Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Whats The Diff?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 31st, 2008, 02:08 PM
ThorsHookah
Hookah Newbie

Default Whats The Diff?

I want to know what the is the diff from a KM and MZ. i keep hearing a lot about the two. i have smoked a KM tri metal and its pretty good. what about the Black Magic syrian compared to these. and why are they all so cheap in price a mya is no less that 140 hmmmmm.....
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:14 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Whats The Diff?

as far as quality, I think the general consensus is that it goes like this from lowest to highest

Mya
MZ
KM

I may be wrong, but that is the vibe I get.

that being said, I smoked out of Junos KM when I met him at ******* Hookah and it really made me want to get one. It smoked VERY nice
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

from what I gather, KMs' and MZs' are very similar in quality and overall construction.W/the new KM brass line being the exception, most KMs' and MZs' are stainless steel.They are both well made and sturdy.
Syrians, on the other hand are almost always solid brass. They smoke as well as most egyptians but are much more ornate in there design.
Myas are nice hookahs as well.They have very impressive glass work and many can be converted from 1 to 4 hoses easily.Why they are s pricey is beyond me. Maybe because they can be?
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

First off, I got a chuckle from the ethnographic confusion shown in the name "ThorsHookah" so thanks for that.

Anyway, both KM and MZ are very successful Egyptian brands that make high quality rigs. The other big forms that I know of are El Ashrey & Shisha king. I don't really think that a lot differences exists between the better Egyptian marques although some think that MZ has somewhat cleaner looking welds and better finishes although I don't see it personally. I think that KM has better glass in that it's thicker, denser and less likely to have air bubbles but many people don't think they differ in terms of glass. In the end all of those brands are great so just with what you like the most.

As to the Black Magic Syrian I will guarantee it to be a top quality item. The smoke chamber, down-shaft, main-shaft and hose port are as good as anything you can buy at any price. In my opinion that style of Syrian (no matter the finish style) is better then any thing in terms of function and longevity.
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:16 PM
ThorsHookah
Hookah Newbie

Where is a good place to get a KM, what KM is most valuable, best, or just the one that is a cream dream. what are you people looking for in a good hookah, is it look, smoke thickness/size, hight, weight... what makes a hookah better than the other. I usually look for presentation, then how much smoke i can get then the pull/draw of the pipe. ive been smoking for about 2 years now and know own several. for a long time ive only used my mya bohemian with a small phunnle and some tangiers. the main thing i want to know is what makes a hookah good and what makes it bad, in your own opinion, or is there a science to it?
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

You can check out the vendors section here on the forums. There are several who sell KM and MZ hookahs. ******* Hookah, PimpYourHookah, Hookah Company. What I look for in a good hookah is durability, functionality, and price. Only buy brass or stainless steel constructions. A well made hand crafted hookah is much more attractive than any stamped out cookie cutter design.

Last edited by Kwikwi; May 31st, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHookah View Post
Where is a good place to get a KM, what KM is most valuable, best, or just the one that is a cream dream. what are you people looking for in a good hookah, is it look, smoke thickness/size, hight, weight... what makes a hookah better than the other. I usually look for presentation, then how much smoke i can get then the pull/draw of the pipe. ive been smoking for about 2 years now and know own several. for a long time ive only used my mya bohemian with a small phunnle and some tangiers. the main thing i want to know is what makes a hookah good and what makes it bad, in your own opinion, or is there a science to it?
Lets cover the basics of what makes a narghile good

1) How rugged is it. When you buy a narghile keep in mind that you will spend several hundred bucks on coals and shisha within the first year so don't skimp on the rig itself if you want to get some enjoyment out of it. A decent narghile should be something can give to your grandkids in good working order and if it lasts less then 5 years it's a POS. What you want is something made entirely or mostly out of brass with stainless steel making up the rest. A decent rig should be heavy, the heavier the better. If it weighs 3 or 4 pounds itís a POS at least 95% of the time.

2) You want something that you can clean easily. Having soak for an hour or so a couple of time a week for next ten + years is what you want. It should have smooth interiors so as not to catch coal dust and be easy to deodorize.

3) It should smoke well and that means:
A) having a wide, free flowing main stem, down stem and well made smoke chamber which flows freely to the hose port.
B) A large, enclosed smoke chamber allowing the smoke condense. Syrian rigs have the best smoke chambers around in this respect and a 4 hole inlet allowing for easy movement of the smoke from the vase.
C) Cool smoke with an easy drawl. This is mainly a matter of the height of the rig. If a rig is under 22-26" you can expect harsh, hot smoke. If a rig is 40+Ē you can expect a hard drawl which make for a less pleasant session.
4) The glass need to be rugged and that means it must be well made and dense. Bohemian crystal is best as itís leaded and very strong. If you canít get Bohemian crystal what you want is something very thick with no air bubbles or a lack of uniformity of thickness.
5) The hose needs to be: easily bent, comfortable to hold, a wide mouth to give an easy draw and it must be easy to clean and able to be soaked for prolonged periods.
6) Fit. If a narghile is going to work well everything needs to fit together tightly leaving no air leaks. It has to be able to do so after being set up and taken down literally a thousand or more times.

I'll answer the other questions when I have the time if want me to.
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Personally, i'm not a big fan of the black magic. It has a common chamber and overall i'm pretty against buying unscrewable syrians.

most kms and mz's are very low grade stainless steel (as low as possible but still stainless). There are better syrians imo, the full brass traditional chamber ones are some of the best you can get your hands on, ever
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:44 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

put aside all the facts and everything im still a fan of the Km (tri-Metal)
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:59 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

The Black Magic is a nice looking rig but personally I don't like the common chamber Syrians (I have both a J & R common chamber and a traditional one), they don't draw as well and also don't clear as well as the traditional chamber + you need to soak them and never really know if they're clean.
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I don't know how you set up your rig or what Syrians you use but I have 3 different J & R Syrians and they all have effortless draw. I've never heard that complain from anyone and since i've been smoking for decades so the idea that common chambers have a problem with draw is about as unlikely as the Pope embracing Hagee style fundamentalism.

It is true that they don't purge as well as an uncommon chamber but purging is still o.k.

As to cleaning you soak and rise as you would anything else. You know it's clean by sucking on the hose port and seeing if you get any taste or not.

The Black magic is like all of that style of narghiles in that the main stem breaks down in to 2 or 3 pieces and the down stem can be taken off the smoke chamber which makes cleaning far easier then anything I've ever owned.
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

soak and rinse dont work well in my opinion. unless you can scrub some of the grim off it will get stuck in the porous metal. however if you do use some salt, it can get it off if you shake it very well
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:24 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I don't know how you set up your rig or what Syrians you use but I have 3 different J & R Syrians and they all have effortless draw. I've never heard that complain from anyone and since i've been smoking for decades so the idea that common chambers have a problem with draw is about as unlikely as the Pope embracing Hagee style fundamentalism.

It is true that they don't purge as well as an uncommon chamber but purging is still o.k.

As to cleaning you soak and rise as you would anything else. You know it's clean by sucking on the hose port and seeing if you get any taste or not.

The Black magic is like all of that style of narghiles in that the main stem breaks down in to 2 or 3 pieces and the down stem can be taken off the smoke chamber which makes cleaning far easier then anything I've ever owned.
I set it up the same way I do my other hookahs, I just tried it then side by side with my other syrian that has a traditional chamber with a large hose port and the draw is not effortless on the J & R yet is with the other one so I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on that. What I do agree on is that they are beutifal pieces I just prefer functionality and ease of cleaning first.
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Km's come with a better hose. MZ's hoses aren't that great.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook