Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Pumpkin hookah setup help!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Default Pumpkin hookah setup help!

First of all, I'm glad to be a part of the forum!

I purchased a pumpkin hookah the other day. I did not know that it was a pumpkin hookah when I bought it, and I also didnt know that I paid WAY too much for it, and to top it off I can't return it. My girlfriend and I are going to try it out this weekend and I want to try to get the setup right the first time. I have a few questions and would GREATLY appreciate some help!

1)Water/water level. I plan on using cold water with ice in it (done in a blender if cubes won't fit). Where should I set the water level? All the research I have done so far says that the water level is critical on this style, and should be .5 inches above the stem?

2)Coals/placement. I bought some 'taru' quicklights at the same place that ripped me off for the hookah. Are they any good? Or should I try to find something else. I'm going to a different shop today because the one place only had 'herbal' shista. Should I get natural coals if I can find them? Can I heat natural coals on an electric stove?

3)Tin foil. Should I use 1 or 2 layers?

4)Clean up. What do I do with it when I'm done to clean it?

Any other tips/tricks would help. I want to get this right the first time!

Thanks so much
Travis
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Pumpkin hookah setup help!

1. I think you'll have to play with the water level, my friend had a pumpkin, and if he filled it .5" above stem the water would come through the hose.. :/

2. Can't find any review of the Taru Quicklites you mention, but if you can get natural coals(which i would, they are usually better) then yes, you can light them on an electric stove.

3. That depends on how hot your shisha is getting, its a tool for heat management. Experience is going to be your best judge. Shiny side down

4. There should be brushes for hookah's at hookah retailers, not sure if they are small enough for a pumpkin though. You might try pipe cleaners, and a tooth brush for the base. Normal hot water works most of the time, if you're really looking for a deep clean I would recommend toothpaste as a cleaner, and if you dont want to use that lemon juice..
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the input. Can I do a 'test run' on the water level w/o smoking it? Meaning, if I fill it with water until the stem is covered .5 inches, and suck on the hose and don't get water in my mouth am I good to go with .5 inches
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

Yeah, test run would work. You still might have to do some adjusting, it depends on how hard it is to smoke when you're actually smoking it. I mean how hard you have to suck to get smoke through the pipe. The good news is that the pumpkin is tiny, and so it will be really easy for you to hold the stem with 1 hand and adjust the water level in the base with the other. (try doing that with a collossus )
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

When I had my Pumpkin Hookah I took the stem to Home Depot to size up some Vinyl tubing for the downstem. I bought some tubing and cut a very small section and added it to the Pumpkin hookah so that the water level could be a little lower than normal and it prevented water from getting sucked up in the hose.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

when you say you paid way too much, what did you pay, also, what city did you buy it in?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
strawbizzledizz
Hookah Newbie

make sure you clean it before you use it, i learned that the hard way with my hookah. use some lemon juice and water.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

id recommend getting the vinyl tubing from home depot and making that your hose. with the water constantly being a problem using a non washable hose is going to cause it to rust very early and youll develop problems with any non washable hose you use.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
TJ347
Hookah Newbie

I started off with a pumpkin, so with respect to water level just fill the base to the halfway point. And get a washable hose. And better quicklights. Or CocoNaras. That's all I've got.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook