Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Ordering from US + Customs

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Ordering from US + Customs

DMC, did you mean UPS or USPS?

USPS I can understand customs, but your earlier posts have "UPS" - why did they send a customs fee? Sorry, just trying to figure out why and such not....
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii View Post
DMC, did you mean UPS or USPS?

USPS I can understand customs, but your earlier posts have "UPS" - why did they send a customs fee? Sorry, just trying to figure out why and such not....
i also got a customs fee of UPS some months ago, when i ordered a nintendo ds from ebgames.com
The letter said, that the goods have been taxed by german customs and UPS advanced the money for the taxes ... so i had to pay 19% of the package (normal german VAT) plus 10% for UPS ...
seems like this is the normal way of UPS for international shipping.
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Damn... didn't know that part. O_O I only thought USPS would hit ya for customs, but I guess the other carriers have no choice if the county does it. Double Damn...
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah

Well, you are right...but wouldn't it be better to just lose $30ish or waste over $300?
Old June 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I don't really have these sorts of problems. Basically what I do is send money to friends in the states who purchase the tobacco and then repack it sans boxes/tubs along with food products (chile, molasses, spices etc.) and it's sent as food items. I've been doing it for a while and i;ve never had trouble with customs yet.
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Bassism
Hookah Nut

I always use usps when I'm importing things. If it's a low value, small package marked as a gift, they don't bother opening it at the post office.
I think that the courier companies check everything so that they aren't held liable for anything.
I also don't buy more than 500g at a time.
Sorry to hear this though, that sucks a lot.
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
wolfstar
Hookah Nut

And I thought Aus Customs were bad enough charging $300 a kg + GST if it's over 250g, 250g and under you can get away with but marking something as a food product will get it red flagged for inspection for sure. At least they send you a letter with the duties to be paid or you get the option of returning to the sender before it's released so you never get caught with a bill after the fact.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM
cigarron
Hookah Newbie

Hmmm. Kind of been wondering if customs in the UK is a problem in light of a recent trade. I sent a bowl and some shisha in late May via US Post. After almost a month, it still hasn't arrived. Never had this problem with any shipment which didn't involve tobacco. As others have commented, the shipping cost is outrageous and the Postal people at either end can't account for its whereabouts.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

wow thats soo messed up..man.. like it was a drug deall its some tobaccoo thats nuts!!!
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
mikeypas
Hookah Newbie

Hey - I was in the same situation as you regarding custom fees. I'm in Canada and received a package from hookah-shisha and there was $700 customs tacked on. so I sent to dispute, and no, no matter what you write, gift, value $2 or whatever, tobacco is valued by weight, and yes you will pay ALOT for it , no matter what you have written on it. They do know what shisha is , and they consider it "pipe tobacco". So they refused my dispute, I had it returned to sender, got a refund, and lost $40 in shipping fees.

Now, for your situation, you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT HAVE TO PAY. Why? Because you accepted the package before they notified you of custom fees. That is not the standard of practice for any shipping company. That happened to me once and I got them to cancel it. They cannot retroactively charge you for an item unless they informed you of the customs fee. It's like going to a restaurant, paying for the meal, and a month later getting a bill for the tip. Doesn't work that way. Call the shipping company, explain, go higher and higher up the chain, and finally they will drop it, because they screwed up..

good luck and let us know how it goes!
(btw: my first post! yay)
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

maybe the customs of canada, australia and so on arent that strict.
the european customs get nearly every package from abroad.

the best is to send it out from a private address, ship it as a gift and pack the tobacco in other containers like marmelade glasses or something like this ..
but if they seize it or not is a pure chance ..
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook