Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

You MUST BE "18+" to be a Member here!

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share

Old June 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default You MUST BE "18+" to be a Member here!

OK, maybe this is all not clear ...

You MUST BE "18+" to be a Member here ... If you are announcing in threads or chat that you are anything under the age of 18, you are going to be banned until you are 18.

Abide by this rule, if you wish to stay here as an active Member. I am sorry to sound harsh, but I thought everyone was aware of this. I don't have control over the US law.

We have two checks in place, an age validation check, and an agreement to the rules form (stating that you are 18+). It can't stop everyone, but if you are going to come in here and publicly announce your age, well then we have no other choice but to take action to stay in accordance with age restrictions.

The Hookah Pro Staff

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
WingsOfWar
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to WingsOfWar Send a message via Skype™ to WingsOfWar
Default Re: You MUST BE "18+" to be a Member here!

Sam, I think this is a bit not correct. I understand - it's USA law, but don't you think it's stupid? I know - person under 18 years can't smoke or drink alkochol. But... He can't to talk about it? What you think?

P.S. I don't said that I'm under 18 ;]
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Look, I am not in agreement with it either ... but that is just the way it is unfortunately ... I don't make the rules, I just follow them.

When a Member signs up, they must enter their birthdate (showing they are 18+) and they must also agree to the registration and check a box that says they are at least 18 years of age. Theoretically we shouldn't even have to make this thread.

People don't have to agree with this thread or rule, I am not completely ok with it either. I wish it was different, but like I said .. I don't write the rules, I just follow them.

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

The problem with allowing underage members, even if they ONLY talk about it and don't smoke, is that it gives them the idea that they CAN.

US law doesn't allow underage tobacco sales, most Hookah vendor also DO NOT allow underage people to make purchases. One can get in SERIOUS trouble selling tobacco to a minor. Since it can't be SOLD to them, this would also cover not allowing under 18 members on sites that discuss tobacco use. It can be considering "glamorizing" tobacco use.

Laws suck, but they are there for a reason.
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

At least one person has my back on this, and acknowledges that this is a rule set by higher authority. Thanks Sammn!

Old June 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM
BuzzardBait
Hookah Newbie

it is pretty simple. just keep your mouth shut if you are under 18 and enjoy the site. they aren't asking you for an id at the door. just asking you to keep it on the down low if you snuck by the door. if you are announcing you are under 18 you will most likely be tossed out on your butt by one of the bouncers hehe
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

It's the same if you try and enter a tobacco company, ie Phillip Morris, or an alcohol companies website. You must agree that you are of the legal age to enter the site. All we need is to be blamed for contributing to the delinquency of a minor to hose this site and shut it down. Follow the rules people, it's even more simple than avoiding talking about it.
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

there are 3 reasons why I agree w/this rule-
1) as someone who started smoking ciggarettes when they were 11yrs old, and deeply regrets it, I can tell you that there are some decesions that are better made by well informed adults. And as a father of 2 underage children, I would preffer that they waited untill they were older before making such decissions.
2)hypothetical-Let's say little "Billy" gets caught useing banned substances by mom and dad. They search his room and find his $25 chinese shisha and the Hookahpro tab on his PC. Next thing you know, Sam has to deal w/messages from irrate parents and so goes the perpetuation of the stigma that many of us work so hard to dispell.
3)Personally, like many members, I'm well into my 30s and use this forum as a place for mature, informed discussion of an ancient hobby that many of us take quit seriously. I don't necessarily want to constantly scroll through threads about how cool it is that "billy" can blow smoke rings through a toilet paper tube!

PS: I just woke up and have'nt had my coffee yet. Sorry if I sound cranky!
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I am cranky about it to, and I had my tea already!

Nobody is in trouble, not upset, nothing like that .. just want to make sure you are all aware of a rule that is in place!

This has now been added to future Welcome PMs and E-Mails:
"Also note, when you registered you agreed that you are 18+ and this site is only for Members that are 18+ if we find out that you are not 18+, then you will be asked to leave. Sorry, we don't make up the rules, we just follow them."

Old June 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
wtp_J
Hookah Nut

I saw that some people announced it in threads and I was pretty upset. I waited until I was 18 to get my first hookah out of respect for the law and my family. I back you 100% Sam.
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Aiding, Assisting or Informing minors on how to use or acquire tobacco or tobacco smoking/use devices may be in violation of Federal, State or Local laws.

The last thing this site or any like it would need is a smear by anti-tobacco saying that "we help minors learn to smoke"
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

hi sam,
I agree with this forum rule, but dont you think it is okay to allow international users with 16+ (when its allowed in their country) to stay here? I dont think, that the US controls are that strict, that they ban international U18's in the internet, if they talk about smoking? i mean, we are not in a hookah bar, where we are smoking - we are just talking about smoking and this isnt banned?!

otherwise i think the ban for younger folks is okay. in our german Shisha Forum, there are users, who are 12, 13 or 14 years old and they dont write in an adequate style. to ban users like them would be reasonable, but users who act like "adults" should be allowed to be a part of communities like this.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

There's no reason why a couple people should cause Sambooka problems. If the rules of the US and the rules of HookahPro are set in place, it is our duty as Members to follow them. You agreed to do just that when you joined the Community.

There's nothing anyone can do if you are under 18 and do not publicly announce it. It's just a warning, saying if you are under legal smoking age, and you are caught, you will be banned until you are able to return at a legal age. If it's that hard to deal with, then you need to stop trying to be such a rebel.

Also, if I send tobacco through a trade to a Minor, that in fact makes me a criminal. All because some kid was lying. I don't want to get in trouble for supplying tobacco products to some little kid, so you should also not be so selfish and think about others well-being.

Last edited by ZenSilk; June 13th, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
cardevi
Hookah Newbie

In my personal opinion, I think the age limit should be even higher. I think you shouldn't be allowed to smoke until you are 21. So, all those that are 18+ should be happy that someone like me doesn't make the rules. Rules are rules and whether you agree with them or not, you must abide by them. That is where one can demonstrate truly how mature one is; when you can obey the rules that are set, and accept the consequences when you break them.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Hey, if i made the rules, I'd make alcohol a controlled substance. Think about how many people that kills a year!
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
cardevi
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Hey, if i made the rules, I'd make alcohol a controlled substance. Think about how many people that kills a year!
Agreed!! People are always worried about the illegal substances, and rightfully so. But it is the stuff that is legal and so readily available, like alcohol, that is most dangerous!!!
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardevi View Post
Agreed!! People are always worried about the illegal substances, and rightfully so. But it is the stuff that is legal and so readily available, like alcohol, that is most dangerous!!!
Damn, i like you!

But as to not thread jack, someone being under 18 can get us ALL in criminal trouble. It's just a selfish act if you were to trade while being under-age.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardevi View Post
In my personal opinion, I think the age limit should be even higher. I think you shouldn't be allowed to smoke until you are 21. So, all those that are 18+ should be happy that someone like me doesn't make the rules. Rules are rules and whether you agree with them or not, you must abide by them. That is where one can demonstrate truly how mature one is; when you can obey the rules that are set, and accept the consequences when you break them.
Although that is a good idea, it isn't necessarily the best idea. no matter what age you are going to have that immature rulebreaker. Sure it ends at a certain extent, but its still gonna happen, especially with people that are about to hit the age they have a lot more freedom. People nowadays are ignorant and unresponsive to set rules and theres no avoiding it unfortunately
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
cardevi
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Damn, i like you!

But as to not thread jack, someone being under 18 can get us ALL in criminal trouble. It's just a selfish act if you were to trade while being under-age.
Exactly my point in my previous post. Someone said somethng to the affect that they disagree becasue if you are under the limit but act mature, there should be no problem. I say, if you are under the age limit and are mature, then you won't even lie about your age and will not have a problem staying away from the site until it is permissable. Like you said, not only will the individual be jeopordize themsleves, they will potentially jeopordize everyone on the board!!
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

I accept all the forum rules and just wanted to add my personal opinion
the discussion about alcohol is in another thread, but i think its less dangerous than smoking. smoking causes cancer (doesnt matter, how much you smoke), alcohol isnt damaging, if you are careful and dont drink that much. everyone should kow this ...
maybe the german law is too lenient, because its allowed to drink and smoke with 16 but i think its the wrong way to ban everything for young people.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
I would immediately go into the bathtub distilling business. And I would be my biggest customer.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:05 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
I would immediately go into the bathtub distilling business. And I would be my biggest customer.
Dude, you'd make a lot of money.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM
cardevi
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
Although that is a good idea, it isn't necessarily the best idea. no matter what age you are going to have that immature rulebreaker. Sure it ends at a certain extent, but its still gonna happen, especially with people that are about to hit the age they have a lot more freedom. People nowadays are ignorant and unresponsive to set rules and theres no avoiding it unfortunately
It's not even an idea, it is what it is. People will obviously do whatever the hell they want and there is no stopping them. My whole point is that there are rules that need to be followed. Most people will, and there will be a few that won't. My message to the few that won't is, do what you feel you have to do, just keep in mind you can and are doing more harm to yourself and the community than you might realize. And if you still feel the need to be part of something that you technically can't be a part of yet, keep yourself on the down low and off the radar until your time comes. The last thing anybody wants is a problem and I don't think anybody wants to give Sambooka any problems. He's a cool guy and I personally appreciate all his efforts in respect to the board and would not want to see him compromised legally in any which way or form. Peace

Last edited by cardevi; June 13th, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
EpsilonX
Hookah Nut

Since I read this I should prolly anounce this, The thread I made with the vote, is not directed under 18, its directed towards people still living at home, or in there younger years still.
I should have made that more clear.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Reguardless if someone agrees or disagrees of the rules and guidelines that are place. You will follow them or you will just frankly "Get the fuck out" and not ruin it for everyone else.
There is no gray area, it's black and white. Minor in this forum is just a devestating bomb waiting to explode.

/root

Last edited by FURsAKeN; June 13th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook