Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Aluminum Foil sides

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
pswami
Hookah Nut

Default Aluminum Foil sides

So I actually never heard about this before joining this forum; why do people say to put the shiny side of the foil down? There is no difference in manufacturing. The sheets get made in pairs, and get stacked as they go through the flattener. So, the side of the foil to touch the flattener gets shiny, the other side is dull. There's no chemical difference.

So am I missing something when everyone says to put the shiny side down? Or is it just superstition/people not knowing how these things are made?
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
EpsilonX
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Aluminum Foil sides

its so the shiny side will reflect the heat back in.
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM
pswami
Hookah Nut

Hmm...how does that work? The fact that it's shiny would only make it work at reflecting light, not heat...
Old June 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
sexyghost
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sexyghost Send a message via MSN to sexyghost

I've done it both ways and it works either way. I normally just do shiny side down though. Everyone says it redirects the heat but I'm with ya pswami it don't make a whole lot of since.
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
YA-MEZ
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to YA-MEZ

it doesnt really truly matter which side you choose...i just keep the dull side up out of habit... :P
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

its wait ppl say.. and usually its jsut habbit... doesnt make much sence but who knows.. jsut doo it!!!! dont ruin the theory.. lol =P
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Bassism
Hookah Nut

The finish on the aluminum foil does in fact make a difference in my experience. It's much like the difference between a satin black and a matte black surface on a sunny day.

As an experiment, next time you're baking cookies, cook one batch with the shiny side up and one with the shiny side down. You'll find that the batch with the cookies in contact with the shiny side of the foil are quicker to scorch on the bottom.

That said, I'm not sure that the difference is significant enough to notice when smoking hookah. Everything heats up as you inhale and cools when you're not inhaling, so I doubt that the small difference in heat retention via the foil is going to make much of a difference.

For myself, I almost always use my foil with the shiny side down, unless I'm smoking something that burns easily, where I'll put the shiny side up. It seems to make a difference to me, but I've not done any rigorous testing, so I'm willing to bet it's largely a placebo effect.
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
hookahboi
Hookah Newbie

I used to put the the shiny side up all the time , cuz it looks better lol , it was working great with me , until I decided to see what if I put it the way like everyone says , so I did , for some reason my shisha last longer and the taste last longer and didnt burn like before . So , I wold say do it both ways and see yourself if there will be a difference
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:09 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

There has been a thread about this before. A member looked up a statement from Reynolds Foil. It read something like the shineyness did not have an effect on cooking. That being said, it would lead me to believe it made no difference. It is the same foil one side of the foil is just facing the polishing rollers and the other side isn't
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:02 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

i think there is no difference between shiny side up or down ... it doesnt matter for me.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Stuie
Hookah Newbie

I only use foil on my phunnels and I never notice a difference every other bowl I use screens.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
dxp
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
its so the shiny side will reflect the heat back in.
yeah this is correct - we used to setup shiny side up -but u tend to use more coal that way i think

shiny side down is better cos you dont need as much coal on when its fully going because the heat stays in
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:55 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswami View Post
So I actually never heard about this before joining this forum; why do people say to put the shiny side of the foil down? There is no difference in manufacturing. The sheets get made in pairs, and get stacked as they go through the flattener. So, the side of the foil to touch the flattener gets shiny, the other side is dull. There's no chemical difference.

So am I missing something when everyone says to put the shiny side down? Or is it just superstition/people not knowing how these things are made?
its because people dont understand physics and metallurgy. if you were using a light or heat lamp but is direct heat through induction. heat being reflected back, not we arent talking about waves of any kind to be reflected.

some people argue over and over about it but seriously it is illogical when you really look at it and understand what is happening.

the amount if there is a difference should be so minimal you wont notice it
-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook