Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Making your own shisha

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23
Default Making your own shisha

The following takes place at my high school
So today, I was in class, and we have two hour classes because the underclassman have some test to take. And I was thinking...
I was thinking about growing my own tobacco plants for personal use. Then I thought about making my own shisha to smoke. Has anyone here made home-made shisha?
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N
Default Re: Making your own shisha

that sounds like a crazy plan. i hope it works out for you and if it does hit me up because i would love to try. i want to get my hands on some of the native stuff that is flavored with only spices and thing of that matter.

EV4N
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

yea it would be awesome to try....id say go for it you will just have to know the conditions in which the tobacco grows and you should be good

good luck man
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Tobacco needs to be "topped" while it's growing , meaning that the flower stalk is removed. You would also have to inspect and hand pick tobacco and tomato hornworms from your leaves unless you plan to use pesticides on them. Here is a picture of a tobacco hornworm...

and here's a picture of a tomato hornworm...

lovely critters aren't they? You would also need to find a place to cure the leaves after harvest. There is alot more work to growing tobacco then people think. By the time you plant, fertilize, pick hornworms off of it, top it and cure it you might as well buy roll your own tobacco from an online store to make your own shisha out of. I'm not trying to talk you out of trying this, but just letting you know it's really more trouble than it's worth.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:32 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I ve tried a couple of times to make my own shisha and i have to admit only one was succesful but still not on par with branded shisha. I was using tobacco, glycerin, food flavourings and escences. The escences worked just fine. the hole room smelled like strawberries and chocolate. But the flavour wasnt so strong. (if you exhaled through the nose it was awesome but no taste on the tounge)
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:05 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

making your own tobacco is just like making your own coal,, its time wasting and for the price not worth at all
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

hey DMC you should smoke a Tobacco Hornworm! LOL
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:28 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

uhmmm tasty :P send me some.. here is too cold i dont think i will find any hehe
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

its difficult to make your own shisha. just dry the leaves, cut it to small pieces and put 1 teaspoon of glycerine and 2 teaspoons of molasses (for 30g of rawtobacco) together and heat it up to about 70°C (dont know in °F). then put it to the cutted tobacco. wait until its cold again and put it to an airtight box (e.g. tupperware) and wait 24 hours. then you have your own shisha without any flavour. if you want a flavour you should use special hookah flavored molasses or maybe flavors for baking or sth. like this. i didnt try it yet, but i read this is also working
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Takes about three years of aging doing it at home. Fresh dried tobacco is too harsh to smoke...and has an almost deadly amount of nicotine in it.... suppose you could ferment it tho to take some time off of it.

I grew a few tobacco plants bout 3 years ago... pain in the ass... and a poor result... but Im horrible with gardening.

I have made some OK shisha using chewing tobacco that I have soaked for a few days...rinsed and dried... then.... made some better shisha with Asfahan tobacco. Admittedly, few of my attempts were worth smoking.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

i have access to asfahan, but haven't found a recipe worth trying.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Hornworms would be a concern for me. It would be fun to do, just for like, a hobby, but if I do end up growing tobacco, i'll trick some people into buying it for massive amounts of cash, and go buy some fusion with it.
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

Dunkel is right,he knows his gardening. I grew 25 tobacco plants last summer for the first time. Damn it was alot of work.First of all, Make sure you have the room to do it.one plant needs about 4 feet by 4 feet.these plants will rob each other of nutrients if planted to close together resulting in small leaves.As for a pesticide I made one with (roll your own tobacco,garlic,liquid dish soap,and water) sounds weird but it worked.
when it comes to harvesting,you should have a hothouse or a kiln ready for curing,if you don't you could end up with little black specs on your leaves which are probably mold spores.long story short I ended up with no tobacco,I should have just paid for a bag of tobacco on the Indian Reserve.
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

i have been working on making my own stuff, but im doing it on purchased tobacco. if i could get some unflavored but washed tobacco itd make this easier.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook