Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

hobohookah.com

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default hobohookah.com

I was looking for washable hoses and I came upon this site: www.hobohookah.com. I never heard about this sort of thing before and it seems like a pretty strange concept. I understand wanting a small, portable rig for parties and I understand worrying about breaking your base but this concept seems to have a lot of troubles.

First of all the rig has no ashtray and frankly I can't see smoking without one. Also, a lot of bottles are far from stable so while the stem can fit into it I don't think that should be the extent of what you pick for a base. Third, such a short stem would result in a rig that is very small and certainly a harsh, hot smoke. Forth, the price seems crazy high seeing that what you'd be getting is a stem and a few cheap accessories. Fifth, it seems that you'd need some way to keep the charcoal from falling off given that the base would often be unstable and that you'd be carrying the thing around.

In the end I guess I don't see why such a highly mobile rig is needed. While it's true that carrying around less stuff is always easier smoking narghiles is something you do sitting down around a table and while breakage is always an issue it seems that if your really concerned about it you ought not to do it at a high energy gathering. If you want to smoke something while walking around i'd suggest a Western style pipe or a cigar.

How does this idea grab the rest of you?
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Default Re: hobohookah.com

eh, its very nontraditional with a steep price tag. Xerxes, my rotator, cost just about as much.
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

from the looks of them they are just home made hookahs that someone put on the web for sale.....
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I've read some of his posts on the other forum.... and seen a youtube of his device.

Hookah smokers have been rigging up stuff like this for years in a pinch from stuff at the hardware store.

To each teir own.... but Im not real hip on straying from a traditional rig..... these contraptions you make with booze bottles remind me of stuff we used to make in college... and had to keep well hidden (if you get my drift).
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:11 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster
(if you get my drift).
all too well. They use to call me Hephaestus.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

i think the proto type is cool. I think that if you're in a pinch and you can make your own go for it. I think they found a ninch and if they do well kudos to them.

I like the look but it looks far to similar to other things for me to buy one.

Though their hobo stem attachment is rather nifty.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

I'd pay 20 bucks for one. Never 65.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofdavid
I'd pay 20 bucks for one. Never 65.
For real. $65 is just exorbitant to basically a rubber gasket. Does the thing even have a purge valve?
I dunno. They're very enterprising people, but I can't imagine this blowing up on a very large scale.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

The old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I showed a new hookah buddy the site, he likes the idea but hates the price tag. Way too much for something that's only half a hookah. Novel idea, but he needs to realize that many people are attracted to the traditional look of a full-blown hookah rig, a Homemade is nice, the travel capabities is great, but he shouldn't out price the thing.

Maybe he'll come out with a furture design with a try and bottle (nice high end conac bottle would be nice ), then I could see the price. But now, no...

For less than $10 I can make a hookah - for $60-80 i can buy a VERY nice true hookah. I'll give him props for the design.
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I suppose that a market for the thing exists but at 65USD i'd bet it is pretty small. Even if I liked the idea of what he is trying to do the lack of not just an ashtray but means to mount one and the coal/head issue I mentioned before would make not buy it even if I felt the price was sensible.

If I plan on smoking at a party I either bring one of my own rigs or cigar. A friend of mine has one of those Syrian narghile tables I talked about a while and I often use that when I visit. Some things are just not meant to to be done on the go and mu'essel smoking is one of them.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook