Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

headaches

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 13th, 2008, 02:14 AM
skiflow
Hookah Newbie

Default headaches

just a general question,
When all of you started to first smoke hookah, did you get really bad headaches after your session? It seems like every time a have been smoking, I've been getting throbbing headaches. I don't know what it is. I smoke about 1-5 times a month (which isn't much). I eat something and drink water with each session and take excedrins and I can't seem to not get a headache. It really makes me mad because I LOVE smoking hookah. Also, I sometimes get really nauseous and have to lay down. I know this sounds really pathetic and all, but I really need some help or need to know this happens to other people as well. Any "hookah sickness" stories!!!
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno
Default Re: headaches

What are you smoking?

What coals?

What hookah?
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:17 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Carbon monoxide from the coals. I wouldn't use those coals anymore. May i refer Golden Coal QL Coals or 3 Kings coals, or natural coals.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Juno
Banned

Dude, he's gotta be using some barbecue briquettes if he's getting pounding headaches.

Let's hope he's not, at least...
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:29 AM
pswami
Hookah Nut

Possibly carbon monoxide. The nausea sounds more like it's a nicotine issue. So...what coals? What tobacco? How long/how intensely are you smoking?
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:32 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

It's not uncommon for those that don't smoke often to get a little light headed or headache from smoking.Be sure your coals are thoroughly lit on both sides and take time between pulls to get some air.good luck!
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:39 AM
skiflow
Hookah Newbie

im using exoticas that are completely lit. I have a lot of tobacco. Al waha peach, AF rose, fusion watermelon, nakhla DA, layalina grape, pharoah's fruitopia. I do like to take big hits. Smoking from 28'' syrian with nammor hose, or hose that came with the pipe.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Juno
Banned

Well, just sleep it off.

I used to get pounding headaches, but it turns out it was due to Layalina's abundance of food coloring.
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:10 AM
WinterWings
Hookah Newbie

one of the first few times i smoked hookah, it was only me and my drummer rather than the rest of the band and acouple more people so me and him had a session and i was smokin alot so i got a good buzz than it turned into getting light headed and dizzy than a sick stomach feeling than i got supper tingly all over. that would be the nicotine getting to me. so my drummer ran and got the awesome perfect cure for that some ginger ale and an apple and we aired out the room alittle and within 20 minutes i felt fine. ive never hit that point since. so maybe if you feel sick try some ginger ale and an apple and it might help
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:09 AM
hookhaham
Banned

Send a message via MSN to hookhaham

hey mate i think you may be getting head rush, When your headache(headrush) starts go out side to have a hreash breath of pure clean air and it will dissipear and go back etc etc
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

yea dude i felt like dying after my first session it will pass...i get them to when smelling exoticas when there lighting or lit.......
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
kryptic
Hookah Newbie

I get those headaches from time to time. It's usually from trying to get the hookah started and inhaling really heavy and using Nakhla which gives me a buzz regardless doesn't help much either. I'd say what hookaham said, just once you feel the headache come on go outside and grab some fresh air it really does help.
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Stuie
Hookah Newbie

I only get headaches if I put too much heat on Nakhla and Tangiers...but that's usally the result of buzzing for an few hours and it turning into a headache later in the night.
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM
hookah_man69
Hookah Newbie

try using different shisha and cowls.
or consider getting a new hookah. i know that might be a problem in the us but if you like smoking hookah than maby thats what you have to do.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj

I occasionally get headaches, as well as other problems, but they seem to only be when I smoke molasses tobacco, mostly I use honey based (HH and HF) and don't have problems, if you are using molasses perhaps you have the same problem as I do, only to a greater extent? But I can't think of anything else to recommend that hasn't been said already.
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
EpsilonX
Hookah Nut

I got real sick my first time smoking hookah lol.
but thats cuz we were smoking al fakher and I was just ripping on that thing cuz the flavor was sooooo goood! lol. ended the session with hardcore light head, and then some puking.
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
skiflow
Hookah Newbie

thanks for all the tips. it also could be because im pretty little. 5'6'' 135 pounds
my other friends who is about the same size gets the same thing
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:41 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

Get yourself a Shisha Carbon Filter, remove the screens and replace the carbon that comes in it with peletized carbon (0 drag that way), put it on once you reach a comfortable buzz and keep on smoking.
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Rizzer
Hookah Newbie

Yeah this happened to me a few times in my early days of smoking. I would get this pounding headache and it ruined the ends of good sessions. Stopped happening now though so maybe it was due to my poor technique at the time.
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
skiflow
Hookah Newbie

i think it is probably because i dont smoke as much as you all do here. i just need to get my body acclimated to smoking i think. maybe i should smoke a TON and get a really bad headache and get sick and then maybe it wont happen again. i dont want to do that though haha.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM
kryptic
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiflow View Post
i think it is probably because i dont smoke as much as you all do here. i just need to get my body acclimated to smoking i think. maybe i should smoke a TON and get a really bad headache and get sick and then maybe it wont happen again. i dont want to do that though haha.
Yea I wouldn't try to smoke a ton of it. If you never smoked anything besides a hookah it's probably just your adjustment phase were your not used to smoking. I had this when I used to smoke cigarettes in the beginning I had headaches all the time to the point were I had to take advil and then just lie down for an hour to fell better. But you can try and do what everyone else said, new coals, shisa (Nakhla Lemon gives me the biggest headache when I pack it alone), or even a hookah. My suggestion is, don't be the starter of the hookah were you have to take huge breathes to get it started. And don't take big breathes, take smaller breathes that helped me when I start to get a headache.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:43 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

I don't care how conditioned or how long anyone has been smoking before they found hookah. Don't take huge vacuum pulls every 4 and 1/2 seconds. Take some time like abu said and get some air to your brain. Drink lots of water when you are smoke, and even when your not. It is summer time ya know, you could be hydrated. You said you use fully lit exoticas so its not the coals.
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

it all has to do with not getting enough air flow to ur brain and the nicotine even tho its not alot it still will get to you a lil.. but yea im actaully starting to get the headaches again bc im trying to quit smoking cigarettes so thats less nicotine my body is getting and then the hookah just gives me a headace.. but you will get use to it.. ur body needs to adapt
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Sport City
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Sport City

I heard once that headaches can be caused from a lack of oxygen getting to the brain causing small nerves to throb. Try spacing your hits apart and maybe taking an ib profin before your session.
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM
bassplayerguy
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bassplayerguy

it happens to everyone just make sure youre coals are fully lit...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook