Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

A good starting point.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 17th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Sheps
Hookah Newbie

Default A good starting point.

Hey everyone!,

Hopefully this is the right place to put a question like this. (I've read all the guidelines and this seems like it'd be the spot!)

I'm no hookah pro, I've smoked hookah a few times in little cafes or friends houses, and decided that it'd be a fun item to have around the house!

Recently I've been shopping around online to find a good starter hookah, and have been thoroughly trying to scrounge up as much research as I can on where I can find the right pipe at the best price.

After a little browsing, I stumbled upon this website (http://genuinehookahs.com/mya_hookahs.html) and was quite interested in the 28' acrylic package.

But it seems that that particular seller has a 'spotty' reputation, and I really don't want to start off my hookah experience with being swindled.

Can anyone recommend a good hookah/shisha/etc combo that I should start with? And where I can find it?

I've been to tons of sites, and I'm not sure where to start. I've read the vendor reviews, and those have been some help.

I'm thinking that acrylic is the way to go (to avoid accidents,) and I'm hoping to spend less or just about $100 US.

Thanks so much for your time, and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Sheps

Old June 17th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Das_messiah
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: A good starting point.

I can personally recommend www.hookahcompany.com. I've spoken with George on the phone and he seems like a hell of a guy. Even did me a favor, when it really wasn't necessarily his responsibility. They have good prices and Barring actually buying from MYA direct, for me its a good shot. He also has a really good selection.

I can also by way of word of mouth recommend social smoke and MNhookah.

I can't recommend acrylics. Not that they are bad, I just have never used one. But, that aside I think I would start out with an egyptian. Acrylics have broken, especially when screwing them together, so don't just get it for the durability. I have had a very small syrian, mya vortex and a bohemian, all glass last over 1 years and two of them over 2 years. The thing thats most likely to break is really the bowl. And I have had all of them knocked over at parties. Again, I cannot recommend for or against acrylics though.
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:32 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Depending on the size of hookah, you can a hell of alot for less than $100.

I've never ordered from GH myself, I hadn't heard the greatest, but as I haven't dealt with them myself, I truely can not say. I have ordered from MNHookah, Hookah Company, Nargile Club, Hookah-Shisha, and a few others, and can vouch for their products and customer service.

As Das_M said, acrylic may not be the way to go. Yes, they have certain advantages, but they also have their CONS. I myself don't have an acrylic, I prefer the look and feel of a glass base - I also have 4 hookahs, 3 of which are functional. The oldest (Egyptian) is out of use after several (3 years) of HARD use, but it wasn't in the greatest shape when purchased. I currently use (2) different Syrian style hookahs and 1 Modern and I wouldn't trade them for nothing.

As I stated before: for $100 you can get alot of hookah depending on what size you are looking for, even if you calculate shipping in.

Are you looking for portability? How many hoses? Color? Style?
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Sheps
Hookah Newbie

Hey, thanks a bunch for those quick responses!

So I've decided that I'd like something in the 20-26' range, with 1-2 hoses. I do quite like the look of some of the simpler Egyptian styles, especially with those cobra-head hoses!

After browsing through all the options on the sites you recommended ( BIG thanks to sammniamii and Das_messiah,)
This pipe http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...7&idproduct=94 seems to be just about right. It looks like it's got all the bells and whistles included in the package, and I'd just have to get a few more coals/shisha.

It is, however, one of the smaller ones there. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $12 to upgrade to the 26 inch model.

So that's where I am right now, does this seem like a pretty solid setup to start me out?

P.S. Thanks to this whole community for being so helpful and responsive!
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

You might also want to check out www.Nazarhookah.com (has inexpensive hookahs), www.mnhookah.com (great packages) and www.hookahcompany.com (decent packages), or even check out the www.Nargileclub.com (has several different items at amazing prices!)

All these companies are reputable and are in our vendor review sections.

As for GH- i've used him , but he's very shotty. One item you might recieve in 2-3 weeks another you might recieve in a month or 2 or not at all. He has good prices, but personally it's not worth the risk.

As for the acrylics- I love mine. I've had it for 2 years, never had issues with it. I have a one hoser that i've turned into a two hoser. It's 23' inches and it's has three green rings. I've dropped it, tipped it, put ice in it and it's great. I dont understand how people strip you can feel when it's threaded wrong/ see when its wrong with these hookahs!

( I also like traditional hookahs as well! so either is good. Just pick whichever you like the most!!! Both will smoke well.)

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old June 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
PerznPerversion
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to PerznPerversion

nazarhookah has amazing prices for some his of hookahs and has great customer service

Mnhookah.com is just as good =-) i would buy from one of them

and i would go for a one hoser if i were u
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM
BxxxD
Hookah Newbie

I can personally vouch for the 26" from Hookah-Shisha - http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...7&idproduct=98

It's the hookah I use and it smokes like a champ. I'm not sure if it is better than the smaller model, but I know it has everything i want and need.
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Glad to see everybody offering you such great advise Sheps!
... Great group of people here, in the community ... Glad to have ya join the group!

Ok, so my advise, would be to check out the vendor review section of the community.
Also, check out the vendor discount codes ... these discount codes are provided especially for Hookah Pro Members.

I have ordered from MNH, once before, and had good service. I have not ordered from Nazar Hookah yet, but he seems to have some great prices, and a good discount, plus they have some 30" hookahs with single or double cobra hoses. Hookah-Life seems to have some great prices as well. My next two orders will be with those vendors, so I can write reviews on their service. NargileClub doesn't have a discount code, but the prices are pretty reasonable even without a discount code. If you order from the NargileClub, get a bag of the coconut coals, to try em' out ... I really like those a lot!

In no particular order, I like these hookahs ... actually, I really like the khalil maamoon!

http://www.hookah-life.com/StoreBox/...hex-000200.htm

http://nazarhookah.com/index.php?mai...&products_id=8

http://mnhookahs.com/product_info.ph...products_id=99

Hope that helps, if you decide on a few hookahs, and need some help deciding, post about it, I am sure people will be willing to give you opinions on the ones you are considering...

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

First of all I would recommend avoiding Genuine Hookahs. Iíve heard so many horror stories that it seems crazy to buy anything from that guy. Likewise, I strongly recommend staying away from any ebay sellers other then Taqseem and Caravansarai. Those two are decent suppliers by all accounts.

Beyond that Iíd like to state that when buying a narghile itís important to not focus primarily upon saving a few dollars. Instead, you should be looking for something that will last you a lot of years and remember that youíll spend far more on charcoal and shisha in a year then you will on your rig so make sure that you get something that is well built rather then thinking primarily about price. For get about anything less then 50 or so USD.

Personally, am a against acrylic because itís easily cross threaded and broken. I would recommend a well made Egyptian or Syrian rig with a solid brass core because they last for ever smoke far better then the Chinese made MYA products that are sold are everywhere. khalil Maamoon makes great stuff but Iíd also recommend El'Ashrey although Arabica Souk products are fantastic as are lots of other Syrian made narghiles.

Companies I can recommend from personal experiance:

- Jimmy Zaid (heís a member here) of Hookahs ETC who has some great Syrian stuff so drop him a line
- www.Nargileclub.com (great Syrians and service)
- www.hookahcompany.com (Great service and very fine Egyptian and Syrian products)
- www.sphinxhookah.com ( nice Khalil Maamoons and service and some hard to get stuff)
Arabica Souk (I canít recall the URL so PM if you want if)
while I have not personally gotten anything from Nazar I have heard nothing but positive things about him so Iíd say he deserves your consideration.

I hope this help.
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:40 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Out of all the companies being recommended, id go with HookahCompany. They have better quality stuff then the other guys, usually cheaper prices, and George is the shit (I personally do business with him)

Good Luck.

If all else fails, feel free to check out my new site; Look at my Signature.
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahETC
Out of all the companies being recommended, id go with HookahCompany. They have better quality stuff then the other guys, usually cheaper prices, and George is the shit (I personally do business with him)

Good Luck.

No

If all else fails, feel free to check out my new site; Look at my Signature.
No doubt George at the Hookah Company is a great fellow and his company is one of the better ones. Still, i'd say that 5 or 6 other good sources exist for genuine, high quality rigs at reasonable prices in the states. Anyone of them would be worthy of our support.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Sheps
Hookah Newbie

Well, I ended up buying a 22" Egyptian style with enough shisha/accessories to keep me happy!

Can't wait until it arrives!

Thanks for all the help and input everyone, you've all been more than kind!

I think I'll stick around, I'm a huge lurker but I'll try to post from time to time.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

well which one did you end up buying!?? Share the pics with us

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook