Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Minimal taste and no buzz? Please help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 1st, 2008, 01:38 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Default Minimal taste and no buzz? Please help

Folks,

I recently purchased a hookah and properly learned how to set it up after many hours of research (thanks sambooka for the vids). My girlfriend and I have smoked some Al-Waha double apple and Romman cocktail thru it, and honestly I could not tell the difference between the two, and there is no buzz effect at all. I'm using one three kings 40mm broke in half. I tried adding another half, and the smoke did get thicker for a bit but it quickly turned harsh. Any ideas? Maybe it's fine and it's just me. Is there a 'stronger' brand/flavor that we could try?

Thanks
Travis
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Minimal taste and no buzz? Please help

if it gets harsh its definitely too much heat. i haven't tried either of those tobaccos so i have no idea if there is a good taste / any from either of them, but id imagine there should be a distinguishable difference.
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:58 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the input. Any brands/flavors that you guys can recommend that give off a good flavor/buzz? I've heard alot of good things about "Starbuzz"?
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:59 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

personally i like tangiers. they have an unwashed line and i have a tutorial up how to pack it, and a washed line that is pretty easy to pack. the flavors are amazing and way better than candy tasting starbuzz in my opinion

how are you packing the bowls? exactly like the video? when you took the foil off how did it look?
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:02 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

As for brands with stronger flavors. Al Fakher, Starbuzz, Fantasia and Layalina would be good choices. There's more but these come to mind first. Make sure your packing the shisha loosely in the bowl so you get good airflow, keep it lower than the rim of the bowl, and keep the coals to the outter edges and moving every 5 mins or so. What hookah and bowl are you using?
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM
MNH
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to MNH

Starbuzz has great flavor, Fantasia and Fumari are some another ones.
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:11 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
personally i like tangiers. they have an unwashed line and i have a tutorial up how to pack it, and a washed line that is pretty easy to pack. the flavors are amazing and way better than candy tasting starbuzz in my opinion

how are you packing the bowls? exactly like the video? when you took the foil off how did it look?

I'm breaking the shisha up with my fingers and dropping it into the bowl until full. Then I LIGHTLY pat it down if any is sticking over the top. I didnt take a close look when I took the foil off...how should it look?!

Thanks!
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:13 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
As for brands with stronger flavors. Al Fakher, Starbuzz, Fantasia and Layalina would be good choices. There's more but these come to mind first. Make sure your packing the shisha loosely in the bowl so you get good airflow, keep it lower than the rim of the bowl, and keep the coals to the outter edges and moving every 5 mins or so. What hookah and bowl are you using?
I'll post up a pic of my hookah and bowl here in a second. I'm not sure what brand/model it is, but I've been wanting to figure it out! It'll be a crappy cam phone pic but it should work for now.
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:29 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Well, thats my hookah heh. Anyone know what brand it might be? It seems to be of good quality. And if it helps at all the bowl is 2.5 inches in diameter!
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:52 AM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

YEA that could be the problem if there is tobacco sticking over the edges and touching the foil it will burn and cause what you are describing....make sure next time to not (fill) the bowl put just enough in there so that it will be below the rim with a little patting..thats what i do...also you may not be getting clouds because of the brand..and also the buzz if you smoke cigs on a regular you most likely will not get a buzz with those types of shisha....Nakhla has a good buzz and i hear tangiers does to but i have never had the chance to smoke it yet

Last edited by Davis18; June 1st, 2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

if the juices are boiling over the foil and touching the coals directly youll get a nasty flavor.

the hookah is chinese.
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:08 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
if the juices are boiling over the foil and touching the coals directly youll get a nasty flavor.

the hookah is chinese.
Well, it's not a nasty flavor, just no flavor really. The hookah seems like it's of decent quality...nice and airtight, etc. The fact that its chinese should not be effecting the flavor should it?
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:16 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

If you are getting no flavor, you may have a improper seal. Air is leaking in some where. If thats not the case, more then likely it is the shisha, and sometimes its just you. :P

/root
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:32 AM
TurboTravis
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURsAKeN View Post
If you are getting no flavor, you may have a improper seal. Air is leaking in some where. If thats not the case, more then likely it is the shisha, and sometimes its just you. :P

It's definitly not leaking. I'll try a different brand and go from there. What should the shisha look like after the foil is taken off?
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:41 AM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

Well if it's going harsh, check it's not burnt. If there is a good chunk of tobacco stuck to the foil and it's black, it's a heat thing and you need to ease up on the coals

I'm not much help besides that, there are others here with a lot more to add hehe..That said, apple is normally a disctinct flavour, but having not tried Al Waha it's possible that it is a weaker flavour than the stuff I've smoked.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

It's not totally fit to this topic, but I don't want to open another one only for this. So: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6sLgrti51iU I saw this vid on youtube and I only want to ask, that everyone gets thick clouds like this when soming for example like here AF? I know that clouds are not everything, I'm just wondering
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:16 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

the tobacco is being massively overheated in that video. you can do this easily...it just will taste like crap. after tangiers i can take massive "harsh" hits...but whats the point.
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampi View Post
It's not totally fit to this topic, but I don't want to open another one only for this. So: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6sLgrti51iU I saw this vid on youtube and I only want to ask, that everyone gets thick clouds like this when soming for example like here AF? I know that clouds are not everything, I'm just wondering
It is possible to get very nice, thick clouds without harshing. View this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ucownikpQ
Btw his name is George and is always willing to answer questions.

Last edited by Kwikwi; June 1st, 2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
rileynason
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to rileynason

it looks Chinese ,
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

those are regular clouds over here...lol
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

A great KM or an MZ wont be a bad thing here too But here in Hungary i have not seen any of them :/ I thought about ordering from the US, but i'm afraid, that it would broke or something like that. Maybe once i'll order one I would like to get a KM, but it's a little bit pricey, comparing it to an MZ.
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

Quote:
A great KM or an MZ wont be a bad thing here too But here in Hungary i have not seen any of them :/ I thought about ordering from the US, but i'm afraid, that it would broke or something like that. Maybe once i'll order one I would like to get a KM, but it's a little bit pricey, comparing it to an MZ.
Don't be afraid of ordering from overseas, I do it all the time and average at least 2-3 parcels a week and have never had anything broken.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

My only problem is, that the shipping is about $35 here. So it only worth the price if I order a bigger package. That wouldn't be a problem, to save some money and than buy a bigger package, but ... :/ As far as I know u are only allowed to order from the internet a 50g package, or u can bring a 250g package with yourself. Except this, I could order other things, like hookah, bowls, coals, etc. Maybe I will I think I'll look up John with it and annoy him But my biggest problem is, that shisha is getting more and more expensive here; in the US everything is half the price :S
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:27 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

Quote:
My only problem is, that the shipping is about $35 here. So it only worth the price if I order a bigger package. That wouldn't be a problem, to save some money and than buy a bigger package, but ... :/ As far as I know u are only allowed to order from the internet a 50g package, or u can bring a 250g package with yourself. Except this, I could order other things, like hookah, bowls, coals, etc. Maybe I will I think I'll look up John with it and annoy him But my biggest problem is, that shisha is getting more and more expensive here; in the US everything is half the price :S
Yeah, it's pretty much the same here in Aus. I'm restricted to buying online because I live in a remote area, but even if I could get stuff local AF runs about $23 a tub and domestic shipping in Aus isn't that much cheaper than USPS international rates so I usually end up saving by buying from the US. Also the only online store selling hookah gear in Aus has a very limited range of flavors.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook