Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

A few maybe not so simple questions ?!?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hoohoodillyo
Hookah Nut

Default A few maybe not so simple questions ?!?

I am new to the forums and I just have a few questions about things I have been trying to search online for and really couldn't get a straight answer.

I use a MYA glass hookah that is about 3-4 years old and I love it, although it has its fair share of abuse! Recently my finance and I have been discussing a few things with our smoke sessions and are interested in getting a better smoke. I will break these up so they are easier for everyone.

1: The best tobacco we have come across is Layalina, even over a few of the $20 brands. I have seen reviews on Starbuzz and AF being much better and haven't been able to try either, what is your opinion on the difference? Would it be worth spending almost twice as much over Layalina?

2: I use a very cheap hose that came with my MYA hookah, I had to tape it up cause it leaks and have been looking at reviews on new hoses. I saw the Nammor has great reviews and is wider than other hoses, so does that mean bigger hits?

3: I have both a ceramic and a clay bowl now... both very cheaply made. I was looking at the Phunnel hookah and interested in the design, will this type of bowl suit a more juicy tobacco like Layalina if I decide to stick with them?

4: I have used a bunch of different coal from the cheap $1 package of quick light to the Japanese coals. I really am sick of the after taste and harsh burning I get from almost all of these and interested in what you think about natural coals like the Exotica and Al Ajdad?

5: I was looking at the Heba diffuser, does this work well?

Thanks for all the help.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: A few maybe not so simple questions ?!?

1) IMO Al Fahker is much better than Layalina. As for Starbuzz I have only tried 3 flavors and only liked 1 out of 3.

2) Nammor and Razan hoses are wider and therefore offer a draw that requires less effort. Usually less resistance means a bigger hit.

3) The design of a funnel is to catch the juice instead of letting it leak down the stem into your hookah. More juice kept in the bowl means more flavor and longer sessions in general.

4) Exoticas are great coals. I have never had a problem with them. I have heard Al-Ajdad are not that good. Exoticas have outscored them in nearly every review.

I haven't used a Heba diffuser, but I use a homemade diffuser and IMO it works well.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

1) Personally Layalina isnt a terrible brand, but i personally think there are better out there. even if they are a tad to a lot more expensive. The flavors aren't bad, just that there are better ones out there.

2) No, not quite. You will still get the same amount of smoke that you do from the MYA. It just means that the hit will be much easier on you, its more like breathing rather than some constriction from a smaller hose.

3) The phunnel is actually intended for Tangiers, which is a juicyish brand. So using a juicier brand like starbuzz and layalina helps out the flavor and session duration, making them last as long as 6 hours with a large bowl.

4) Exoticas right now are probably the best coals on the market, one of them at least. however it sounds like if your getting harsh burning tastes its perhaps how you pack the bowl, not the coal persay.

5) Some claim to get better tasting smoke from a diffuser, but it seems like its just there to make it quieter basically

Welcome to HP!
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Using a KM, razon, or Nammor hose on a mya might not always fit, also, if it does it may be easy to knock over the hookah as the end weights alot. I would use those hoses only on egyptian hookahs. For a mYA you could always a get a plain MYA hose as a replacement as these are not menat to last "years" If you want an upgrade MYA has cloisinee (sp) hoses that are a lot fancier with decorative handles, yet pretty much the same functionality as a regular mya hose.
As for a bowl, you can't go wrong with a funnel but there are other options. If you like egyptian clay or decarative ceramics they are less than half the price.
Check out the vendors on this board and you'll find what you are looking for. Also, you can call in directly with some vendors to get help over the phone.
John
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Heba Diffusers are only good fro quieting your hookah. They restrict your pull an awful lot, but some people like that.

Razan or Nammor, Hell yes. I think razans are actually a bit tougher and longer-lasting. All my Nammors are falling apart, yet my Razan is good as new.

get a Phunnel, but keep your Reg. Egyptian. You'll want it later when you don't want to use to much tobacco. Also, buy a Mod for your phunnel from MNhookahs.com.

CocoNara are more consistent then Exoticas are. That's not my opinion either. People swear by both coals, and Exoticas are much less expensive... But it's like shopping at Wild Oats (Whole Foods) compared to Wal-Mart ; you pay more for the Organic quality, as CocoNaras are sustainable, made of Coconut Shells, so you don't murder trees. That's mostly based on choice.

I would keep the Mya, and buy a KM or a Magdy Zidan. There are new KM hookahs coming out in a little while, so i would recommend one of those. Myas are good for 4+ people, and are a TON tougher than any other rig available.

Layalina is fine, if you like it, stick with it. Why pay 20 bucks for something that you may not even enjoy. I warn you, StarBuzz is very, very sweet. Layalina comes in a plethora of flavors as well, so you can't really get bored.
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

1) AF more consistant than Layalina and nearly the same price.
2)Razan, and yes bigger hits.
3)Go phunnel. I use a ceramic on my Syrian because I can not buy a phunnel to fit that style stem.
4)I have not used Coconara so can't comment on them. I use Exoticas and they are ok. I also use Bilal Olive wood naturals when I want to use smaller portions without hosing a stick of Exoticas.
5)I don't use diffusers, no comment.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

1) AF Golden is good. I haven't tried a lot of AF in the last year or so
2) Razan / Nammor are awesome. Just be careful and avoid forcing it into the hose ports and pulling them out too much. The glue isn't the strongest and i've had a leak in 1 hose (which i glued together)
3) Phunnel, 100%. I refuse to use anything else, makes the stem sooo much easier to clean
4) exoticas are very good coals. I am using them now
5) I drilled holes in my hookah that i wanted to have a defuser.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

AF is an awesome brand you will not be disappointed.

KM hoses I guess are the rave right now, nammors and razans get the job done as well.

I don't use a phunnel and my sessions are fine, but they seem like a good investment.

Exoticas are awesome coals, all I have and will use.

I don't think diffusers do much for smoke, I think their main purpose is to muffle the sound.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

first of all, welcome to the hookahpro community. You've asked some good questions and received some good answers. Now here's my 2cents:

1)laylina isn't neccesarily a bad brand, but there are better out there. AF being one of them.AF is a reputable brand with a ton of quality flavors to choose from, and for the price,you really can't go wrong.SB is also a very popular brand, known for a large variety of flavors, quality tobacco and longevity of taste throughout your session. I've tried 3 flavors and loved 2 of them.The x-mas blend and the marlette.The price, however, is too high imo.

2)I've never tried a nammor or razan hose, but they are loved by many here.As dunkel stated, the inside diameter of the hose makes all the difference. I have a $15 cobra that works pretty well. Mya also makes a larger diameter hose-http://mnhookahs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_32&products_id=153

3)funnels are great for weter brands and also sustain the flavor abit longer. But clay bowls are fine for dryer brands such as al nahkla.

4)if your getting a harsh flavor from your coals there could be a problem with your setup.You may be burning your moassell due to over packing or too much heat.Exoticas are a great coal for the $ but they burn hot so watch you heat management. Al ajdad aren't the worst coal you can get but exoticas are hands down, a better buy.

5) I've never used a heba defusser but I have a homemade one that works just fine. Defussers allow for more bubbles which means more smoke is exposed to the cooling effects of the water.And yes, they are quieter.

good luck!

Last edited by abu ronin; May 19th, 2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: must...learn...to...type..!
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hoohoodillyo
Hookah Nut

Wow! A big thank you to everyone for the answers and the warm welcome, we are happy to be apart of the community. All of my questions were answered and some extra input was even given.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

your welcome! feel free to post any and all questions.Also, don't be afraid to scroll through past threads. You may find that many of your questions have already been asked and answered.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hoohoodillyo
Hookah Nut

Okay, one more on this topic guys... I see many variations of the Phunnel bowl, but no info on this "mod" you are talking about any direct link to it? Thanks
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:51 AM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

If you use extremely wet and juicy tobacco, the phunnel bowl will keep the juices from running down the stem. The over all quality of the smoke is about the same. You should experiment, and see what you prefer.

I personally like the diffuser. More small bubbles, passing through the cold water, means that the smoke will be cooler. Basic physics. And the diffuser muffles the sound.

A large diameter hose makes for an easier draw, also basic physics.

I have never had much luck with quick-lights. I once bought a batch, and in spite of everything I tried, the smoke tasted like gasoline, I had to toss out the entire batch.

You need to keep the coals down to just enough to produce a moderate smoke. If you have too many coals, the heat will burn up all the flavor, and the smoke will be harsh. Also-keep rotating the coals. Try 12 o'clock, then 3'oclock, then 6 o'clock, etc. Distributing the heat all through the tobacco, will keep the flavor coming, and not overheat the tobacco.

Bowls are expendable. I prefer glazed ceramic bowls, they hold the heat, and are much easier to clean. Try different types of bowls, until you find a style you prefer.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook