Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Don't you hate it...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC
Default Don't you hate it...

When people claim MYA's are the best, but have never smoked from a quality Egyptian or Syrian. Or possibly even vise versa. I am not really a fan of MYA's, I like Egyptians/Syrians a million times more. Yet, I do hate it when people say Egyptians are way better yet they have never tried a MYA or any other Chinese Hookah.

Thoughts?
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Das_messiah
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Don't you hate it...

well what is a quality hookah in your opinion? Bohemian?
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:42 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I agree- how can you have an opinion on something if you haven't tried it?

ever heard of the saying.... "Dont Knock it until you try it!!"

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:51 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

i like mya's but never tried any other kind so maybe there better i dont know i was thinking of getting a diva or a qt next or possbly somthing else if somebody names some other great hookahs from 50-80 bones. one or 2 hoses
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:30 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

In all honesty, I've never smoked from a true MYA, I have a modern Chinese Knock off that smokes well, but as to the quailty of a true MYA - I couldn't say. I will state that the recent trend of mishaps with their products has me slightly worried about a furture purchase, but if the price was right I wouldn't be against them as a whole.

And yes, unless you have tried it, you shouldn't say against or for it.

Sorta like when your parents tried to get you to eat something new - you say you hate it, they replied with, "Well how can you hate it if you never tried it?"
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

absolutely...

I remember when the QT came out and all the n00bs were screaming that it was the best.....many of them had no basis for comparison.

If you have ever gotten your hands on a good cast and sleeved syrian hookah.. then you get a profound respect for them.
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

For sure...you never know what you may end up loving, and what you claim to hate may become your favorite narghile if you were to try it.
I admit, I was always a bit negative about myas, but the carrying case one I acquired recently is absolutely incredible. Smokes so well. So, I assume everyone could afford to try something new. What can it hurt anyway?
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Our first hookah was a MYA QT, and was great for a while, then as I got into hookah .. I didn't like the QT so much, especially compared to hookah bar hookahs! I ended up getting a Khalil Mamoun 28" and LOVE IT! You have to try different things, to find out what you like ... there are so many different styles / brands of hookahs, that you never know what "You" might like!

Personally, I haven't tried a syrian yet, but look forward to trying one! Right now, I am really enjoying my KM.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Das_messiah
Hookah Newbie

I have two mya's. Both smoke great! ONe is a bohemian and one is a modern.

However, I have never smoked a hookah at a hookah shop that was a mya. All have been egyptians. Frankly, I think an egyptian smokes better, and while I don't know from experience the base on an egyptian seems like it should clean better. Bohemians seem to have very narrow necks and large bowls with difficult to reach areas, and moderns, well they are a little better but getting into the far corners at the bottome is very difficult.

But I also have had friends who had an egyptian. And it smoked a little better than my MYA's, regardless of who was packing it, me, my friend etc. So, I don't think that the egytian quality over mya is because "it was a hookah shop". Besides, I pack a goddamn good hookah.

However, I have not had syrian hookahs yet. But, the bases don't look generally as good as egyptians. I know looks can be decieving.
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Erica
Hookah Newbie

I've tried all three... and I still love myas over anything else I have smoked out of.
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahETC
When people claim MYA's are the best, but have never smoked from a quality Egyptian or Syrian. Or possibly even vise versa. I am not really a fan of MYA's, I like Egyptians/Syrians a million times more. Yet, I do hate it when people say Egyptians are way better yet they have never tried a MYA or any other Chinese Hookah.

Thoughts?
I've never run upon someone that declared a narghile as good or bad without trying but most of the people I know that smoke have been doing so for a long time so that probably has something to do with it.

I never understood what most people that rave about Mya stuff see in those products although my tastes are totally against "mod" rigs and Chinese stuff in general. I will say that almost everyone I've meet that has used a decent Syrian or Egyptian rig prefers them to any Chinese one.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Lake...

I cant agree more...
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

I dont mean to be all scientific and such but arent all pipes the same? I have 2 17' hookahs one is a mya qt and one is an egyptian. And I have smoked out of taller ones but to me i feel like I get the same smoke from my qt as well as a 22'
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

no speel, not all pipes are the same. I have a 17" modern and 3 syrians (had an eygptian too). I can most definatly tell the defference between the smokes on all the pipes.

even thou the shape may be the same, the materials, quality, workmanship and design all play important factors into making a "good" hookah pipe.

I am not saying that MYA or moderns aren't good - i do enjoy my modern mini, but i enjoy my syrians 100% more.

also another thing to take into consideration is the set-up of any pipe, you can take the "best" pipe in the world and set it up wrong (too much coal, bad coal, burnt shisha, dirty hookah, ect) and it can possibly be the worse smoke of all time.
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii
also another thing to take into consideration is the set-up of any pipe, you can take the "best" pipe in the world and set it up wrong (too much coal, bad coal, burnt shisha, dirty hookah, ect) and it can possibly be the worse smoke of all time.
This is really very true...I've had bad smokes from great pipes just from being lax with the cleaning. I also agree, all pipes are definetly not created equal lol. And with no x-factors involved, a quality pipe is just heads above lesser ones.
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by speel
I dont mean to be all scientific and such but arent all pipes the same? I have 2 17' hookahs one is a mya qt and one is an egyptian. And I have smoked out of taller ones but to me i feel like I get the same smoke from my qt as well as a 22'
You need to know that not all Egyptian rigs are well made and that a lot of rigs advertised as Egyptian are actually made in China. What makes a narghile worth smoking is actually a multi-faceted subject and if you like I could go into the various things you need to look for.

In short you can't go by a simple generic descriptor like Egyptian when buying a rig but instead you need to know what to look for and I would recommend staying with well known Egyptian and Syrian brands from a handful of decent dealers.

As has been mentioned before setup of your narghile is critical which is why a good smoke is a product of your rig, consumables and your setup method. Cleanliness is something you can never stress enough as Sam pointed out.

All pipes are most certainly unequal as is just about everything in nature.

In terms of height the truth is that if a rig is too tall it becomes hard to pull on and if it's too short it will smoke hotter and more harshly then a full sized one. Obviously everyone has differing notions on the perfect hight in terms of draw vs. heat but generally I have found rigs under 57-60cm are too harsh/hot while ones over 90cm are too hard too draw.

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

+1 to thorough cleaning!

I had started out with a MYA QT, smoked well, but did get harsh quicker than my other two hookahs (see below)
I then moved to a $15 hookah that I enjoyed more than the QT! (was easier to clean, that was a big plus to me!), and smoked just as well, if not a little better.
I now have a 28" Khalil Maamoon and I love this hookah ... definitely a well made egyptian! Smokes Great!

So with that said, yes I do believe there is definitely a difference in brand, quality, height, and style...

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook