Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

First Time Stupidity

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default First Time Stupidity

First Time Stupidity

Using a narghile is not exactly intuitive (at least not for most Occidentals) and often the first attempt doesn’t work out too well.

Years ago I was in Damascus looking over the instillation of some bottling equipment at a plant and lost my pouch of Latakia so I spent some time wondering around looking for a pipe shop. I wondered into a shop and found a bunch of older men smoking narghile which I had seen before but never used.

I ask the guy at the counter if he spoke English and he said he did so I ask him what tobacco he could recommend and he gave me a box of Al Waha Bahraini. I thought it smelled great so I opened it and I was wondering what this red, liquid like stuff was. Not wanting to look stupid by asking how to use this strange goo I scooped out some with my fingers and plopped it right into my Peterson’s Calabash and worked like crazy to light it with my Zippo.

Everyone in the shop stopped, watched me closely and burst out laughing. Undeterred I keep tamping, loosening and trying to get the stuff to burn to howls of laughter from the patrons.

Embarrassed, I left the shop quickly throwing the Al Waha in the trash and emptying my pipe a block or so away.

When I explained to a guy I was working with what happened he laughed and showed me how to use mu'essel latter that evening at a café he liked. Thus started a long, beautiful relationship between narghiles and myself.

Anyone got a stupid a stupid story about your first smoke?
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Default Re: First Time Stupidity

That's rich, sir. Haha...btw you have a calabash pipe? Those are wonderful. I have a nice italian briar...anyway...

My first smoke was with my friend and his middle-eastern roommates; so it went rather smoothly.
But I just had to post, this story was great
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Man, love the story!

Mine involved my BF, 2 apple nakhla and his silly butt accidently taking the wrong dosage of cold medicine.... about 5 times the correct amount, which kicked in just about the same time we started smoking our very first hookah for the very first time...

To say he scaried about 5 years off my life is an understatement!
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

LOL.. Ive tried the same thing.... but not with a good pipe like that. Doesnt work work at all does it? Bet that left a nasty "ghost".

When I got my first hookah, I tried to smoke it by using the flame of a lighter to "get it going". I was completely unaware of the use of coals.
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

I discovered hookahs in private. A while ago (year or two maybe) I purchased a hookah and some herbal shisha off ebay. After a few strokes of nasty arse soex grass clippings I stopped for a while. About 5 months ago I found out about a shop in town that had cigars, went there and found shisha. Since then I've been blowing out the good stuff
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:23 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Lol wow what a beginning. But did you end up putting the pipe down for the hookah?

Mine happened about a year ago..i was in high school and my friends were showing me pics of him blowing smoke .. i was like damn what is that he was like hookah and i said whats the .. then he explained and he was like "its like smoking alcohol" i was like what no its not.. then one night we all decided to go to the hookah place and ever since then its been great.
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:13 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

my buddy had a hookah and used it for the wrong stuff and i was like wait lets go to the local tobacy shop and get some wet tobacco and we tried lighting it with a lighter but then we used rocks and that produced the good stuff and then i found hookah forum and now its been bliss ever since.
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Some cool stories here but sammniamii's sounds pretty scary so i'm glad it didn't happen to me and sorry it happened to her BF.

I have not given up on Western pipes but I use them a lot less then I used to. I still like cigars and have one once a week or so.

Narghiles are for people who like the ritual of the setup and all the tweaking and tuning that you need to do to get everything going. Narghiles are for people that enjoying thinking and chatting and see those things as activities as worth while enough that they don't need movies, drinks and parties to be entertained. That's what I like about it.

Now, if someone could open up an old fashioned Arabic style smoking lounge with good Turkic coffee and traditional music the world would be a little better off.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook