Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

buying first set up, questions

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default buying first set up, questions

ok so im going to buy my first hookah soon, i have some questions and some assumptions that i want to verify. im probably going to order form hookah-shisha.com

im looking at getting

-Lunar 2 hose hookah
-2 nammor hoses (the cobra hoses have a lot of complaints of rusting/corroding inside)
-heba diffuser
-a few extra bowls to play around and see what works out well for me
-general little pieces here and there (port plugs, hose caps, etc etc)
-exotica charcoal (it comes with 2 rolls of easy light and 2 packs of romans shisha)
-few packs on tangiers

i think the set up should be pretty good (ive used single hose versions of it, or they might have been the big brother but i dont think there will be much performance difference since the stem is just taller).

now i want to know, do the hoses have check valves or does it have a relief valve or are the hoses just straight open?

are there any little things that are not normally included that i need to think about getting or what not.

thanks
-matt
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N
Default Re: buying first set up, questions

hookah shisha gives you everything you need. but i would order different cleaning brushes then the ones they give you and i would also get different tongs because the ones that come are crap, i have then and they work but they suck.

the nammor hoses are amazing idk what ur talking about with the whole check valve in the hose, but there isnt one on the nammor hoses. the exoticas are great i would even suggest going with the three pack of them if you smoke everyday.

but other then that AMAZING order if i must day. idk what the lunar hookah is i have never heard of it.

EV4N
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

it is a beautiful rotator http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...?idproduct=132 im going to get the red and get some matching hose covers

thanks for the reply. i will look at theo other brushes and tongs, are the other ones they sell fine or look elsewhere?

if i cant get the tongs to do/be what i need i will just make some (im a crafts/material major going into metal so basically i will get to play with metals for the next 3 years of my life)
-matt
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N

yeah i would just order differnt tong there are a pair that are like .95 that are the same as the 3.50 pair just they are discolored. the onse they give you look like a pair of leg and where you grab the coals its feet, there are christmas trees on them and random shit like that. and the base cleaning brush they give you is not stiff at all so it if weird i think it is made out of like horse hair or something, i just went and bought one form albertsons for like .99 that works great.

and no problem i am also fairly new to hookah but i love to help other newbies

EV4N
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Tom16689
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tom16689

I wouldn't buy the rotator, they dont smoke very well. Also DONT GET RED! H-S red rotator bases lose their plastic coating after a few weeks.
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

well ive smoked the same rotator and didnt notice a problem. isn't the glass colored when it is blown? that is the impression i got. i know the blue ones are colored glass, are the red ones just different.

i take it you play paintball tom?
-matt
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Tom16689
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tom16689

If you like it then its all good.

The red base i had from H-S had a plastic film covering it that chipped off before the base eventually broke. (H-S replaced it with a blue one, no problems so far)

Yes i play paintball.
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

hmmm ok, im probably not going to be ordering for a while so i will try to research it more. ill have to go and really try to evaluate the ones at the local hookah bar and make sure its fine for me.
thanks

very cool, ive played for i guess coming up on 7 years

-matt
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
sabsz
Hookah Pro

I fucking hate my Comet (sorry for swearing but I had to illustrate how much I hate it), I will never go near a rotator ever again! But if you can get it working well enough by all means get it. However I definitely think you should do more research, there are cheaper and better hookahs out there. You are in the right place to ask questions and learn more about everything, read hookah reviews and do that testing thing at the hookah bar its a good idea. Good luck in finding your first hookah.

PS: Everything else on that list looks really good.
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

i wouldnt bother with a rotator, or a two hose for that fact either. just get a single hose and you are set! theres too many leaks and issues with multi hose, especially rotators...

Aside from that the only other thing i would say be cautious of is get something else besides tangiers. For a newbie it will be a bitch to get to smoke right. and you really should have experience with other, easier brands first
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

thanks guys, i will keep researching. i dont really like much of the other hookahs by looks on H-S but i need to go check out what stock my local place back home has.

tangizers isnt really intimidating me, some friends that have their own hookahs smoke it and that is what we normally order at the place back home (plus compared to the other things they have back home and especially here at school it is the best brand ive had, plus it has my favorite flavor of lime). ive seen the whole getting it acclimated or what not but i can always bug the guys at my good hookah bar how to get it right or just buy stuff they have already gotten right.

thanks again
-matt
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
if i cant get the tongs to do/be what i need i will just make some -matt
Go to H-S's clearance area. They have better tongs there (although discolored). Much better than the mya tongs and they only want a buck for 'em.

Old April 20th, 2008, 08:09 AM
guerila
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to guerila Send a message via MSN to guerila Send a message via Yahoo to guerila

well i dont like rotators b/c they rust easily and besides i dont like their look..
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

As far as I understand it the rotator is to make it easier to keep a hose pointed, and passing it around. If you get a multiple hose hookah you aren't gonna have the need to rotate it really... The Rotator style hookah is notorious for its inability to be effectively cleaned, and rust issues to boot. If that is the style you like, then surely go for it, hookah is supposed to be what you enjoy.
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
ok so im going to buy my first hookah soon, i have some questions and some assumptions that i want to verify. im probably going to order form hookah-shisha.com

im looking at getting

-Lunar 2 hose hookah-
-2 nammor hoses (the cobra hoses have a lot of complaints of rusting/corroding inside)
-heba diffuser
-a few extra bowls to play around and see what works out well for me
-general little pieces here and there (port plugs, hose caps, etc etc)
-exotica charcoal (it comes with 2 rolls of easy light and 2 packs of romans shisha)
-few packs on tangiers

i think the set up should be pretty good (ive used single hose versions of it, or they might have been the big brother but i dont think there will be much performance difference since the stem is just taller).

now i want to know, do the hoses have check valves or does it have a relief valve or are the hoses just straight open?

are there any little things that are not normally included that i need to think about getting or what not.

thanks
-matt
-Lunar 2 hose hookah- DONT EVER BUY A 2 HOSE ROTATOR!!!! EVER! Think about it.... it rotates.. it's meant to have only 1 hose. A 2 hose non-rotator can handle 360 degrees of hose passing (180 degrees each hose) or more. It will sit and swivel while you smoke. And they are over-priced, always bent, and not made of stainless steel most of the time. If you are spending that much money, get a Mya.

a few extra bowls to play around and see what works out well for me- The H-S phunnel is a large and is only good if you plan to be smoking for over 3 hours

-exotica charcoal (it comes with 2 rolls of easy light and 2 packs of romans shisha)- They don't have the new shipment yet of "improved" Exoticas, get CocoNara's. You don't need ot cut them, they burn evenly, they have no taste, just a minor smell when lighting (like all nat. coals).

-few packs on tangiers- don't order too much, you might not be able to smoke it.
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ok, well i will talk to the guys down at my local place, while i understand all the warnings on rotators i wonder why these same models would be used at a hookah bar.

rusting im not to worried about, im used to working with metals that are prone to rust and am rather anal about drying off things after i wash them but i will keep the warnings in mind.

my thinking on the 2 hose was more so i could chill with a friend and smoke hookah and not have to worry about passing back and forth and hogging but i guess the point of a rotator null and voids many of the reasons to have multiple hose ones.

for the coals i wont be getting it for a while (maybe not even until august just because i wont have a good reason to use it back home since i hookah to run into friends but up here at school i want good quality like i have at home) and i will probably try a few different brands but the exotica i saw just have the best response over all but i do see some of the issues some have had.

god to know on how long it smokes for the large phunnel, i am thinking about getting one of the glass or metal mods so i dont have to use a piece of foil in the bottom and saw that some take up extra room to save on shisha.

im not suer if you warned about the tangiers due to just the amount or how it smokes but i figured out how much i will smoke of it and am used to smoking it.

thanks, i do appreciate all the heads up and the warnings, i will ask around to the hookah place that has them for about half of their stash.

-matt
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

I must say the hookah bars here dont use rotators, they use straight up single hose hookahs, most of the MZs. So if you want good quality look at Madgys. Great quality for a cheaper price than a rotator.

Large phunnels will last you way too much for a single smoke session, unless your talking about 2 to 4 others. that bowl holds around 100 grams of tobacco. and not only could you get sick of it. that would get too expensive to use every time. The mods are pretty nice to have though to some people, it does take up less tobacco, and can improve smoke flavor.

I (and im sure most here) advice against Tangiers because of the amount of care and experimenting it takes to get it to smoke right. And to buy nothing but it isnt a good idea. You have to let it acclimate, and you have to pack and heat it a specific way. It will take you a few sessions to get it right, even if watch videos on youtube. I have a pack of it and it took me about 6 tried to get it smoking good enough to not have to worry about it.

Gotta be careful with Tangiers. Get some starbuzz or AF on top of that just in case.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

thanks,

im confused cause at H-S they said its a large phunnel but its 25-50 grams where as other places have 3 sizes and list much different sizes. ill check when i order it to make sure which it really is but any one know which it really is?

i will make sure to get some other shisha to make sure i dont just get frustrated, i do appreciate all the heads up

-matt
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

The phunnel that H-S advertizes is actually a medium.

Here's the three sizes:

Left to right -- Small, Medium and Large.
The bowl sizes are as follows:

Small:
2 3/4" wide x 3/4" deep

Medium:
3" wide x 1/2" deep

Large:
3" wide x 3/4" deep

Old April 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

The one I bought (and subsequently got broken) from h-s was large.. It was deeper than the mediums I bought from a different company(cant rember which).
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook