Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Do you guys leave tips at hookah lounges?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 15th, 2011, 03:59 AM
flup
Hookah Newbie

Default Do you guys leave tips at hookah lounges?

I go to this hookah lounge multiple times a week just to chill with friends, I know your supposed to give tips for any service, just like resturaunts etc... and they do service you with coals and stuff.

They got a tip jar which is usually empty since the younger crowd doesn't have much money, I usually pay with a card and leave a $5-$10 tip depending on how much people are with us, my friends always say I'm not supposed to, but I disagree...

Is it proper etiquette, do any of you guys do it? I'm not short on money so it's totally cool, just wondering if other people do it or not.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:04 AM
dave88
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Do you guys leave tips at hookah lounges?

i dont go to the lounge im to picky but if i did i would tip so i say you should if they take good care of you its proper to tip
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:04 AM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki

I always left a tip when i went.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:07 AM
flup
Hookah Newbie

I know what you mean on the picky part, I've been to some lounges out of town and it just drives me crazy, im pretty new to hookah, but know enough when they mess something up and it doesn't hit right.

This one however is a great place.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:17 AM
dave88
Hookah Aficionado

well like i said man tip em if there good its like going to a restaurant you tip the waitress when you go to a restaurant right if not dont go back there ya kno
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:33 AM
DerRivetBoi
Hookah Enthusiast

You don't not tip someone in the service industry.

It's bad manners.

It's a must.

The only time you don't tip someone is when they are bad. But even then, it is more proper to leave the infamous "penny tip". If you don't tip, they will think you are just being cheap. Penny tipping gets the point across.

So yes, always tip.
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

i tip when i can i used to work retail so i know what its like to give great service and not get tipped shit sucks

I am the true hookah troll, fear me or love me, you cannot hide from the troll he will find you... and make you rage.
Setup, KM Green Pear 36", Small Tangier's Phunnel, KM Rainbow and Nammor Hoses
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM
jdz2040
Hookah Nut

when i used to go to the lounge i tip, only cause the owner hooked me up with discounts every time i showed up
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM
FriscoFlame
Hookah Pro

I work at a lounge in Reno, and tipping is greatly appreciated, since I'm making minimum wage dring my hours and don't make a bonus per bowl. The past 3 nights I've worked I've had tables with an $80ish bill and the tip was a fatty goose-egg ($0) and the killer is that one of those tables went out of their way to tell my boss how much I kicked @$$ as a server.

But like everyne else said, tip accordingly to the quality of service: $#!t Service=$#!t Tip
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

yea tipping should be an across the board thing, not specific to a hookah lounge or bar or restaurant. If they take care of you well, tip. If you frequent or plan to frequent that place, tip better. If they have bad service, tip as seen fit (down to .01).

"From zero to hookah, in nothing flat."
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Thing-Fish
Hookah Nut

If the Shisha/service is good, I tip.
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Scootertaj
Hookah Guru

Like with every other service, I tip when deserved!
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Fun_Bunny
Hookah Nut

I only go to one and its a one owner and I never knew about tipping good thing I read this.
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

Depends on the style of loung I think, but 99% I would tip. The only one I've been to, you ordered a hookah at the front and paid first and they brought it to you, and refilled coals etc. But there was no tip jar and it was a very communal seating so tips I'm sure would be stolen.

The lounge I work at give you a bill when your done, jut like a restaurant. It's run like a restraunt so I'd expect a tip like a restaurant. However, I agree that even though a tip should be expected in a service business, it shouldn't he assumed you get one, as a waiter. A tip is exactly what it sounds like. If you think the staff was so great they deserve a bonus, you tip. In our world, it has come to a tip of 15-20% is 100% expected. I always tip 20% anywhere I go, however if Someones an compete asshole or negligent to the Service they get change(dimes pennies nickels, I keep the quarters for parking meters haha)
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Appleman
Hookah Pro

Auto 18% in every hookah bar I've been to so far in NY.
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:49 PM
MediaWAD
Hookah Nut

At the hookah lounge i went to in RI we were given a bill at the end just like a restaurant would. I say tip your "server" as you would a any other, if they deserve more give them more.

This lounge also serves drinks and (small) food items so we added tip for that anyway.
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

Regarding tips and lounges specificlly, I'd tip a minimum of 20% assuming it was average-excellent. Think about it this way:

In a restaurant, you bring food and take orders. You don't need to be proficient at anything really. In my opinion, the tip should go to the chef. At a lounge, you need to know how to pack and manage a hookah, and never even test it. Something not your average Joe can do. In my opinion, a lounge cost should cover the hookah, flavor, longevity, skill, and knowledge of the staffs ability. When I go into a lounge, I should be able to ask any question regarding hookah and have a half decent non-bullshit answer. Even if the answer is "honestly I dont know, but If i had to guess it would be this because of x, y, and z"(x,y,z be hookah based knowledge)

That is why you should tip lol
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:28 AM
GeniesLounge
Hookah Newbie

well said liner, at my lounge our waiters/waitresses bring food, bring coals, do the whole nine.

you order food it comes out once and generally the waiters check on you once. you order a hookah and your smoking for an hour-hour and a half. The waiter/waitresses come out and check on you every 15minutes.

my waiters/waitresses work on tips mainly, so it's a bummer to see when someone is sitting there smoking for at least 1 hour and a half and leave no tip.
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Always tip your hookahjerk! As a former hookahjerk myself, I can tell you it is appreciated.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:32 AM
imjpwutup
Hookah Nut

im on and off. Sure anyone can place coals but the real question is if they do it well. The lounge i usually go to cause its up the block, i leave $3. Reason being is they cant pack a bowl right and put way too many coals.

They burn my bowl thus giving me a less time to enjoy my smoke. The waitresses cant even tell me the brand they use ("SB is the best" so they claim). There I can say I'm a hookahjerk. I dont order food since paying $11 for what I can get for $5 at a Halal cart and bigger portions & better taste.

Also if the place charges me a "service fee" and doesnt explain its reasoning, I also assume that is tip.

To answer your question though; unless you are charged a "service fee", you should tip. In America, you're expected to tip upon the service in which is given. In Japan and Europe, tip is included or not expected.
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Mike
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerRivetBoi View Post
You don't not tip someone in the service industry.

It's bad manners.

It's a must.

The only time you don't tip someone is when they are bad. But even then, it is more proper to leave the infamous "penny tip". If you don't tip, they will think you are just being cheap. Penny tipping gets the point across.

So yes, always tip.
^^ "Like".... Well said, sir.

Smoke On!!!

Old March 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjpwutup View Post
im on and off. Sure anyone can place coals but the real question is if they do it well. The lounge i usually go to cause its up the block, i leave $3. Reason being is they cant pack a bowl right and put way too many coals.

They burn my bowl thus giving me a less time to enjoy my smoke. The waitresses cant even tell me the brand they use ("SB is the best" so they claim). There I can say I'm a hookahjerk. I dont order food since paying $11 for what I can get for $5 at a Halal cart and bigger portions & better taste.

Also if the place charges me a "service fee" and doesnt explain its reasoning, I also assume that is tip.

To answer your question though; unless you are charged a "service fee", you should tip. In America, you're expected to tip upon the service in which is given. In Japan and Europe, tip is included or not expected.
Im assuming that at the lounge your talking about they have different coal runners and packers. At the lounge I work at, and most Ive been to, have 1 MAYBE 2 people working at all times. At my work, you are the only one working, and thats it. so you have to do everything. pack bowls, run coals, plate food, make food, make drink, server, "chit chat" with the customers if they have questions etc. I usually like to talk anyway but thats a different story.

We also work mainly on tips, so it sucks to serve 4 tables for 2 hours each, be 100% attentive and follow their every request, and leave the day with 10 bucks. However the flip side is, its a job that I do love, and am passionate about
Old March 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM
imjpwutup
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerndunch110 View Post
Im assuming that at the lounge your talking about they have different coal runners and packers. At the lounge I work at, and most Ive been to, have 1 MAYBE 2 people working at all times. At my work, you are the only one working, and thats it. so you have to do everything. pack bowls, run coals, plate food, make food, make drink, server, "chit chat" with the customers if they have questions etc. I usually like to talk anyway but thats a different story.

We also work mainly on tips, so it sucks to serve 4 tables for 2 hours each, be 100% attentive and follow their every request, and leave the day with 10 bucks. However the flip side is, its a job that I do love, and am passionate about
I wouldnt even call them that cause the new kid he has preparing the bowls doesnt even ask how it taste and just smoke his own hookah. The waitresses are like the ditsiest in the world and throw way too many coals on the bowl.
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
jhall8975
Hookah Nut

i will reluctantly go to my local hookah lounge, because it attracts all of the people who are still stuck metaphorically in their early years of high school and go just to say they go smoke hookah with their friends, as much as i love hookah and the art of smoking and explaining to other people how hookah works, how its better than cigarettes and how to properly maintain a hookah, i still rarely go to lounges, whenever i go to a new one i will go hoping for good service and good people there, but lately i went to cloud 9 a hookah bar in ft wayne, indiana when i went up there, the people there were amazing and my party left about a total of a 30 dollar tip for the two girls working there, but all they had was Starbuzz, and they used the metal foil replacer things they send you when you buy a hookah, i had to go out to my car and get my hose to smoke because theirs was broken, and i had to also get my foil to plug up one of the hose ports that were letting the hookah not be airtight, even though the product was bad and severely disappointing, the servers were possibly the best ive ever had, i left a note to the owner directing him to this site so he could learn about hookahs and other brands of shisha and hopefully make his business a better place, but i do not know if he has joined or checked out this site.

but i try to leave a tip whenever i go to a lounge, but i base it off the servers more than the quality of the products
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

yea sadly, it is rare to find someone who really knows what theyre doing and talking about. But thats something I take pride in.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook