Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Exoticas - Not getting hot enough?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM
mack65401
Hookah Newbie

Default Exoticas - Not getting hot enough?

Hello everyone,
I just bought a single coil burner from Walgreens and a kilo box of exoticas online. I have been experimenting with the coals and I agree with everything regarding how clean they burn and not alter the taste, etc. etc.

My problem is though, they seem to loose all of their heat after about 20 minutes and the smoke gets thinner and thinner unless I start using a windcover to trap the heat. I have also heard people say that they last forever but in my case they seem to last for about 45 mins max.

My setup is a 26 inch no name Egyptian, with absolutely no leaks, a small funnel bowl and usually tangiers or al fakher tobacco. I use 3 quarter pieces on the bowl once they are red hot all over and usually smoke inside so no heat is lost due to air currents etc. I was wondering whether I was doing something wrong or if you have any suggestions... Thanks in advance.
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited by mack65401; May 5th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:09 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Re: Exoticas - Not getting hot enough?

exoticas have been iffy lately. I use coco naras because of that. I'd rather spend more money on something that works 100% than take a chance and watch exoticas crumble and fail.

Old June 25th, 2008, 10:09 AM
wtp_J
Hookah Nut

That seems pretty strange. I use exotica's as well and 3 pieces produce massive smoke for an hour, without a windcover. If your setting everything up It might just be your rig, but let some of the more experienced members throw in their 2 cents.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
exoticas have been iffy lately. I use coco naras because of that. I'd rather spend more money on something that works 100% than take a chance and watch exoticas crumble and fail.

exactly why I hate exoticas too. I mean really coco-naras aren't THAT much more expensive than exoticas, but it sucks knowing that you are paying a premium price for exoticas, and you might get CRAP.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

You have the crap Exoticas. I bet they feel pretty light and chip often when cutting them?
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
golemjk
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to golemjk

I use exoticas all the time. You have to trun the exoticas every 12-15 minutes because the side that is down loses its heat. If you turn ash them and turn them, they are great. I have had problems with a few sticks but overall they are extremely reliable. I use 2/3 of a stick and it lasts a little over an hour on my phunnel.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

i use exoticas they work great all you have to do is turn and ash them every1 10 -15 minutes and they work fine..
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:29 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

You have to move all coals around to keep the heat up, but what i have experienced with Exoticas is total heat loss - the coals turn black on the top without the windcover over them.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
You have the crap Exoticas. I bet they feel pretty light and chip often when cutting them?
not really, but they do get massive cracks from just lighting them
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yeah those suck, the cracks i get always go right through and split the coal. I think alot of this is based off the humidity of peoples climates.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Yeah those suck, the cracks i get always go right through and split the coal. I think alot of this is based off the humidity of peoples climates.
that may be but for the price, its unacceptable.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yeah, see it's 14% humidity here, and 60-70% in California, which is where alot of people love Exoticas. I know there are exceptions like Dunkel, but his humidity is at 40%. See, where i live, the coals have to push out a ton of moisture. So I htink that's why they crack when lighting.
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

I live in CA and I hate exoticas
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

OK I am going to throw in my two cents ...
... I use Exoticas quite frequently, and I have no problems with them. I actually really like them as a coal, they are pretty consistent with the heat and last at least 45 minutes, throw on a windcover and you can get another 10-15 minutes out of them. I have gone through numerous boxes without any problems. Overall I really like thesxe coals. Check out my review, it is a straight up review with video of these coals. Yeah on occasion one may split in half or even chip when cutting, but all in all I will continue to use these natural coals cuz they don't roll around on my bowl and provide the heat I am looking for at an affordable cost.

... and as far as humidity goes, I live in Florida, and it can get VERY humid here! Still no problems!

Cheers!

Exotica Review: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/vbtub...=tube&tubeid=7

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
mack65401
Hookah Newbie

Thank you for the replies... I live in Missouri and humidity here is very high also. I keep the coals in a ziplock bag which sits in a cabinet in an air conditioned room. I guess I just lucked on a bad batch or something , I will update you guys when I get my next box in.
________
THE CIGAR BOSS

Last edited by mack65401; May 5th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

My exoticas crack and split but so what? It is no big deal seriously.....I don't see how people can complain over an issue that small. For example I light my exotica and I go to ash it it cracks in 2 pieces. OMG END OF THE WORLD? Not even close. I put both of the pieces back on the bowl and what do you know I still have heat to my bowl. I don't see what all the hype is about coconara. I would rather stay with the only nat coal I have ever used, as it gets the job done. Some cracks won't deter me from getting heat on my bowl.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Honestly I have never had any trouble exoticas and i've gone through something like a case of them. Occasionally they crack but that is not an issue so much as just a little more work with heat management. Losing heat after just 20 minutes most likely means that the coals were never fully lit. When heating them on the coil wait a good 2-3 minutes per side before flipping them and be sure to heat three sides before using or four if you still have trouble. Like any other coal be sure to rotate around the bowl every 2-5 minutes depending upon what you smoke and very gently tamp/scape to get off the ash off every 5-10 minutes depending upon wind and how much heat you want.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I think that these coals got a bad wrap because of some ill intentions. Anyway, it really doesn't matter what I say, but I will at least voice my opinion and say that I do use these quite frequently, and Hajo is an avid smoker as well and hit the nail on the head, you need to make sure that they are FULLY LIT! They should be GLOWING red hot .. then let them ash over a little and they will be good to go!

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM
ThatTrevorGuy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ThatTrevorGuy

I just used 3/4ths of exoticas today actually and the large egyptian bowl lasted me around an hour. I assume you have the bad batch. No worries man we all get a few bad batches of something every now and then.
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:14 PM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

I haven't try the exoticas neither the coconaras but I've hear good things about the exoticas and as I been reading almost all the people like them so maybe bad batch.
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:15 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

That is very odd. I have been using exoticas for the past 6 months and I have never gone through that.

Where did you purchase these exoticas?
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

I have never had exoticas lose heat myself, they are a great coal.

Follow Hajo's and Samb's advice. When you are 100 percent positive that your coals are glowing red hot lit. Then they lose heat. You got yourself a problem. Hit us up with a update, I am curious to get to the bottom of this mystery!
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:02 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

You should let the coals sit for about 5 mins until the ash over b4 putting them on the bowl. See if that helps
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:59 PM
PhilipHand
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Yeah, see it's 14% humidity here, and 60-70% in California, which is where alot of people love Exoticas. I know there are exceptions like Dunkel, but his humidity is at 40%. See, where i live, the coals have to push out a ton of moisture. So I htink that's why they crack when lighting.
If humidity is an issue I'm in trouble! Louisiana is king of the hot and humid. Around eighty+ percent humidity all summer, which here is from may until september.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipHand View Post
If humidity is an issue I'm in trouble! Louisiana is king of the hot and humid. Around eighty+ percent humidity all summer, which here is from may until september.
What you can do, is try to get your hands on some silica packets. Or something similar to pick up the moisture for you. A nifty item that can be used for this and most likely availble at this very second is rice. Rice attracs moisture pretty well. We put it in our salt so it doesn't gather the moisture and clump up. Give it a shot, wouldn't hurt!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook