Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bad Hookah Reputation

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 14th, 2008, 12:33 PM
smokedsquid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to smokedsquid Send a message via Skype™ to smokedsquid
Default Bad Hookah Reputation

A friend of mine is a cop and I was telling him about my hookah. He asked what I was smoking out of it and I proceeded to tell him about shisha. He said hookahs were for smoking (you know what) and every time he's ever seen one it was at some p#t-heads house. That really pissed me off so I jumped into defending those of us who use it for the right reasons.

It really angers me how people have ruined the reputation of hookahs and how individuals like us, who use it for what it was intended for, get labeled or questioned about our love of hookah.

How do we change this
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: Bad Hookah Reputation

First Off, GOOD for you to defend yourself and fellow hookah hobbyist!

It frustrates me too! People are soo damn misinformed! The only way to change it is to educate them. I always take the time to defend and educate others about hookah, especially when they suggest that I use it for something other then it was intended for! That really pisses me off, and QUICK!!!

Maybe in the coming years it will become more known ... but in the meantime we just have to continue to educate the uneducated about hookah/shisha.

Be interesting to hear others points of view on this ...

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
NYHookahKing
Hookah Nut

Yeah exactly Sambooka, it really irate's me as well when people think that is what a hookah is intended for. I don't smoke ***, and when I have friends come over that do smoke *** asking me if a hookah could be used to smoke things other than shisha, or if they could use mine for that, I automatically tell them no. I don't feel like the hookah should be used for those other purposes. That's what all those other smoking devises are made for. Those who don't know should be educated is exactly right.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
TzuNamII
Hookah Newbie

Same Thing Happens To Me NYHookahKing, I HATE IT.....

It gives Hookah/Hookah Smokersa bad rep for nothing.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

The average person will 99% of the time assume you're smoking NHT. Even if you bring up that its tobacco they still get on your case about cancer, emphysema, blah blah blah. Either way we get raked over the coals lol. But yeah, being associated with drugs is not a good way to be seen.

Old May 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
smokedsquid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to smokedsquid Send a message via Skype™ to smokedsquid

I think part of their education about hookah/shisha is letting them try it. I know the first time my wife tried it she was amazed how awesome the flavor was. Telling someone isn't enough sometimes. Also some people don't want to be open-minded enough to realize it really could be used for something other that NHT. Their first image is all they know.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

we smoked at coffee bean and we educate anyone who asks. most people now know what it is. 6 years ago, thats when we got dirty looks and questions. the cops never seemed to care though
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

It is a little touchy especially with officers of the law. Because anything that could be used to smoke other than what is intended for can be considered, well you know, and they are pretty much required to act on that. In due time hookah will make its impression as a nice smooth, flavor-able, social, and completely legal smoke,
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM
sabsz
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypzlast View Post
It is a little touchy especially with officers of the law. Because anything that could be used to smoke other than what is intended for can be considered, well you know, and they are pretty much required to act on that. In due time hookah will make its impression as a nice smooth, flavor-able, social, and completely legal smoke,
I sure hope so.
The very first time I smoked shisha...I had a confrontation with the PO's and they thought we were crackheads living in an abandoned truck trailer playing guitar and singing...they specifically asked "why do you need tinfoil?". Either way I was with my cousin and his friends, and they all went to private school so they were wearing the rich kid uniforms. They weren't allowed to smoke anything (cigarettes too) on campus, so basically they had found an unused/unlocked truck trailer nearby the school in the parking lot of a train station, and thats where the kids came too smoke. Anyways, we were singing and people called the cops saying they thought people were living inside?
Anyways, thats my little story.
I hate the negative reputation the hookah has and I also hate ignorant people. Like at least educate police officers on what a hookah is...right?
Then all they would have to do is take a whiff, and ask you to show them the package.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsz View Post
I sure hope so.
The very first time I smoked shisha...I had a confrontation with the PO's and they thought we were crackheads living in an abandoned truck trailer playing guitar and singing...they specifically asked "why do you need tinfoil?". Either way I was with my cousin and his friends, and they all went to private school so they were wearing the rich kid uniforms. They weren't allowed to smoke anything (cigarettes too) on campus, so basically they had found an unused/unlocked truck trailer nearby the school in the parking lot of a train station, and thats where the kids came too smoke. Anyways, we were singing and people called the cops saying they thought people were living inside?
Anyways, thats my little story.
I hate the negative reputation the hookah has and I also hate ignorant people. Like at least educate police officers on what a hookah is...right?
Then all they would have to do is take a whiff, and ask you to show them the package.
lol, there seems to be a lot more to that story than just hookah. the only time i can say i had a problem with the cops was when i went to a frat party, but the party was lame so we went to my car in a giant parking lot (it was packed with cars of people hitting up the parties in the area), and started setting up a hookah, we didn't have foil but we cut a beer can and used the metal as a screen for the bowl. either way, as soon as we started smoking the cops rolled up, shut the party down and a couple cars flooded the lot. everyone in the lot booked it and rolled out, while i threw the coals off, dumped the mix, and threw the hookah into my car (with water still in the vase :facepalm and we drove away as quick as we could. we were loitering but i was more worried about them catching me with hookah.

at that time i had no idea that they can't do crap for the hookah and most of them know what it is in LA. now i just get comfortable doing it lol
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

LOL sabsz used to be a train yard hobo like Box Car Willie! LOL
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
sabsz
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
LOL sabsz used to be a train yard hobo like Box Car Willie! LOL
Lol, hardly...but that would be awesome, with a hookah and tons of shisha.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM
YA-MEZ
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to YA-MEZ

i hate people like that...it makes me so mad...all theyve ever seen is whats in movies when they're smoking some you know what which is stupid because they've never even read up on it at all and they just assume
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Well, I have personally done my duty of training all the police officers on my staff to know EXACTLY what a hookah is.

All of them joke with me, and make fun of me being in "hookah luka" Land all the time on the internet, but when push comes to shove and at the end of the day, i feel like i've made a difference so they won't hassle us hookah smokers too much if we are out and about.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Behead those who insult hookah.
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
Behead those who insult hookah.
this may become problematic if you are dealing with cops lol
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:23 AM
sabsz
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
this may become problematic if you are dealing with cops lol

Lmao, that was really funny . No Fatwas please.
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

One could say educating the public and executing all the apostates of Hookah is my personal Jihad.
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
One could say educating the public and executing all the apostates of Hookah is my personal Jihad.
can i has your trimetal when you end up in jail?
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

lol well if we start beheading people we'll have a bad rep for that too!

Old May 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

yeah man i get really annoyed about that was in my home town in Brazil also happened that the cops search some teens they were smoking u know what with a hookah pipe, then the tv news said for parent to be ware because hookah are really dangerous and so on.. i was like WTF!!!
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
bassplayerguy
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bassplayerguy

Yeah, i know what you all mean, when i usually smoke at school I have to do it outside b/c my room is so tiny it's certain to set off a fire alarm...i couldn't tell you how many people have come up to me asking to add things to the bowl....I try to educate people if they seem interested, otherwise I'm blowing smoke, literally and figuratively I suppose...
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Sport City
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Sport City

Hookahs do have a bad rep, but I think the more popular they become the more people will understand. And 90% of the time, if you can get um to take a puff of that sweet fruity thick cloud....their hooked. Thats one thing I really respect about this community...is the fact that no illegal substances are allowed to be mentioned. That there makes a statement about how legit this community is. Plus I read its bad etticite to put anything but shisha in your hookah. Sambooka-Can you please add a spell check application, lmao.
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

hahaha, about the spell check. Get firefox, it has one that is built in ...

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Lets have "what is hookah" seminars all over the US to educate these fine folk...starting with the cops, then the college administrations. i'm sure they'll be really excited when we show up lol
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook