generallized particulate solids narghile smoking does produce far more stuff that is in sme ways comparible to tar as a result of coal dust and the various agglutinates dropping out of suspension during the cooling of the smoke as it passes through the water. How much of it you are expossed to depends upon the size of the narghile, the size and possitioning of the hose, how clean your rig is, how well you manage heat and what sort of bowl you use.
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:57 PM
irishlips22
Hookah Newbie

I'm not sure which has the worse effect on the body, but i know the average smoke from one hookah hit is equivalent to about 80 hits of cigerette smoke.
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlips22 View Post
I'm not sure which has the worse effect on the body, but i know the average smoke from one hookah hit is equivalent to about 80 hits of cigerette smoke.
volume, maybe; chemicals and other stuff, i call bull
-matt
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Who told you that?
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Quote:
that is probably not true...
even if it is, cig's would still have more tar.
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Doomsday_Rob_V
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Doomsday_Rob_V

meh i dont care i just now that its good lol harmfull or not your more likely to be hit by a car lol
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:28 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Based on volume that is impossible. With a concentration that high the smoke would be nearly black. That is looking past the fact that it would be liquid at that point.
Hookah smoke is mostly vapor not actual smoke.
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:54 PM
pigpen
Hookah Newbie

I really have no opinion on this subject. But I did a visual test - unscientific of course. What the "test" shows is open to interpretation.
Basically I took a normal drag off a cig and exhaled into a white coffee filter.
The result was a mustard colored mess.
Then I did the same with the hookah - there was nothing visible on the paper at all.
I also inhaled directly through the paper with both.
There was a deep brown stain where I inhaled the cigarette smoke.
Again, nothing visible with the hookah.
I can not claim that this shows anything one way or the other But it IS interesting.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook