Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

No taste whatsoever! Am I doing something wrong?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM
benjamin831
Hookah Newbie

Default No taste whatsoever! Am I doing something wrong?

I manage to get my first hookah the other day; it was a 34" Abyss from hookah-shisha.com.

I'm having a little trouble getting my shisha to taste like anything. I figured that I must be doing something wrong, so I want to consult the experts over here.

I followed all the instructions pretty carefully.

I filled the vase so that its just 2 inches above the down-stem. Connected everything and made sure every was sealed tight. Tested it by covering the bowl. Filled the bowl to the edge with Romman Apple, almost no packing whatsoever. Covered it with 1 sheet of foil and poked 4 circles of holes. 2 Golden QL coals on opposite sides. Everything should be done right!

I started it off, waited a little, and smoked more. There was a decent amount of smoke, but there was no flavor at all. There were a couple of hits were I tasted apple but thats like 4 hits out of the 45 min I was trying to smoke it. I tried it with the Romman Peach as well, same story.

Any ideas?
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: No taste whatsoever! Am I doing something wrong?

ALright dude, sounds like you got a nice hookah. Don't be discouraged, hookah is a learning experiance, even for those who have been smoking for years, you adjust on the fly.

I know you tried seal check but I'm going to go over it anyway. Before starting assymble your hookah dry. Now put your finger on the top of the stem to block flow. Attach your hose or put your mouth on the hose connection and try to suck air through. You should be able to at all, if anything your finger should be sucked into the stem. If you notice deviation of vacuum or any leaks, your hookah is not air tight. Replace gromets or readjust them.

Fill the water about 1/2'' to 1'' above the stem. You shouldn't have to pack the bowl whatsoever just knda flake the shisha in the bowl maybe compress slightly. You don't want to impede air flow. Try 2 sheets of foil it will help with heat management (which is a huge factor in a great session). Wait about 5 mins before starting after placing coals, that way the bowl heats up and starts to hold heat. Not every shisha requires the same amount of heat, so it is something you have to do by trial and error. Also use a wind cover when even indoors it makes heat management alot easier.

/root
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

Well friend, it is no secret to get a good smoke from a hookah. It took me a couple of times, to get it right. I hope you washed the hookah thoroughly, before you used it. There can be residue, oil from the manufacturing, etc. ALL new hoookahs should be cleaned before using for the first time.

I prefer to have the stem open about 1inch to 1.5 inch below the water. Much lower than this makes for a difficult "pull". But if you prefer two inches below, OK.

You should never fill a bowl all the way to the edge. You need some empty space between the top of the tobacco, and the foil. If the tobacco touches the foil, the hot charcoal can 'scorch' the tobacco. Always "fluff" the tobacco, to make sure that air circulates freely around the tobacco. This will make for an easier 'pull', and additional smoke and flavor.

I prefer not to use QL coals. If you use them, always light the coal OUTSIDE, and let the pre-igniter burn off completely. Blow on the coal for a couple of times, until you see some red in the coal. Then place one (1) coal on the foil, centered, and let it sit for a couple of minutes, before your first pull.

You should only use as much heat as it takes to produce moderate smoke. If you put two(2) coals on right away, you risk scorching the tobacco, and burning off all the flavor. Try one coal, and when it dies off, add another coal.

Best advice I can give you.
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

im having the same problem as you...but i did get a little bit of flavor but it was not enough to make in enjoyable....
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM
benjamin831
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll give my pipe a through cleaning. Any special suggestions? Or is following the guide at hookah-shisha.com enough?

Davis18, have you found a way around it yet? If so, please let me know. It'll be great if you can let me know the details as well. Maybe we can get this sorted out once and for all.
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Sport City
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Sport City

Put 2 coals on the edge of the bowl and work your way in. If your setting them right in the center then the shisha may get too hot to begin with and begin to burn the shisha.
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

yea it first i was making my holes to big in the foil and some ash would fall down into the bowl and it would mess up the taste....so i made smaller holes....but i still get little to no flavor...im going to try some different shisha and see if there are any stronger flavors
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Did you MIX the tobacco before packing? The juice in the tobacco is where all the flavor is so you want to properly mix it.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

lol yea i mixed for about 15 min
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Lo you don't need to mix THAT long, just enough so that all the juices are evenly distributed all around the tobacco.

What kind of tobacco was it and what flav? Also I've noticed that when I started smoking hookah, I didn't really notice the tastes of the smoke until after a while
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
Lo you don't need to mix THAT long, just enough so that all the juices are evenly distributed all around the tobacco.

What kind of tobacco was it and what flav? Also I've noticed that when I started smoking hookah, I didn't really notice the tastes of the smoke until after a while
He said it was romman apple in his original post. Not all shish is good shish no matter the brand. Romman perhaps makes a bad apple, one with lacking flavor? That is what I think it could be. For example I got a sample of wild mango from Fantasia and it lacked flavor, but then my friend ordered a 200g and it was delicious. I hope I helped.
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
ThatTrevorGuy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ThatTrevorGuy

I was going to say the shisha, from the get go of reading the first post. Buy a different brand and flavor and then smoke another bowl. I'm sure you will find the difference.
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

was the tobacco juicy, if so did you mix it?

the flavor is in the juice of the tobacco.
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

roman apple just doesn't have a lot of flavor imo. me and my dad have been through countless apple brands and we finally found a good one the other day. fantasia shisha, mix triple apple and apple martini half and half. works great for us.
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Use room temperature water. Colder water= cool smoke but less flavor
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

if you are getting smoke, and there's no flavor (either tasty or not) then it is the shisha. I hate Romman Peach, I hate Romman Apple, but i still get flavor.

To see if you are going to get any flavor, why don't you inhale through the hose after you set up the hookah (tobacco, bowl, water, everything) without the coals. if you have taste, you'll have taste.
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
strawbizzledizz
Hookah Newbie

I'm new to setting up my own hookahs too and i've been having the same problem. Ive been using pretty dry nakhla strawberry tobacco though and i think it could be that. :/ anyone know if this could be why?
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Try what i said in the previous post. That'll help a lot of us judge.
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:43 PM
benjamin831
Hookah Newbie

I cleaned my hookah out and followed most of the advice you guys gave. I even put a few drops of honey into the bowl and mixed it around. I also put orange juice into the vase.

Still no taste entering my mouth, but I can smell the smoke and it smells kinda sweet. I'm really pulling my hair out now!

I'm going to go out to buy some new tobacco to see if it makes any difference. Can anyone advise me which one is the most tasty?

It'll be great is some of LA members can tell me wheres the best place to buy shisha from. I'm just trying to get my hookah preforming as well as those lounges found around Westwood.

EDIT: I might have found out a factor that as giving me the tasteless smoke. It might be the hookah hose. When I took it out and inhaled directly from the part you you plug in the hose, it tastes a little better.

Last edited by benjamin831; May 11th, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

lol, the westwood lounges are so crappy. those hookahs are never cleaned and the hoses are old and nasty.

i live like 5 mins from dahab.

i dont know any good places near that sell tobacco, i usually go to Arax in the valley (vannowen and white oak) however i only smoke tangiers and no one here sells it so i just drive to san diego to get it.

i have some layalina if you want to buy it, unsmoked
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
benjamin831
Hookah Newbie

Hi Scoop,

Yeah the pipes at those lounges at kinda gross, but they still taste better that what I'm smoking now at home

I'll check out the smoke shop nearby, they sell hookah pipes but I'm not sure if they sell tobacco.

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post
Hi Scoop,

Yeah the pipes at those lounges at kinda gross, but they still taste better that what I'm smoking now at home

I'll check out the smoke shop nearby, they sell hookah pipes but I'm not sure if they sell tobacco.

Thanks!
what shop is it and what kind of pipes do they sell?
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

change the brand!
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:30 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Yeh, I would say it is definatly tobacco. Try a whole bunch of misc. 50 grams from lounges. See if you can taste those. If you can't then we may have a bigger issue on our hands :O.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook