Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Diving Into Hookah World

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 14th, 2008, 01:04 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Default Diving Into Hookah World

Well, it finally happened! My 32" Egyptian came in the mail, and I knew exactly what to do from setup to clean up, thanks to everyones advice (esp Sambooka and his vids)! I was thinking of breaking this into multiple posts but I'll leave it as one and anyone can answer any portion that they like....

1. I was smoking Soex Herbal and got a wicked wicked headache about 15 minutes later.. is this normal for herbal? I smoke cigarettes from time to time and don't ever feel anything like this.

2. My quick lights only lasted about 50-60 minutes.. is this a normal duration for quicklight coals or would I need to go natural for a longer, slower burn?

3. Everyone here vivdly discusses flavors of the tobaccos, etc. I smoked a bowl of Soex Double Apple and a Bowl of Soex Mango, and found that the flavor of the smoke was nearly identical. Is this the case wtih the non herbal tobacco?
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:12 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Default Re: Diving Into Hookah World

Good for you Welcome to our world.
I don't have experience in SOEX so I can't make any recomendations on the headache. I do recomend some Al Fakher though since it is reputable.
But quicklites for 50-60 minutes, that's unheard of, no? I don't use them at home for persoanl use but at work we do and they burn through quickly.

Take your time experimenting with different flavors, Al Fakher has a current promotion of buying 5 get 3 free 50g packs. I can't self promote (board rules) but I can tell you there are only 2 vendors on the market that offer this special. That would be my recomendation for you. Good luck

(mods, i hope that was fair)
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

I can vouch for John. He is an awesome person.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:26 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Soex is weak stuff dude. Herbal isn't that great. Go for the real stuff! AF is a good one, another good brand from personal experience is often SB. I haven't had any lately but people praise it. Try some fusion too. Heard only great things about it. Romman is nice too if you got some change to spare :P. I have tried 2 of their flavors, both fantastic.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:28 AM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

he cant self promote, but I can tell you that John at ******* Hookah is AWESOME. Ditch the Soex and grab yourself some good Al Fakher. I used to smoke upwards of a pack and a half a day, now with a few sessions a week, I dont crave cigs as much (and when I do have one, they taste gross to me :P)

and to add a little

The problem with Starbuzz is that they do not offer 50G packages like AF and most other shishas, so if you dont like a flavor, you are stuck with $18 (give or take) worth of stuff you dont like...

that being said though, most SB flavors are good. I used to really like SB but now I am moving more towards AF because of how awesome/cheap it is. Plus they are releasing flavors all the time (well it seems like that as of lately :P)

Last edited by 1stGenRex; June 14th, 2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Bassism
Hookah Nut

Soex tastes universally like crap, and can give me headaches too. Dump that stuff as soon as you can.

Another possible cause for headaches would be your coals. When using quicklites, especially if they are a lower quality brand, always make sure that the coal has completely ashed over (glowing red and/or ashy white) before you place it on the bowl. Otherwise you'll be inhaling remnants of the accelerant which tastes horrible and can give you headaches.
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

The reason Soex gives you a headache is because the manufacturer has laced it w/the legendary HAITIAN BLACK MAGIC ZOMBIE POWDER!!! Every time you smoke you are slowly succumbing to the effects of this mysterious substance!Please stop smoking Soex!!
45min+ isn't uncommon for QL coals under certain circumstances,ie. no wind, not tugging away every 7 seconds, etc.
John's right. try some AF. They have specials running on sample packs and it is pretty easy to smoke for beginners. May I be so bold as to sugget a vendor?-http://www.*************.com/ good luck!

Last edited by abu ronin; June 18th, 2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: fix link
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Rizzer
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
The reason Soex gives you a headache is because the manufacturer has laced it w/the legenary HAITIAN BLACK MAGIC ZOMBIE POWDER!!! Every time you smoke you are slow succumbing to the effects of this mysterious substance!Please stop smoking Soex!!
Haha, yeah as everyone else has been saying, steer clear of the soex and try out other brands such as Al Fakher. Definitely take advantage of the offer going on at John's so you can try out some flavors and see what you like best.

Also, i don't know what brand of quick lites you are using but you could get some Three Kings as these are probably the best imo. ************* stock them too.
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Ok I don't know what brand the quick lights are, but they are supposedly egyptian and come wrapped in gold foil stacks of ten. Also, the seller threw in some "High Life" herbal molasses. Does anyone know this brand and is it better than Soex?
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

the quicklites may be pharoahs as they have gold foil. they are not bad at all for quick lites. i actually use them quite a bit at work.
just stay clear of herbal, it's not the same as traditional shisha.
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
EpsilonX
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
the quicklites may be pharoahs as they have gold foil. they are not bad at all for quick lites. i actually use them quite a bit at work.
just stay clear of herbal, it's not the same as traditional shisha.
im pretty sure he got goldens....
but when you say the quick lites lasted 50-60 minutes that is pretty good, I average between 45 minutes and an hour with golden small quicklites.
and I agree, even though herbal may sound smarter its not.
If you went herbal cuz you dont want nicotine, then order some AF, and one of the carbon filter mouth tips
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Ok I don't know what brand the quick lights are, but they are supposedly egyptian and come wrapped in gold foil stacks of ten. Also, the seller threw in some "High Life" herbal molasses. Does anyone know this brand and is it better than Soex?
there's a reason why you got it for free!
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:27 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Oh good god, I've been flim flammed. These are Universe Charcoals from China! I was told they were egyptian! Has only used these?
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

most ql's are from china, but the best are usually from holland, you'll be alright everyone goes through this learning experiece. time for you to get into other brands of shisha and coals, that's all. Check out the products review section and you'll be on your way to happy smoking
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE QL's get some 3 kings.

if you can deal with a little prep time (set them on the stove while you prep everything) get some coco-naras. I have had GREAT luck with them, and they are GREAT. Exoticas aren't as great as I thought they would be...
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Magikwyrkz4u
Hookah Nut

Smile Re: Diving Into Hookah World

I would have to agree here with pretty much everyone. And, I to was a cigarette smoker like 1st Gen Rex. Since taking up hookah my cig smoking has gone way down, and to top that off , I don't even miss them all that much.
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

Personally, I do not like QL coals. I prefer Japanese style. I have no experience at all with SOEX. I prefer good quality tobacco, like Al Fakher premium. It costs a bit more, but Baskin-Robbins ice cream costs more than low grade ice cream.
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM
PhilipHand
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Oh good god, I've been flim flammed. These are Universe Charcoals from China! I was told they were egyptian! Has only used these?
Yeah, I usually smoke QLs when I don't feel like spending the time to set up naturals(when friends are over), but i've tried several quicklites, my favorites being three kings, but rolland are the worst by far.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook