Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Starbuzz smokers - questions

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Starbuzz smokers - questions

Is it just me or does Starbuzz seem alot more senative to heat than many other brands? At first I thought it was the coals I was using (Goldens), but I went and got some more Japanese tabs and I'm getting the same trouble.

After 45-55mins, the shisha is basiclly burnt. In order to contiune I have to remove the foil, scrape away the burnt stuff and either "toss" the remaining shisha or add more. I don't have to do this with any other brand but Hookah-Hookah.

I'm using:
1 (33m) Golden - tried both broken and whole, on the outside edge.
2 squares of Japanese Silver tabs, also on outside edge.
The bowls have been standard clay, mini clay (holds like 10-15g) or glass.
Filled the bowl lightly - left space between the shisha and the cover (foil/screen).
Tried foil, glass screen and metal screen.

ALL with the same result. After 45-55 mins, I have to remove and toss the shisha.

For such a "premuim" shisha, I'm really disappointed in Starbuzz. The cut is lousy, more stems than AW, and seems heat senative. I'm glad people have given me samples as I'm now very relucant to spend good money on this shisha.

I'll give them props for the smoke and taste (mostly - chocolate mint is weak), but Layalina, Al Fakher and Fusion will do the same at 50-30% the price tag.

Anybody else noticed this or am I just losing my ablity to smoke right (in my avanced old age - LOL)
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Starbuzz smokers - questions

I quite smoking SB about a year ago (it was never a common choice for me) and I noticed that yes, it does require less heat then a lot of shisha. Try using less coals or go with a bowl that has more uniform heat distribution. Frankly, I always felt that SB flavours taste artificial and I think that the prices are simply too high.
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I've been smoking the stuff since before you could buy it.

I posted a review long ago, elsewhere, basically it was a scientific experiment.... I "torture tested" SB.

At high heat, bowls ran well up until around 45-50 minutes.... but until then, I couldnt scorch it unless I overpacked.

The thing with SB is that "less is more" seems to be the key. Use the tobacco sparingly and fleck in the the tobacco nice and loose into the bowl.... then work the distribution around with a toothpick.

As for coals. I break a 33mm into 4 pieces and use 3 pieces to kick things off... I arrange them in the 10....2... and 6 o'clock positions.
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I think I am going to try Lake's method on this, cuz I have been having a little trouble with getting SB to last for longer than 40 minutes? And with the price of SB, I like the "less is more" idea! lol
I still have some Irish Cream, and think I may have a sample of some Blueberry on the way, so I will try this technique on those..thxs Lake!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Das_messiah
Hookah Newbie

I believe I got starbuzz to last for about 2 hours. I would start it as I started a movie and it finished at the end or near it. Less heat deffinately I used 2 quick like squares, not the round ones. and would move them around a lot. It seems to work just fine for me.
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:04 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Just a thought, but how long ago did both you (lake and Das) smoke it - maybe the older batches weren't as "touchy".

I use 2 squares, balanced half on the egdes. It still burns it - plus my bowls are never full. I'll try underpacking it even more next time.
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

well.. the last batch I bought... which Im still working on is around 2 months since I bought it...

I dont really notice anything in the way of performance with it than the others over the last couple years.

I do notice more stems now than I did when it first came out... the stuff was damn near stemless back then.
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I thought the amount of stems was freaking high considering the "quality" of the brand. Al Waha has less stems - LOL! Well, if yours is less than 2 monthish - It's probably me or something I'm doing wrong. Blarg it all!

Guess I'll take a break from SB and enjoy my new AF... mummmm..... mango
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook