Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Marble Coals

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n
Default Re: Marble Coals

i have a huge assortment of these marbles in a couple bags, even some large ones that were molded, they are worth a try. but what i would probably do first is take a windcover or something and put it on top of them while they heat, just in case.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

fricken amazing idea.. how long did you keep on the stove...
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:44 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I've been thinking and re-reading everything and I think some here are getting careless and might get hurt. Basically, my understanding is that the original poster was talking about marbles made of stone rather then glass. Stones are much better at retaining heat then glass so it seems that if you want to get a decent heat source it would have to be stone. Now I know a little about heating stones as some old fashioned ale recipes have you raise the temperature of the wort ( the sweet liquid you have prior to fementation ) by heating stones in fire and placing them into the liquid. The sort of stones you need are solid, no splits or cracks nothing porous as those kind of stones will explode.

How safe is it to heat stones for what we are talking about doing I can't say. Still, the idea is fascinating.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

its beyond fascinating. i really would love to try it (i forgot tonight) sometime soon.

i have glass and actual rocks of various sizes and i do plan on trying it very soon, though something tells me a coil burner wont do the trick
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I wouldn't even consider doing this with glass! But if I could find the right "stones" and I was guaranteed they weren't going to explode on me, I might consider it.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
cymptom
Hookah Newbie

The marbles used by the original poster appear to be glass, which is weird because others have tried glass without any luck. I can't believe that glass would stay hot enough to smoke for more than 5 minutes, let alone 4 hours.

In any case, it still could be a great idea. Some people don't realize how significant it would be to completely eliminate coal from the smoking process. Without the coal, it might actually become plausible for people to suggest that hookah is a safer form of smoking.

I poked around on google a bit. It seems that volcanic rock would probably be the way to go, as someone previously said. I was reading about this Maori stone pit oven cooking method called hangi, in which heated volcanic stones are used to cook food. Apparently they can be heated until they are burning white. But for our purposes, a few questions need to be answered: How long can the stones hold the heat? Can they maintain a temperature consistent enough to sustain a reasonably constant smoking session? Can the heated stones emit any gases that could be inhaled in the smoke? Perhaps it would be necessary to maintain a heat source on top of the stones. Heat coils or burning coals that are shielded from the inhalation airflow could do the trick.

There's one more issue though: I've heard that the reason coals work better than any alternative is that they increase in temperature as you inhale. I don't know how important this really is, but it would seem to me to be fairly significant. I don't think there's any way to achieve this same effect using marbles or stones.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

bahhh... all this scientific research about the pull and blah blah... i wanna try it.. but i think im going to try it out back on a propaine stove.. im afrad of my kitchen blowing up.. bc thats all every1 talks about..
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Reaper_06
Hookah Newbie

Hey guys,

First post here, and though this seems like a neat and plausible idea, the reason coals are used is because as we inhale, air causes the coals to heat up, which in turn heats the shisha and so forth.

While using a stone of some sort though, this doesn't take place. I would think that you may get a decent length of time with a stone in place of a coal, you wouldn't have as enjoyable as an experience because the stone will not get hotter as you inhale.

I remember a while back someone was using an electric coil placed in what seemed to be a wind cover without holes (a cup) and was wired to heat up as a vacuum was created within it.

For all the trouble though, I'd just rather spend the 3 minutes heating up some natural coals and enjoying my smoke session! =)
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

if these marbles work as described, you eliminate the chemikills you inhale from the coals...which i see as a giant positive.
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:05 PM
cymptom
Hookah Newbie

It will really be the next step in the evolution of hookah smoking, when someone comes up with a good way of getting around the coals. Cigarette smoking by it's nature involves inhaling burning matter, and that can't be changed. But with hookah, all we want is vaporized glycerin with flavor, and perhaps some nicotine. That leaves tremendous room for the improvement of the apparatus.

Reaper: It sounds like a vaccum activated heat coil system would be the most effective alternative means of heating the tobacco. It might be too much trouble for someone to make such a contraption themselves, but once someone simplifies it into a marketable product, they'll probably make a lot of money off of it.
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:20 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymptom View Post
It will really be the next step in the evolution of hookah smoking, when someone comes up with a good way of getting around the coals. Cigarette smoking by it's nature involves inhaling burning matter, and that can't be changed. But with hookah, all we want is vaporized glycerin with flavor, and perhaps some nicotine. That leaves tremendous room for the improvement of the apparatus.

Reaper: It sounds like a vaccum activated heat coil system would be the most effective alternative means of heating the tobacco. It might be too much trouble for someone to make such a contraption themselves, but once someone simplifies it into a marketable product, they'll probably make a lot of money off of it.
why not look into utilizing the mechanism from vaporizer, i have a friend that will smoke shisha out of his vaporizer, he says it tastes fine but then again idk with him
-matt
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N

LOOK closely at the first picture. do you notice andything different about the bowl in the first picture then the second picture?
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Yeah, the ash from the coals you had on before you put the marble on! lol

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM
c000weee
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to c000weee Send a message via Yahoo to c000weee

HAHA and your the first to notice.
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

So was this all an elaborate lie?
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM
EV4N
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to EV4N

you all just got punked
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4N View Post
you all just got punked
hahaha, damn, better make sure nobody tried to do this with glass marble beads!

Put an edit in the first thread or something!? For the safety of others ..

Good Punk Though!

Old June 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM
c000weee
Hookah Nut

We heated the marbles for 30 minutes and nothing happened, no explosions on any sort. We did try smoking with them. haha just nothing worked out.
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

...really? O_o

i was about to go and waste money on this. good thing i was lazy
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM
c000weee
Hookah Nut

Sambooka there should have been the most views of a post in 1 week contest.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
swawesome
Hookah Nut

This is pretty cool! I'm gonna have to try it for sure! If it works, its gonna suck bc I just bought a new box of coals! haha
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
swawesome
Hookah Nut

so i feel really dumb! i didnt read all the posts before i posted myself! haha. lame
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

lol dont worry. i was about to go and buy some sets of marble stone. had i done that i was going to mail a dried hunk of turd over to Ev4n and c000weee
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Martello
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Martello

HAHA now i have somehting i can use my MTG counters for. Oh don't act like you dont know lol
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Reaper_06
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymptom View Post

The other thing that was nice about it was the ability to manually turn down the heat of the coil via knob.

I think if I could create a coil that would generate the amount of heat that a coal puts off (correct me if I'm wrong but something like 300-400*f ?) then it would be plausible. Only problem is using it when outdoors as I'm pretty sure I'd need to use a normal house electricity outlet. Unless I created a battery powered one that could be solar powered.

In the end, I think it would be easier to use a coal.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook