Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Khansar Ma'sal Samples

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Khansar Ma'sal Samples

The two kilos worth of of Khansar Ma'sal samples I picked up on my last trip to Syria have arrived in the states and have been packed up and sent out to several forum members and others in the states so they should arrive some time within the up coming week.

The Arabic note stuck on the samples basically say that they are: Khansar Hamasah Ma'sal & Khansar Sunset Ma'sal.

These are both very old fashioned Khansar Sunset Ma'sal made with something like 8 kinds of tobacco and herbal extracts which add some of the spicy undertones. If anyone has any questions about either just ask.
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:57 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel
Default Re: Khansar Ma'sal Samples

How is the taste on it?
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
mada12589
Hookah Newbie

That sounds cool, but what is the difference with an "old fashioned" taste vs. whats out today?

also, if they plan on selling in the states they might want to change the name. I bet they would have some trouble, the name looks a bit too much like cancer. Theres already enough news around about smoking causing cancer and how bad hookahs are.
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

whoever gets them are sure lucky dogs!
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

This is stacking up to be the "Cuban Cigar" of shisha.

Quote:
These are both very old fashioned Khansar Sunset Ma'sal made with something like 8 kinds of tobacco and herbal extracts which add some of the spicy undertones.
So...you smokin this with a coal directly on it... or foil-and-airspace?
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Normally the Khansar brand is pretty dry but I've gotten it fresh enough that it can pretty much be set up and smoked like normal shisha.

As to being old fashioned tasting it has no fruit flavoring and about 80% of the flavour comes from the tobaccos. The body is medium to heavy and it has no glycerine. Both have a fair amount of mocha/coffee/toffee tones and the spices are kind of off in the background. Both are tobamels (honey is the agglutinant rather then molasses ) and you can clearly taste the honey although it's not strong.

The name comes from a city in Iran that is a famous tobacco production center.

I can't imagine it being sold in the states due to sanctions, constant threat of war and basically it's just a regional brand so they don't make the stuff in 100 ton batches.
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

cool send me some!! =)
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
whoever gets them are sure lucky dogs!
I agree! Damn, this stuff sounds fantastic!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Wish I would have known where to get in on this deal.
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I can't wait to try it Hajo, than you so much for your generosity!

The tunes, by the way, are compiled onto separate CD's i play during Hookah Sessions with different people. I actually made a very new close friend because we got talking about the guitar solos in Abyssic Light. I basically proceeded to tell them I got that sent to me special and I know the guitarist.

Actually, one of my friends wants to sample it into one of his own electronic trip-hop tunes!
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

My pal in the states dropped me a line and said he will offers samples from his personal stockpile to three more HPers who want the Khansar Ma'sal. Since he doesn't have much left the way it will work is that first 3 people to PM me are the ones that will get it. Note that this stuff is not American style washed shisha but gets it's flavours mostly from the tobaccos used so it you're into SB then this stuff is not for you. Beyond that he asks that you supply a large envelope as he used up his stock.

He also has 5 250g boxes of soex to give away as well. Anyone that wants one is welcome to them.
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

So I was lucky enough to recieve samples of this product from Hajo and would like to publicly thank him for the gift! These are easily 2 of the finest traditional moassells I have ever had! This is a rare and valuable gift and I am grateful to hajo for his time and thoughtfulness!
And also hajo, thanks to Adam for handling the shipping!

Last edited by abu ronin; June 14th, 2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I also got my samples, and would also like to extend a very thankful Thank You to Hajo and Adam! They smell very, very delicious and I look forward to indulging myself.

That was very thoughtful of you to offer that up Hajo.
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM
PhilipHand
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Normally the Khansar brand is pretty dry but I've gotten it fresh enough that it can pretty much be set up and smoked like normal shisha.

As to being old fashioned tasting it has no fruit flavoring and about 80% of the flavour comes from the tobaccos. The body is medium to heavy and it has no glycerine. Both have a fair amount of mocha/coffee/toffee tones and the spices are kind of off in the background. Both are tobamels (honey is the agglutinant rather then molasses ) and you can clearly taste the honey although it's not strong.

The name comes from a city in Iran that is a famous tobacco production center.

I can't imagine it being sold in the states due to sanctions, constant threat of war and basically it's just a regional brand so they don't make the stuff in 100 ton batches.
I've got an Iranian friend who knows where to get this in dallas, tx for about 15 dollars (he has connections he won't mention) and he will be going there this week, bringing some back. I'm really excited!
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:41 AM
MNH
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to MNH

I need to try some of this.. I hear good thinks about it.
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:44 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

perhaps this could be arranged.
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipHand View Post
I've got an Iranian friend who knows where to get this in dallas, tx for about 15 dollars (he has connections he won't mention) and he will be going there this week, bringing some back. I'm really excited!
Please, tell me more in private.
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I'm glad to hear that Abu and Zen are enjoying the samples and thank them for the nice posts. What I like about traditional style ma'sals is that they are very complicated with layer flavours. Everytime you smoke you find something new rather then simply going "oh, strawberry". You guys should know that the chocolate/coffee flavours are not a result of some sort of additive but a result of the kind of tobaccos used and how they are cured. A lot of little companies like the Syrian Khansar cure with burning hardwoods, and pots filled with anise oils and spinkle the leaves with Dabur Keroa as they age. Idea is to use stuff that bring out the natural flavours in the tobaccos used rather then cover it up with some thing else.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; June 15th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipHand View Post
Couple of things. Khansar tobacco has 3 meanings: 1) It's the name of a leaf strain just like Ajamy or Connecticut Shade and as such it can used in anything from cigarettes and food to great ma'sal. 2) It's a product line made by a small Syrian company which made in or around Al-Hasakah 3) An Iranian made line of Jurak like products .

To the best of my knowledge the stuff isn't exported anywhere although I'd guess you can get it in Lebanon. In part it's because the Syrian firm (I don't know much about the Iranian company) is very small and in fact you can't even buy their products in Damascus. Of course like a lot of little companies they used old fashioned packaging which doesn't work to well sitting on ships and in wharehouses for months.

Maybe your friend has tombac made from Khansar leaves?

Anyway, I should be getting some of the Iranian made Jurak type stuff in soon and of course I'll be giving half of what I get away so as to spread the joy of traditional products.

Old June 17th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Hey Hajo!

Got mine today, Big Thank You to You and Adam!

Got a bowl packed of "Sunset" and an gonna head out to smoke it and watch a thunderstorm roll through. This is gonna be niiiiice!

Reviews to follow.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I'm really delighted to hear that so many people are enjoying traditional style ma'sal and it had me thinking that perhaps Americans are open to a lot more things then I assumed which pretty cool. Anyway, Adam tells me he sent out the last batch of samples to the HPs and and a few others so you guys ought to have it some time next week.

I should be getting in some genuine Iranian Khansar jurak soon asa buddy says he mailed out about a week ago. I'll be willing to split my stock in half with my fellow HPers so keep an eye out for the new thread if you want to try this stuff out.
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I got my samples this morning. Thank you very much Hajo and Adam for including me. They both smell great and I can't wait to smoke some Sunset after dinner tonight.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I am delighted you guys are enjoying this stuff. Who knows, maybe Americans will one day get into traditional style ma'sals and not just candy/mixed drinks/fruity flavours. What I find so interesting about this brand is that it's all natural with no flavour concentrates. The chocolate/coffee tastes are naturally a product of the tobaccos and the curing/fermentation methods used.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; June 22nd, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Sweet jeebus I would love to get my hands on some of this.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

I'd rather not have samples of something I can't buy in case I really like it
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook