Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Pre-heating the bowl

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Gryphon
Hookah Nut

Default Pre-heating the bowl

A few nights ago, after "patiently" waiting for the coals to heat up the bowl and the resultant puffy clouds, (thanks Sambookah for the excellent setup tutorial), I pondered the idea of what would be a good way to expedite the start of a session. This is what I came up with.

Setup was a 32 inch egyptian, large bowl with the ring method, 1/2 Exotica coal broken in half, with windcover. Shisha used so far has been Hookah Hookah Chocolate, Cherry, 7 Spice, and Fantasia Apple Martini

Take a quart sized bowl with an inch of water in the bottom, and put it in the microwave. Heat for about a minute. The water needs to be steaming, not boiling. Start your coals as usual, then pack your bowl with the flavor of the night. Foil it off and finish prep for installation on the hookah. Gently place the bowl into the hot water. Continue setting up the vase and stem.

Using a potholder, put the bowl into place and add the coals. I noticed a sizzling sound when the coals were applied to the foil, a sign of the moisture on the underside. After a minutes wait, the hookah was good to go.

After trying this a few times, I found the initial smoke to have more flavor and be more mellow. Adding a bit of moisture to the bowl and heating from the bottom seems to prevent burning of the shisha on the foil, a good thing for us newbies.
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:00 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: Pre-heating the bowl

interesting! I'm gonna read this again tommorrow when I haven't had a bottle and a half of wine and put my 2 cents in!
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Uh explain clearly? Lol kinda confused!

So you put boiling hot water into the actual shisha? Not a good idea imo lol or maybe I read it wrong!
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

he got a bowl of water steaming hot and after he prepped the bowl he put the bowl in the water then put it on after he got the hookah ready, i like this idea actually, seems like you could mellow out harsh flavors this way
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try it, and probably boil off my finger trying but I'll do it anyway.
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:49 AM
patodrums
Hookah Nut

It sounds interesting something I have try later, so keep posting your results with this method people.
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
xsmokethisx
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to xsmokethisx Send a message via Skype™ to xsmokethisx

I'm going to try this one with my next bowl, nice idea man.
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:27 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

So, if I understand right, you are placing a packed bowl, with foil - into a small container of heated water.... BUT are you submerging the bowl enough to wet down the tobacco or is the water level low enough to avoid getting the tobacco wet, but allow the steam to dampen the tobacco.
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Martello
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Martello

This is kind of pointless, I don't think anyone around here has ever had to do it. What I'm wondering is why are you using the ring as well as a wind cover? Try 3/4 exotica or even 2/4 and try losing the windcover as well as the ring.

With 3/4 exotica on a large egyptian bowl, i have yet to burn anything. I used the ring for a while but that was when I used QLs that get a lot hotter then naturals.

This whole ordeal you're going though, seemslike it would take same amount of time between whatever it is ya doing and the 2 or 3 min it takes to heat a bowl.
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii View Post
So, if I understand right, you are placing a packed bowl, with foil - into a small container of heated water.... BUT are you submerging the bowl enough to wet down the tobacco or is the water level low enough to avoid getting the tobacco wet, but allow the steam to dampen the tobacco.
Yes, this is where I am confused? You wouldn't want to wet the tobacco, right!? Just the bowl?

Explain, so we can try this out!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
Uh explain clearly? Lol kinda confused!

So you put boiling hot water into the actual shisha? Not a good idea imo lol or maybe I read it wrong!
Clearly it is not a bad idea, because he said the smoke was more flavorful and was a tad bit mellow in comparison to his average smoke.

If I feel like experimentating (I'm lazy), and I think about it whilst I am preparing, I might give it a shot! That is alot of work for the benefits that you get. At least that is what it sounds like to me.

I am pretty much content with my tap water 1/3rd exotica on the bowl. Good flavor and good smoke content, but I can see how it might improve smoke quality and flavor.

Quote:

He says he takes a quart sized bowl with 1 inch of water in the bottom. Definitely not submerging the tobacco in any way. Unless of course he put it upside down which is unlikely. You put it in steaming water and it rises up through the bowl is what he is trying to say I think.

Last edited by larrypzlast; June 27th, 2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added some stuff
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Gryphon
Hookah Nut

Quote:

The water is not deep enough to reach the shisha. The idea was to get the initial bowl temperature up, not wet down the tobacco. I used hot water because I didn't want to apply direct heat to the clay bowl and risk cracking it from thermal shock. The moisture that rises up into the bowl is a result of the method and not the original intent.
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Gryphon
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martello View Post
This is kind of pointless, I don't think anyone around here has ever had to do it. What I'm wondering is why are you using the ring as well as a wind cover? Try 3/4 exotica or even 2/4 and try losing the windcover as well as the ring.

With 3/4 exotica on a large egyptian bowl, i have yet to burn anything. I used the ring for a while but that was when I used QLs that get a lot hotter then naturals.

This whole ordeal you're going though, seemslike it would take same amount of time between whatever it is ya doing and the 2 or 3 min it takes to heat a bowl.
I'm using the ring method to keep from burning the shisha onto the foil. The windcover is used because I use my hookah outdoors. But mostly, I'm doing what I'm doing 'cause I'm experimenting
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

could you achieve the same results by microwaving the packed bowl (less foil) for a few seconds?
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
hotcloak
Hookah Nut

it didnt work for me, i tried without holes and with holes, underside down and right side up...i just got thin smoke
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook