Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

First time wtih Tangiers

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
smokedsquid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to smokedsquid Send a message via Skype™ to smokedsquid
Default First time wtih Tangiers

Am I a wuss or what. I just tried Tangiers Apple and it kicked my ass. I had to change to something else. It killed my throat and lungs. Is this normal or am I just not man enough to handle it?
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n
Default Re: First time wtih Tangiers

was it really harsh? if it was i dont blame ya
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Everytime I voice my opinion about Tangiers the fanboys get pissed. If it tasted nothing like the flavor was supposed to and smelled like Bar B Que sauce it was normal! LOL It is by far the worst shisha on the market. I'd rather smoke Soex or King than that recycled chew spit.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM
smokedsquid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to smokedsquid Send a message via Skype™ to smokedsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Everytime I voice my opinion about Tangiers the fanboys get pissed. If it tasted nothing like the flavor was supposed to and smelled like Bar B Que sauce it was normal! LOL It is by far the worst shisha on the market. I'd rather smoke Soex or King than that recycled chew spit.
OK good. I thought it was just me. I guess I won't be spending my money on Tangiers again. It just wasn't good. Thank God for AF. AF saved the day once again.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

I love AF i dont blame you. But if your like me, Tangiers is good for when friends are over, get everyone buzzing off their a$$es and play games, always great lol.

I wouldnt completely give up on it. give it another try sometime when you feel up to it, see if your opinion changes
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Tangiers, doesn't really sound that appealing. Any company that makes orchata I don't even like the sound of. My mom and grandma make that all the time and it isn't even that tasty lol. I hear about the sick nic buzzes as well, and no thanks. A slight buzz for me is ok, but a heavy buzz is just plain annoying. The only flavor I'd try would be orange cream soda.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

smokesquid...did you read the instructions that came with it?

was it thin and harsh? if so you didn't pack it properly. are you using a phunnel? it will help.

I can make a little post of how-to pack tangiers. Its tricky, you cant simply fluff it in there, it will be impossible to smoke.

dunkel, how many times did you buy tangiers. in the last year of smoking i've tried everything and come to the fairly easy to get to conclusion that tangiers is by far superior. the bbq sauce is the lack of acclimation that occurs. if it goes into humidity shock the tobacco wont taste properly and if you just let it acclimate it should get better. i've never had any bbq sauce or soy sauce tangiers myself. eric told me if you get it, just let it sit as long as it needs and it will start to smell properly.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hman
Hookah Newbie

Tangiers is a great brand, my favorite, if you smoke it a certain way. Firstly you want to use room temperature to cool water in your hookah not cold. Next and most important you need an unglazed clay bowl. This is important because it does not heat up as fast as ceramic. When packing you want to rips the shisha up a little so it is in very small pieces and a little below the brim. Poke your holes in the foil as many as you can get and as small as you can get. When you smoke it move the coal along the outside if it gets smoky (which it probably will if you just let it sit in the middle) and you should have a hookah that will last for no less than 5 quick start coals.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Eventually you get used to the amount of niccotine being thrown at ya and the buzz is not as bad if that even there at all. Moderation is prolly the best way of smoking tangiers
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
Eventually you get used to the amount of niccotine being thrown at ya and the buzz is not as bad if that even there at all. Moderation is prolly the best way of smoking tangiers
if you mix it with regular shisha for about a week, you dont really get that strong buzz and you get used to it. the next week you can just smoke it by itself.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

I just tried tangiers for the first time yesterday. I got it perfect! So flavorful and the smoke was nice and thick. I got some samples from a friend on another forum and I tried the sample of Melon Blend.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

The only flavor I have had that was worth the effort was the Orange Soda ..

I have other ones that I got as samples from sammniamii and they smelled like bar-b-que. So far I have let the Juicy Peach sit out for a few days to "acclimate", but it still smelled like bar-be-que ...

I don't have the patience for this stuff, especially when there is other stuff out there that is less hassle and smokes great right out of the UPS box, out of the back of the UPS truck!

These are just my opinions ... and don't tell me I am not smoking it right! lol, I have been around long enough to know all the tips and tricks for it ...

I have some Kashmir Peach that I will try one of these days and do a review on it ...

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:44 PM
smokedsquid
Hookah Nut

I'm with you on that one Sambooka. I want to just pit my shisha in a bowl and smoke it. It has to be simple and consistent for me to like it. Maybe I will try it again but the thought of smelling it again makes me nauseous. This is just my first impression and opinion.
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM
iamscott06
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to iamscott06

Eh, i'v never had problems with it smelling but it did take me a good 3-4 bowls to get smoking good. Now every bowl is HEAVEN!! Last night I had my first bowl of Grapefruit.. WOW is all I have to say about that.

Some of the recent batches I have been getting have a finer cut and smell pretty damn good right out of the package, little to none acclimation. Glad I never experienced the BBQ :P
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

I am not even tempted to try tangiers...sounds like too much of a hassle, and like Sambooka said, there is a bunch of other stuff that smokes GREAT ALL the time, and is very forgiving
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
iamscott06
Hookah Nut

There is a video that was recently released that shows how to pack it perfectly! I even changed the way I pack a little after watching and my sessions have been better. Dont think I should post it though..
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

the cool strawberry smells awesome right out of the bag. I have that acclimating with peach iced tea. the peach smells a little off so I will let them both acclimate for a couple days. I hope monday I will be in for a good tangiers session

Old May 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
sabsz
Hookah Pro

I don't think I will ever try Tangiers, mainly because I HATE buzzes. Also it seems like a real B*tch to setup.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
smokedsquid
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott06 View Post
There is a video that was recently released that shows how to pack it perfectly! I even changed the way I pack a little after watching and my sessions have been better. Dont think I should post it though..
Post it! I would love to see it and maybe it would help me change my mind about Tangiers. If it will help someone then why not post it?
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

I think there are always connoisseurs who really enjoy the extra preparation of things, whether its gourmet food, wine, cocktails, cigars, or hookah smoking (I happen to indulge in all these things, so I can usually spot them). Tangiers smacks of this to me. The notion that if you only acclimate it to the correct pH, temperature, and humidity -- stir it just so and smoke it in a specially made bowl packed just right -- you'll have some transcendental experience. However, make one mistake and you'll gag like you've just been water-boarded.

Don't get me wrong -- I cellar my wines, humidify my cubans, and always use good Gin; but this stuff sounds like snake-oil to me. I think I'll stick to AF.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
dunkel, how many times did you buy tangiers. in the last year of smoking i've tried everything and come to the fairly easy to get to conclusion that tangiers is by far superior. the bbq sauce is the lack of acclimation that occurs. if it goes into humidity shock the tobacco wont taste properly and if you just let it acclimate it should get better. i've never had any bbq sauce or soy sauce tangiers myself. eric told me if you get it, just let it sit as long as it needs and it will start to smell properly.
I have tried 3 "flavors" of Tangiers. Vanilla, Kiwi and Juicy Peach they all smelled like Bar B que sauce. I tried to smoke each of them 3 times. I acclimated them anywhere from 9-48 hours and the only one that responded at all to acclimating was Juicy Peach. It lost all of its smell and smelled like nothing. I packed it as I've read about, poked lots of big holes, used a QL broken into several pieces along the outside rim of the bowl, and it was absolutely flavorless. Vanilla and Kiwi smelled like Bar B que no matter how long they acclimated. There really is a problem with this brand. There is no other brand that people have trouble getting to "smoke right". I have heard all the Tangiers jargon til I'm blue in the face. "Humidity shock" "Just pack more" "warm water in the base" "bigger holes, toothpick sized" and "quicklights broken up along the edge". It's crazy there is no other shisha that people have problems with.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedsquid View Post
Post it! I would love to see it and maybe it would help me change my mind about Tangiers. If it will help someone then why not post it?
He might want a Mod to see this video before he posts it. I have a feeling there's a reason he's not sure if he can post it here.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvic View Post
I think there are always connoisseurs who really enjoy the extra preparation of things, whether its gourmet food, wine, cocktails, cigars, or hookah smoking (I happen to indulge in all these things, so I can usually spot them). Tangiers smacks of this to me. The notion that if you only acclimate it to the correct pH, temperature, and humidity -- stir it just so and smoke it in a specially made bowl packed just right -- you'll have some transcendental experience. However, make one mistake and you'll gag like you've just been water-boarded.

Don't get me wrong -- I cellar my wines, humidify my cubans, and always use good Gin; but this stuff sounds like snake-oil to me. I think I'll stick to AF.
so youve never tried it and call it snake-oil? sounds logical...

its not even that hard...the trick is getting it once then everything is easy. and its not "1 mistake and youre dead". with no experience on the topic i think its kind of hard to judge it...

eric (owner of tangiers) gives me nothing special for coming here and telling you all how great it is. i pay the same price everyone else does. i truly believe deep in my heart that tangiers is the overall best tobacco on the market. nothing is even close.

the trick is to learn how to do it once and its easy after that.

either way. in a few weeks hes gonna have a washed line out so you guys wont have to complain about the packing techniques.

Last edited by Scoop; May 16th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I will make a HOOKAH PRO video on how to smoke Tangiers ... when I get around to trying the Kashmir Peach.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:36 PM
iamscott06
Hookah Nut

I PM'd ya Squid!

Sambooka, can't wait to see what you put out

And vegasvic, you dont only have to smoke tang out of his phunnel bowl, i smoke it out of reg egyption, superchiefs and even my Smileys glass bowl!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook