Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Having Shisha shipped to Australia

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 29th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Wraggot
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Wraggot
Default Having Shisha shipped to Australia

Alright, so I'm looking at having some shisha shipped to Australia, but just wanted to know a few things before I do. First of all, have any of my fellow Aussies ordered from the American sites? As far as I can find, there really isn't much in terms of Australian sites except for Barandhookah.com.au, which is fairly limited in terms of flavours and brands. Secondly, I seem to remember reading something that mentioned if there is only a small amount of tobacco per package you can avoid being taxed?

Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n
Default Re: Having Shisha shipped to Australia

there are some people here that have ordered from american sites. one person ordered almost a grand of stuff from multiple sites, and he got it all no problem, so youll be good
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:21 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

pm wolfstar, he has experience, where are you in aus?
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

Ok here's the deal in getting it in to Aus. You are allowed 250g per package without a problem, any more is charged $300 + GST on every 1kg. I had a couple of kg's caught and it had to get sent back or I'd have been charged nearly $1000 but I've also had 1kg opened and let through so alot depends on the one who opens to inspect it. There's about a 70% chance of them being opened as the dogs pick up on anything organic so it's not worth the risk and I get mine shipped in 250g lots to be sure I get it, while it costs more in shipping it's not so bad if you get other things with it like coals etc and even with shipping it's still cheaper than Bar & Hookah when you add shipping to their prices.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstar View Post
Ok here's the deal in getting it in to Aus. You are allowed 250g per package without a problem, any more is charged $300 + GST on every 1kg. I had a couple of kg's caught and it had to get sent back or I'd have been charged nearly $1000 but I've also had 1kg opened and let through so alot depends on the one who opens to inspect it. There's about a 70% chance of them being opened as the dogs pick up on anything organic so it's not worth the risk and I get mine shipped in 250g lots to be sure I get it, while it costs more in shipping it's not so bad if you get other things with it like coals etc and even with shipping it's still cheaper than Bar & Hookah when you add shipping to their prices.
Oh man, I am in for a major sting

1.6kg of shisha coming with my order from Hookah-shisha.com...Should have known better, haha. Stupid 3am impulse shopping...

I left a message with my order to let me know of any issues with shipping to aus before shipping..a week now until I find out what's going to happen!
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

EDIT: That said, if worst comes worst, I'll have to find a way to get the shisha & coals returned and just take the rest of the order and the included shisha (which is only 100g). That would be a satisfactory result, providing I can work something out with the retailer.

Still, fingers crossed.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
poupee
Hookah Newbie

I am not sure where in australia u at but if u are in sydney, you should get hookah products easily. Check out the middle easteren stores

good luck
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:04 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

Gold Coast stores I've found carry AFZAL shisha in very limited stock as far as flavours go, and I can't get big packs anymore, only 50g's, which I go through like nothing else.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FliM- View Post
EDIT: That said, if worst comes worst, I'll have to find a way to get the shisha & coals returned and just take the rest of the order and the included shisha (which is only 100g). That would be a satisfactory result, providing I can work something out with the retailer.

Still, fingers crossed.
Good luck. When they caught mine they refused to split it so I had to send the lot back for store credit - shipping I use John at ******* Hookah now for everything I can, he never overcharges for shipping + atm he has brilliant deals on AF 50g packs (he'll split whatever you order into 250g lots for you) so that makes up for paying all the extra $$ in shipping.
Of course if you're lucky enough to have middle eastern stores near you check them out as well.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

If they do pick it and I need to send it back and won't split it, there's a good chance the replacement shipment won't arrive before I leave for the season
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

have them write its "various jams" apparently that passes really well in the UK
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

I might have to write this one off as a 'lesson learned the hard way'...It was no small order, and the shipping was...ugh let's not talk about the shipping. Put it this way, when I take into account losing what I paid in shipping, it's nearly worth paying the duty on the tobacco to get it through customs and just treating it as if I paid 50% more for everything i purchased...

What was going to be an epic weekend breaking in a new hokkah with friends before I go away is now turning into a cloud hanging over my week

That said, I checked out *************.com and the prices are better than just competitive. I'll definitely note that down for the future.

EDIT: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549 is the link to check for any other total idiots such as myself that didn't check BEFORE they bought.

Last edited by -FliM-; May 29th, 2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added a clicky!
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Wraggot
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Wraggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
pm wolfstar, he has experience, where are you in aus?
I'm in Perth, Western Australia. You'll have an order coming from me sometime very soon, I think!

Wolfstar: Cheers for the information! Just what I needed to know, thanks a lot. Definitely don't want to pay the $300 + GST, that is outrageous.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook