Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Common Chamber?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 31st, 2008, 05:16 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Default Common Chamber?

can someone post pics, or a good explanation of chamber designs? as of late I have seen that used a LOT as far as describing pros/cons of certain types of hookahs
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hoohoodillyo
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Common Chamber?

This is very simple... A common chamber is when the hose port and the ball barring "blow off valve" share the same area. A non common chamber is a hookah that has individual piping from the hose port and blow off port going into the vase. Kinda like their own stem going down. Common chambers are good for the fact that you can drill more holes to allow more smoke, but they get rusty inside of that are because there is no way for the moisture to completely leave that area.

I hope this helps... if you need I will do a diagram for you.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:22 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

a common chamber is when the "heart" of he hookah,the part w/the holes that enters the base is hollow as opposed to to solid.They can be a bitch to clean.
I'll try to get a pic up.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:24 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

I always feel silly when someone else is posting at the same time as me and we say basicly the same shit!!
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hoohoodillyo
Hookah Nut

haha copy cat!
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:32 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

I get the idea, thanks for the quick response
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohoodillyo View Post
This is very simple... A common chamber is when the hose port and the ball barring "blow off valve" share the same area. A non common chamber is a hookah that has individual piping from the hose port and blow off port going into the vase. Kinda like their own stem going down. Common chambers are good for the fact that you can drill more holes to allow more smoke, but they get rusty inside of that are because there is no way for the moisture to completely leave that area.

I hope this helps... if you need I will do a diagram for you.
Basically this description is right. However, I will say that non-common smoke chambers tend to purge better although the difference is not great. I will say that I firmly believe that common chambers allow for greater smoke density and that the 4 inlet holes common to that design allow for higher volumetric efficiency which in effect means that you move more smoke with less effort (i.e. the draw is better).

A third, inferior sort of smoke chamber exists that is the Chinese style open chamber where the smoke enters directly into the hose. This style doesn't allow for the smoke to cool as much as either the non-common or common chamber allowing less condensation and a lousy purge.
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

common chambers become very hard to clean over long periods of time. you really need to be able to get in there and scrub, one of my mya acrylics became useless as i couldn't get in there with anything and the flavors became indistinguishable ='/
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Not really, all it takes to get heavy duty deep cleaning is a prolonged soak in a hot water and dish cleaning powder mix. After sitting around for 15 minutes or so a soak in hot water for about the same takes care of any gunk. In the end I've found that a bigger problem is cleaning out hoses.
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

true, wholesale the hoses are pretty cheap though so i just stock up when i need hoses, and the only non washable ones ill use are the km ones.

either way, ill stick to my full syrian that doesn't break down. if the hole in the bottom of the stem is small however, it will constrict air flow more than then 4 hole common chamber ones. the goal is to find one with a really big hose port hole in the bottom that is bigger than the kms, then youve got insane pull
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:48 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

my syrian has a nice wide tube. I just jam a brush in there and it's good as new!My hoses i take to work and give'em the gears w/the high powered air hose!
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hoohoodillyo
Hookah Nut

Either way common chambers tend to rust a bit anyway... it is harder for the moisture to completely leave that small area. My new MZ actually hits harder and easier than my MYA and i have 4 holes drilled in it?!? Well hope we got the answer on the dot for ya.
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Myas have open rather then common chambers. As to rust its never been an issue for anything i've owned other then some generic Egyptians and Myas. If you are concerned about tape a cardboard tube to your stem and tape the other end to a hair dryer and dry it out after each use.
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:46 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Myas and JandR Syrians are the more famous Common chambers. jandR hookahs are plated, which means there is a plate with 4 holes OVER the opening to the Common Chamber. this restricts/slows down the airflow, making the pull slower, but meaning you don't need to inhale as hard, but you need to for longer. I believe, in my experience, that leads to a more flavorful smoke, because the smooke rolls over your tongue slower, so you can taste it easily.
Mya's have wide open chambers, but they will not be able to get the best amount fo smoke because of a larger, less concentrated vacuum then in an Egyptian.
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

That is what Iíve been trying to convey ZS and youíve put very well. The Syrian style smoke chamber with 4 inlet holes is volumetrically more efficient in terms of moving smoke then other designs and it also condense the smoke allowing for greater flavour. Drawing takes more but less effort then un-common or open chamber designs but the greater flavour.
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
ThorsHookah
Hookah Newbie

okay just to be sure a mya is an uncommon chamber? the common chamber is on all Syrians?
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

No. Myas are open chambers. Most Syrians are common and most Egyptians are un-common.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Anything Hand-made is in the form of a Traditional Chamber (not common/open). Anything made by machine (alot of Syrians, ALL Chinese hookahs) are Common/Open chamber.

When it comes to Egyptian Vs. Syrian, it is a preference thing in terms of smoke. Do you want an effortless wide open pull that get's you a huge volume quickly? or do you want a rig with a pull that forces you to pull slowly, giving you the same volume stated above at a sower speed, but letting you "enjoy" the smoke much more.
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

brass lasts forever. so i know the only problem would be keeping it clean...so ill get the easiest to clean, in brass. be it syrian or egyptian, as long as its brass and traditional chamber, its good to go.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook