Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Cleaning

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

Default Cleaning

so i forgot to order a brush set to clean my hookah...i have seen the video online about making ur own brush but i cant get it to work...so is there anything i can do or make to clean my hookah stem untill i can get a brush set?
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: Cleaning

Get some of the green scrub pads, and cut strips .. then bend a coat hanger over the top of the strip to hook it. Hope that makes sense?

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
mrMojoRisin
Hookah Nut

WalMart might sell dish scrubbing brushes that fit in the vase. Look around at stores for something like that, that's my suggestion.

As for the stem, find an old shirt, cut it into a thick strip, and use the coat hanger to push it through. Then just clean it with the piece of a shirt. Hope that helps!

| 40" Temsah Caramana | [HOWTO] DIY Hookah Hose Hanger | Coffee Can Wind Cover |

Last edited by mrMojoRisin; May 8th, 2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i would pull it through instead of push. whenever i pushed the brillo pad with the coat hanger, even when it was bent it would go right through it.

when you make a hook and pull it through it seems to work better.
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
skydivemd
Hookah Newbie

If you want a brush set that straight out beats any of the ones you can buy from an online hookah vendor here is what you need to do.

Go to your local Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Sporting Goods Store, etc. and purchase a "universal gun cleaning kit" -- make sure it is set up for pistols, rifles, and shotguns). This whole set up will cost you ~10.00 - 12.00. It should include a lot of accessories and some small scrubby looking things. Following where I'm going with this... Also pick up some 100% cotton "patches" while you are there.

Now, the "ram rod" should come in three pieces and be made of brass or aluminum (doesn't matter) - one piece with a handle and 2 screw-on extensions. Perfect! you can custom tailor the length depending on the size of the hookah you are cleaning. From 10" pumpkin to 35" Egyptian you'll be the bad-ass on the block, able to scrub the entire length of your hookah stem in a single pass. How kick ass is that!

For best leverage, start by just using the short rod with the handle attached. Screw on the bronze brush marked ".22" This will give you good leverage to clean inside the pipes of the blow-off tube and the hose port from the bottom. If the holes are a little bigger, then just trade up in size of scrubber until you find the right one. There should be some resistance, just not a lot, ok.

To clean the top/opening side of the hose port again just use the short piece with the handle. Attach the brush marked ".40 or .44 or .45" never can tell what they are going to give you. Twirl, jimmy, and work up a sweat getting this bad boy all around the inside of the hose port end and don't be afraid to muscle it down there a little bit. The brush can and will bend, but this will not damage it permanently (just requires a pliers to straighten it back out). I have done this on numerous occasions and make no promises that you won't be the super-duper luck 1-in-100,000,000 customer to find a faulty weld and snap or separate something. Just use common sense and a gentle touch. You're cleaning it after all, not beating it like it owes you money!

Finally to clean the stem, remove the scrubby end from short handle. Attach the 2 additional pieces that came in the kit to make yourself one super long hookah scrubber. Now start by using the .40 or .44 or .45 brush that came with the kit (it's won't fit snugly, but will loosen up large bits of grime. Rinse out the stem. If you have one, switch the brush to a "20/28 gauge shotgun brush". This will most probably require a special little bronze adapter to attach it to your "ram rod" but don't worry, it is supplied in the kit. Wet the shotgun brush, sprinkle it liberally with baking soda, and gently ease it into the stem. At first there will be some resistance so choke up close to the brush to guide it in. Gently push it all the way through until it literally pops out the other end. Now, just pull it back towards you. Do this 6 or 8 times then rinse out the stem. (word of warning: do not try to pause mid-way through pushing this large brush through the stem and backing it out. you need to push it all the way through and then either remove it or pull it back towards you. no going half way, OK?)

I have used this method on multiple hookahs (mine and friends) with both brass and stainless stems and have not yet seem to have experienced any problems. Please do not construe this as any type of implied warranty or guarantee or satisfaction. And probably to CMA, always make sure your hookah is UNLOADED before attempting to disassemble or clean it - we don't want any accidents!.

While you are at the sports store (etc. / whatever) you can also look for nylon brushes for quickie cleanings when the pipe isn't that crudded up. I was forced to use the phospho-bronze when I first got my MZ because they used a corrosive cleaner/flux/whatever on the weld line and I had rust in my brand new honey-bunny hookah.

Best of luck all and let me know how it works out for you!

Rick
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

You know what sky, I totally forgot to mention the gun cleaning kit! Also you can use an instrument cleaning kit for like a trombone!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Eazyone23
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Get some of the green scrub pads, and cut strips .. then bend a coat hanger over the top of the strip to hook it. Hope that makes sense?
Thats a great idea Father ... I was thinking on what to use till i find a place that sells them. Ill have to make one
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

I personally use saxophone swabs. They work extremely well.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

What I did when I didn't have a brush was get a small piece of paper towel.

Then, I roll it up into a ball and I put a drop of dishwashing soap on it.

Make sure this piece of paper towel is not too small or too big to fit into the inside of the stem.

Just put the piece of paper towel and one of the ends of the stems and blow through it so it cleans the inside of the stem. Wet the paper towel a lil bit again and put it through the stem again. Keep doing this until the inside of the stem is clean and just rinse.

Hah only do this if you aren't able to make a homemade one. But if you want, knock yourself out ^_^
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
What I did when I didn't have a brush was get a small piece of paper towel.

Then, I roll it up into a ball and I put a drop of dishwashing soap on it.

Make sure this piece of paper towel is not too small or too big to fit into the inside of the stem.

Just put the piece of paper towel and one of the ends of the stems and blow through it so it cleans the inside of the stem. Wet the paper towel a lil bit again and put it through the stem again. Keep doing this until the inside of the stem is clean and just rinse.

Hah only do this if you aren't able to make a homemade one. But if you want, knock yourself out ^_^
you made a giant spitwad launcher? haha nice
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
you made a giant spitwad launcher? haha nice
Lol oops I forgot to say with WATER and SOAP or it looks like I'm talking about spitting on it ewwww lol.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

im gonna do it and throw them out at my friends. its gonna be great. thanks jilly
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Sport City
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Sport City

Coathanger with a piece of cloth or tshirt works for the stem.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

yea but every time i try to do it with the hanger it just cuts threw the cloth...and if you fold the cloth its to much to fit in the stem....ill prolly go to walmart...i dont want to order 5 dollar brushes and end up spending more on shipping
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook