Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Old fashioned packaging

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Old fashioned packaging

During my last business trip I got about 2 kilos of a couple of different Al Buhturi flavours and mailed them off to people that told me they wanted to try them. When I bought it I got a kick out of how old fashioned shisha is packaged some times. When you go to the shisha shop they have a display case with the various flavours which you can smell and look at. Behind the counter they have little wooden or clay barrels that they store the shisha in. You tell the old guy behind the counter what you want and he asked you "how many days worth of smoke you need" and if you say 5 he takes a large clay bowl and scoops up some shisha, levels it with is his finger and dumps it on to some wax paper 5 times. He then asks if you will smoke it soon and when I said no he tied some string around it and poured wax all over the outside to seal it. He then slaps a little sticker on it with some Arabic that says what sort of shisha it is (some have a little company logo) and you pay him.

No boxes, no vacuum packs, plastic tubs just paper, wax and string.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; April 29th, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:28 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Default Re: Old fashioned packaging

what country?
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Most recently Syria but i've seen the same sort of thing in Iran and Turkey (not in the big cities)
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

wow, what city in Syria?
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The shop was in a little town called Safita ( in Arabic: صا فيتا) that is famous for it’s ancient fortifications. It’s near Tartus (In Arabic: طرطوس ) which is a port city that has great cafes, shops and an all around tourist trap. Both are wonderful places to visit.
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
ThatTrevorGuy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ThatTrevorGuy

Hhaha wow that's crazy. That would def be a trip!
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

It's funny when you go to these places and the locals are always like "are you lost?" and you tell them you want to smoke they always say something like "no cigarettes here, go to the cafe down the way". They just can't seem to grasp the idea that Europeans like narghiles. When you tell it's popular in the states and Europa they always think i'm kidding and when I tell them about the more more popular shisha in the U.S. they've never heard of it but once you get to talking with them they are always talking about how the local stuff is better then shisha from Saudi Arabia, Egypt or what ever.

Anyway, Tartus is a great town and the Syrian coast is pretty nice if you don't mind all the modern stuff and tourists.
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:45 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i passed through there quickly a few times, i should have stopped to smell the roses,
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:47 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

yo john if you packaged like that...I'd waste the gas to go down to your shop.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraaiKar View Post
yo john if you packaged like that...I'd waste the gas to go down to your shop.
that's such an awesome marketing idea! but i don't thinki'll make any money, wait a second, maybe your on to something! what if i did? ok, you set the wheels in motion, it could be like my own soup kitchen and i could be the soup nazi of shisha, NO SHISHA FOR YOU!
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:41 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Traditional mussel ,i.e. not using glycerin, doesnt need to be airtight. I've had open nakhla boxes for years and still smoke the same as they used to.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

That place sounds awesome Hajo! I am really excited about the Al Buhturi, you are the only person that has ever been able to find it for me!!! I love that stuff from the first sample you sent me ... I am going to do a review on it still, I am sorry I haven't yet ... I forgot how good it was ... so I will have to do it on the new one.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:08 AM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

thats pretty neat .. almost like a butcher shop but for shisha lol, did they make the shisha there to?
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
that's such an awesome marketing idea! but i don't thinki'll make any money, wait a second, maybe your on to something! what if i did? ok, you set the wheels in motion, it could be like my own soup kitchen and i could be the soup nazi of shisha, NO SHISHA FOR YOU!
I think I meet the Shisha Nazi on another trip to Tyre about 3 years back. I went into a shop that had Najd in the title and it was owned by some grumpy Saudi guy. I heard he had great stuff and waited for about a hour to get into his shop. The owner asked some guy in line what sort of coals he uses and the guy said “Torch” (a quick light) and the owner yelled at him and told him to come back when he learned to smoke. Another guy in line was told to leave when he said he wanted something light and fruit tasting and the owner said “fruit is for children not smoking stay out of my shop”. The owner told a third customer that if didn’t like some brand he carries he had no sense and “should smoke nakhla with donkeys” or something to that effect.

The shop carried mostly jurak and black style shisha.
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Hiya Samb. I think you’ll love the stuff I sent because it’s really complicated flavour wise. I’ve found out that all the really good stuff stays pretty close to where it’s made and we only get stuff that is made in multi-ton batches.

Speel, Basically it is like an old fashioned butcher shop. I’m not sure but I think they did make some stuff right at the shop but they wouldn’t sell me any.
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I can't wait!!! The Al Buhturi you sent me before was fantastic, and sooooooo different from all the other tobaccos available here

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Redneckwoman688
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Redneckwoman688 Send a message via Yahoo to Redneckwoman688 Send a message via Skype™ to Redneckwoman688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I think I meet the Shisha Nazi on another trip to Tyre about 3 years back. I went into a shop that had Najd in the title and it was owned by some grumpy Saudi guy. I heard he had great stuff and waited for about a hour to get into his shop. The owner asked some guy in line what sort of coals he uses and the guy said “Torch” (a quick light) and the owner yelled at him and told him to come back when he learned to smoke. Another guy in line was told to leave when he said he wanted something light and fruit tasting and the owner said “fruit is for children not smoking stay out of my shop”. The owner told a third customer that if didn’t like some brand he carries he had no sense and “should smoke nakhla with donkeys” or something to that effect.

The shop carried mostly jurak and black style shisha.

WOW!!!I would've been cracking up at that if I was standing there listening to the owner throw people out. That is so funny. He definitely was a "My way or the highway" kind of man lol...
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Yeah that guy was a trip but thing is my Arabic is about non-existent so I didn't get much more then that he was pissed although I made out the word nahkla. I found out was said afterwards from a buddy that went with me into the shop.

When I got to the counter the grumpy guy looked at me and said "Straw hair, you in the right place?" and I explained to him that I wanted to buy some shisha. He looked at me and ask me what sort of stuff I smoke and when I told him said "not your fault you don't know what is good" and he then grabbed a couple of jurak pastes and told me to talk to some guys hanging out in the back about how to smoke it. He ended the conversation saying that if I don't like it i'm not good enough for it.
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Lol thats funny
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

man you've been around huh?
i am going to ask my relatives about this place and see if they know about it. also, if they know about the old fashioned packaging.
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:38 PM
kruset
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to kruset

thats freaking cool man i want some
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
man you've been around huh?
i am going to ask my relatives about this place and see if they know about it. also, if they know about the old fashioned packaging.
Are you from Tyre?
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:03 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

no, but one of the only attractions i haven't seen in lebanon. next time i go i will see it for sure.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:54 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Lebanon is a beautiful country but frankly I find it too Westernized for my tastes. When I travel I prefer to not run into pop culture stuff and see kids that look just like I did when I was growing up (save the Nordic features obviously). Still, the sites are fantastic and the people pretty easy going so it's fun in a lot of ways.
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Great stories Hajo, I would love to hang out with you someday!

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook