Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Natural vs. Quick Light Coals

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
deadfallkid
Hookah Newbie

Talking Natural vs. Quick Light Coals

Hi,
I'm new to the game and wondering the taste difference between natural coals (Exotica) and Quick Light Coals (Golden Coals). Golden Coals are coming with my hookah, but I would imagine they could have a chemical taste. Just to be safe I ordered a box of Exoticas to be safe. What do you think? Let me know, thanks.
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n
Default Re: Natural vs. Quick Light Coals

awww man you cant go wrong with exoticas. sure it takes more to get em going unlike quick lights, but its worth the wait. plus just multi task and it makes it easier on you.

With exoticas there will be no added taste, because theres no chemicals i believe, and they last longer and just overall are better. Save the gold kings for when your in a pinch, when your either out of exoticas or out and there are no burners around lol.

OH one more thing, if you have a glass top stove, dont throw coals on top of that, you risk breaking it

Edit: welcome to hookah pro btw. if youve got any other question dont hesitate to ask us!

Last edited by Raid3n; April 20th, 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

I use BelgianQLs and Bilal lemon wood naturals. I never had a taste issue with the Belgians. The only time I use the lemons is when I want better heat control. I've never used Exoticas or Goldens so really can't tell you if either are good or bad.
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

first, welcome to the forum!
Personally, naturals are always prefferable. Like raiden stated, save your qls for an emergency.Also, it's very important , regardless of what kind of coal you use, to be sure the coal is COMPLETELY lit on both sides before smoking. Doing otherwise risks carbon monoxide exposure.
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
deadfallkid
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
awww man you cant go wrong with exoticas. sure it takes more to get em going unlike quick lights, but its worth the wait. plus just multi task and it makes it easier on you.

With exoticas there will be no added taste, because theres no chemicals i believe, and they last longer and just overall are better. Save the gold kings for when your in a pinch, when your either out of exoticas or out and there are no burners around lol.

OH one more thing, if you have a glass top stove, dont throw coals on top of that, you risk breaking it

Edit: welcome to hookah pro btw. if youve got any other question dont hesitate to ask us!
I just happen to own a single burner, electric, hot plate. After seing Sambooka use his stove on YouTube, i figured this was the best way to do it. I also figured it would be cool, because it can sit on the table next to the hookah.
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Abu makes a very good point. And always keep in mind anything anyone says is best is by their own experiences. You need to try both and see what you find.

Last edited by Kwikwi; April 20th, 2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfallkid View Post
I just happen to own a single burner, electric, hot plate. After seing Sambooka use his stove on YouTube, i figured this was the best way to do it. I also figured it would be cool, because it can sit on the table next to the hookah.
good man good man. you cant go wrong with just about anything SamB puts in videos, except licking his leila lol. jk. I use a small coil too so i know how nice they are. And also what Kwikwi said, its also preference. It's all about what works for you. people here have many preferences for that perfect smoke everytime
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

CocoNara's or Belgian Natural discs from South Smoke are my favorite, and the best.

Exoticas are just a hassle.

Golden QL Coals from h-s and Nazar are justa s good as Nat. Coals, and easier to use and have the best heat management, but just cost too damn much. And after the foil is open for a week you have to light them on a stove outside, if you have a portable, cause the powder stuff that ignites goes dead in the air.
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfallkid View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the game and wondering the taste difference between natural coals (Exotica) and Quick Light Coals (Golden Coals). Golden Coals are coming with my hookah, but I would imagine they could have a chemical taste. Just to be safe I ordered a box of Exoticas to be safe. What do you think? Let me know, thanks.

I don't get a taste from exoticas, and if you let the golden's ash over you shouldn't have a taste with those either. Exoticas are nice but sometimes I wish that I had a box of golden quicklights just in case I don't have time to cook the exoticas; for example, when I come home from lunch.
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:13 AM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

Ideally, coals should have NO taste at all. The coals should be hot enought to ignite the tobacco, and impart no flavor to the tobacco. I echo the advice. If you use QL coals, light them outside, and let the pre-igniter burn off completely, outside, before you place the coal on the foil. I prefer to use different coals. I use the QL, if I do not wish to wait for a japanese coal to light. I normally use Jap. coals, they are very easy to light (with a blowtorch-type lighter), and burn very clean.

When I am going to smoke for some hours, I will use the natural type coals, they are the longest to light, but they burn very hot, and make for an excellent smoke.
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Naturals are the way to go. If you only use QL's you don't know what you're missing. All QL's impart a taste. If you doubt me smoke with naturals for a month or so then one day use a QL! Nasty crap.
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:26 AM
stan152008

even though i've never used exoticas i would prolly go with them like ever1 says save the QL's for emergencies. exoticas last longer and do not taint the taste of the flavour however withQL's you can taste sum of the chemicals!!
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

I've switched over to Golden Charcoals ever since I had a great smoke with Eric Hoffman of Tangiers.

I'll keep the Exoticas around for parties, but the Goldens are for me.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook