Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

sticks or regular charcoals?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 25th, 2008, 12:37 AM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

Question sticks or regular charcoals?

I was wondering wich kind of coals has worked for you better the stick or the regular ones!? Pesonally the regular quick-fire coals has worked great for me but honestly I just have tried the stick ones twice in my life.
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:56 AM
thekoukimonster
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: sticks or regular charcoals?

Personally, I love using the sticks because i can change the position of the coals alot easier and IMO theres a lower chance of the tobacco from getting too hot. The disc coals cover too much surface area IMO and just burns the crap out of my tobacco...
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:56 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Naturals are the way to go! I assure you, once you get your hands on some very good naturals, you will never go back to quicklights
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:12 AM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

Like I told you I tried a natural stick like twice it was a mess to light it but when it was on it worked really well... anyway I'll keep trying 'til I find something good to compare with the quicklights.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by patodrums View Post
Like I told you I tried a natural stick like twice it was a mess to light it but when it was on it worked really well... anyway I'll keep trying 'til I find something good to compare with the quicklights.
heh I know I meant you buying a whole kilo of them :P

I'd say exoticas or maybe coconaras (but their hella expensive imo)

They are a lil annoying to light at first but after a while, you get used to them. My exoticas take maybe 5-6 to light and I set up the hookah while I wait so that way, it won't seem too long
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:30 AM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
heh I know I meant you buying a whole kilo of them :P

I'd say exoticas or maybe coconaras (but their hella expensive imo)

They are a lil annoying to light at first but after a while, you get used to them. My exoticas take maybe 5-6 to light and I set up the hookah while I wait so that way, it won't seem too long
You're right maybe if I leave it in the stove lightning while I clean and set the hookah I won't notice the time. The brand you mentioned me are going to be difficult to find but aswell I'll try to find them. Thx for you help you've been helping a lot today dude!
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:14 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

If you are bent on staying with quicklights go with some 3 kings or golden quicklights. I actually enjoy using some 3 kings quicklights from time to time. If you let em ash over properly they are a damn good coal. Most of the time I use my exoticas. Sure they take longer to cook, and you gotta score em but big deal right? They burn forever. They are also cost effective
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:37 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypzlast View Post
If you are bent on staying with quicklights go with some 3 kings or golden quicklights. I actually enjoy using some 3 kings quicklights from time to time. If you let em ash over properly they are a damn good coal. Most of the time I use my exoticas. Sure they take longer to cook, and you gotta score em but big deal right? They burn forever. They are also cost effective
I agree about how awesome they last forever!

Imo I hate ALL qls pleh. I used to smoke with QLs until I bought naturals...I couldn't believe on how much flavor I was missing out on.

3K is an okay coal, but its so expensive for what its worth. They taste nasty after a while to me. I've tried goldens, but I hear they are WAY better than 3k
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:46 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
I agree about how awesome they last forever!

Imo I hate ALL qls pleh. I used to smoke with QLs until I bought naturals...I couldn't believe on how much flavor I was missing out on.

3K is an okay coal, but its so expensive for what its worth. They taste nasty after a while to me. I've tried goldens, but I hear they are WAY better than 3k
I don't see what people say when they are like. "Oh it has the chemical taste" 3kings do not have a taste if you let them ash properly. I think we got ourselvs a placebo effect going on here. I love 3 kings. Will use them willingly if I am on the go. No need to bring my burner with me, cause I got some QL's!
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:47 AM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

I usually buy 3k they are cheap like 4 bucks the roll with 10 coals... they work pretty well the small size is very easy to handle and the big ones I just break them to handle the heat properly.
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypzlast View Post
I don't see what people say when they are like. "Oh it has the chemical taste" 3kings do not have a taste if you let them ash properly. I think we got ourselvs a placebo effect going on here. I love 3 kings. Will use them willingly if I am on the go. No need to bring my burner with me, cause I got some QL's!
Idk it does to me even if it is ash over and glowing. I think its cuz I've been smoking with naturals for a long time and that I'm so used to clean and tasy smoke lol. Last time I tried them was 2 months ago and prior to that...I was smoking naturals for 3 months straight

I mean its not like a "chemical taste" its this weird aftertaste I get that is really hard to explain.
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:58 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

Just don't ever use rolland quicks. There's a reason they give them away for free.
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:59 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Idk it does to me even if it is ash over and glowing. I think its cuz I've been smoking with naturals for a long time and that I'm so used to clean and tasy smoke lol. Last time I tried them was 2 months ago and prior to that...I was smoking naturals for 3 months straight

I mean its not like a "chemical taste" its this weird aftertaste I get that is really hard to explain.
My ratio of Ql's to nats is 1 roll of quicklights to about 6 or 7 kg's of exotica. So I am quite familer wtih tasty smoke. I don't know then, perhaps I just don't have the pallet you do.
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraaiKar View Post
Just don't ever use rolland quicks. There's a reason they give them away for free.
Haha exactly! There is another reason why they sell they for $1.

I can't believe the owner of the shop near my school said that they were "very good coals" and he said he sells them for like $1.

They have to be the most crappiest qls in the market to date
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:06 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

Yeah I got four rolls for free when I bought my first hookah. At the time I thought they were the shit, and that having nauseous headaches was normal. And only getting flavor for about three hits. And not getting but a few wisps of smoke. And that the damn coals wouldn't even light properly. Yeah ok they basically suck.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

Well I had that problem with some bad quicklights I used to use but now I use 3 kings and they work pretty well actually but I'm going to buy some sticks and see how they work.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Ah the old fight - Naturals (sticks) verses Quicklights (rounds). Each has their pros and cons, each has good brands and bad. It's all down to the person using them.

Some like the fast turn around of QL's, the ease and quickness, even if there may be downfalls (messier ash, shorter time, sometimes a taste/smell).

Other prefer the Natural, even though it can be longer (and messier) to cook, they enjoy the lack of taste/smell and the longer session/strong heat they can provide.

Myself - I would go natural all the way, given the time and place. But I do find QL's helpful in certain places (outside and at parties).

(then throw in coals like coconaras and JST's)
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
ThatTrevorGuy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ThatTrevorGuy

Natural coals are amazing. I honestly can't stand QL's and only tolerate them when im hookahing at my friends house who lives about 20 miles away from a smoke shop and I don't want to make a trip up their for some natural coals haha.
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

guys you're really convincing me about the naturals I'm really going to try them this weekend I hope they don't let me down haha thx a lot
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Make sure they are fully lit, they won't let you down we wouldn't let you down ..

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM
ThatTrevorGuy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ThatTrevorGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Make sure they are fully lit, they won't let you down we wouldn't let you down ..

Cheers!
Yeah make sure to listen to Sambooka. You're going to wanna make sure the coals are fulling lit (red) and make sure no black is left on it.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:08 PM
PhilipHand
Hookah Nut

I use three kings, but wouldn't use rolland if you paid me! I plan on buying a box of exoticas or coconaras with my next big online order.
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

yeahh exotica are nice.. deff give them a shot.. i use them and they work great.. jsut make sure fully lit and ashed well adn you will have a great smoke..
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:29 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

Between exoticas and cocos I really couldn't tell you which one is better. Except that ******* hookah carries exoticas and that's the only place I'll buy from. Coco's are nice though because they're all precut into perfect size little squares, and they ash beautifully, and last just as long.
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:54 AM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

wow I didn't know they have to be completly lit really I feel like a noob sometimes but I'll give them a shot if sambooka and almost all of you guys do it that way, that must be for something! thx a lot
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook