Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The Witch

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 20th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Witch

Anyone recall the thread about the hookah hobo? The 65$ portable rig with no ashtray, bottle or way to keep the coal in place but a really short stem for extra hot smoke? Well I got something free with an order from www.thehookah.com called "The Witch" which is basically the same thing but it has an ashtray and some rubbery base thing to hold a bottle in. I'll try it out and report back to you guys about it but looking it over i'd say it's best feature is that it's free.
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: The Witch

Free is always nice! Take some pics with the bottle/base/vase or whatever ya try it in. I have always wanted to make a hookah out of a Patrón bottle!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I'd personally like to know if this thing has a screw on downstem that I could get a few different lengths of tubing that I could thread up to make different bottles perform better....

Old July 21st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I'll put up some picture for Sambooka when I get the chance tonight. I don't have any Patrón bottles but I used a La Trappe XXXX bottle as it was what I had laying around.

Lake, you can forget using the downstem for anything else as it is threaded on one end (the top) so it won't work for that.

I haven't had the chance to use the thing yet but I do have a couple of observations:

1) Everything is gasketed and fits well except the bowl which doesn't keep everything from being air tight. This is better then expected.
2) the hose has a nasty chemical odor that is tough to get rid of.
3) all the metal bits save part of the purge valve that screw off are stainless steel.
4) the down stem is very narrow so I doubt that it will pull well
5) the instruction sheet is almost worthless

Once I try it out i'll write up something more substantial.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:40 AM
hobohookah
Vendor

Just to clarify, I tried out the Witch and it is definitely not stainless steel. It would be about twice as heavy if it was. It looks to be 100% aluminum.

I also got the chemical taste, even without the hose it comes with (the rubber they use has a terrible smell, so even the grommets affect the taste of the smoke).

Just as a disclaimer, I am the proprietor for HoboHookah.com, so take this feedback with that in mind.
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I've looked over both - Hobo's and Witch... neither would be my first choice, but I will say the Hobo looks slightly better in quality.

But for the same price, I'll just purchase a normal hookah. Good idea, just not my cup o'tea, ya know. My .02 cents, dat's all.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobohookah
Just to clarify, I tried out the Witch and it is definitely not stainless steel. It would be about twice as heavy if it was. It looks to be 100% aluminum.

I also got the chemical taste, even without the hose it comes with (the rubber they use has a terrible smell, so even the grommets affect the taste of the smoke).

Just as a disclaimer, I am the proprietor for HoboHookah.com, so take this feedback with that in mind.
Thank you for the info HoboHookah ...

What is the Hobo Hookah made out of? What size bottles will it fit? Etc..?

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

It looks like the Hookah Hobo will fit just about any bottle and it does seem to have better construction then the witch. Still, I have no idea how good it is in terms of what it promises but at $65 i'm not sure it matters. It seems to me that the whole concept is stupid but i'd love to hear what someone that has used the thing thinks.
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

The HoboHookah's body is a solid piece of aluminum with a removable, interior tube that's made of stainless steel. Technically the Hobo doesn't use rubber, but rather plastic composites, which don't have a smell of their own and can withstand temperatures over 220 degrees F. The HoboHookah is enitrely dishwasher safe and built for durability in almost every situation.

As for the types of bottles, it will fit on a bottle with anything from 1.25 to 1.5 inches in diameter, which means most liquor bottles, nalgene narrow mouth bottles, and plastic soda bottles. It wont fit on beer bottles like the Witch, which with the wide availability of larger bottles which work better as hookah vases anyways, we didn't feel it was necessary. It will also fit on some regular hookah vases; it will fit on my MYA Diva vase, for instance.

As for the quality of smoke, Ive been smoking the HoboHookah pretty much exclusively for over a year now, and it is my favorite hookah. We are looking to setup some events in Boston, Chicago, NYC, DC, and Madison, WI in the next month, if anyone wants to try it out (or help us setup the launch events), send me a PM.

This is the Hobo on a Hypnotiq bottle. Thats a good looking hookah:
[img width=450 height=600]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1158/718252607_fd12d9c396_o.jpg[/img]
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

sounds interesting. Definitely an impressive pic
is there any posibility of incorporating a tray of some sort?

If you ever want to send me a freebie, I'd be glad to give it a test run and give it a good review. From the looks, it smokes pretty well. :P
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:33 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

I should throw up a tray pic..give me a couple days, Im on the road right now. But the Hobo can use a standard tray that you buy at Hookah-Shisha, or probably any tray you have laying around. There are two ways to add a tray to your Hobo, top side or bottom side. You can put it above the body (like a regular shisha) or under the body (so the hose is actually above the tray). The tray only looks good on tall bottles, and definitely cuts out some of the transportability of the pipe. When in a transport situation its better just to build the crown on top with the tin foil.
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Hello HH, nice to have your comments and I hope you post here regularly as this place has some great people.

First let me say that I hope my blunt criticism of your product has not given offense or that my position seems unfounded. Clearly I an old school traditionalist when it comes to narghiles and I am not very open to "mod" takes on the hobby. Still, I must compliment you on doing something adventurous and wish you luck.

With regard to "The Witch" you should know that the down-stem is primarily made of stainless steel rather then aluminum. The gauge is thin and the construction not that great but it is better then I expected (which was total crap) so that is worth noting.

Honestly I do have some serious reservations about the viability of the concept you have chosen to market.

My first concern is the stability of the rig as beverage bottles simply are not well suited to supporting weight above them with hot coals. Secondly, Some sort of flexible adapter is needed to deal with tipping which is very much an issue with something designed for portability. Next, Any ashtray would need to have a way to prevent ash and hot embers from causing troubles. Another concern is that standard bowls are not suited to being moved around and honestly any rig that is meant to be moved about needs to have some way to keep the coals from moving.

As to the quality of the smoking experience I have to be honest and say that I sincerely doubt that something so small can give a reasonably cool, high quality smoke. Obviously, I don't expect your product to perform as well as a well made Syrian or Egyptian rig but I've been very unhappy with the smaller rigs like the Mya QTs. Also, your price of $65 seems very steep when I think of what that money can buy in terms of conventional rigs.

Old July 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I can't say much, cuz I haven't tried it yet. I would certainly give it a try though.

If you ever come to Jacksonville, let me know, cuz I would love to try it out! I may even like to volunteer at your booth, if you need some help.

Cheers!

Old July 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Although I love the idea of using a larger selection of bottles (I have a conac bottle w/ a lovely cat on it), I don't like these "transportable" hookahs.

I'm the clumsiest person alive - I would BURN the hell out of: myself, the carpet, anything around me and anyone near me. With no permanent tray or cover, it's a distater for my poor sorry self. As such, I would be terrified to try and use one of these.

Hookahs should be enjoyed, slowly and calmly. Running around w/ a hookah is basiclly turning it into a "fancy" ciggy. But, in a pinch or maybe traveling on vacation, I can see uses for these (Hobo's and Witch).

but... Perhaps it's my brain, but I don't see these hookahs used by people who enjoy the "art" of hookah, rather younger people looking for a quick and easy fun. And I can see the use of them wandering into areas that true Hookah'er wouldn't want assoicated with the hobbie...

My .04 cents

Old July 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
hobohookah
Vendor

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I have gotten a lot of feedback in regards to the look. It is non-traditional, and if a traditional style is the only main concern when picking a hookah, of course the Hobo is not the one to go for.

For your first concern around the use of beverage bottles, the witch, while using beer bottles or wine bottles, is very unstable, and thus you need the suction cup device in order for it not to tip over. The Hobo has a much lower center of gravity, so even on wine bottles it is considerably more stable; however, in a party situation or at home, it would make sense to use a larger rescepticle anyways. A 1.75L bottle filled half with water is very heavy, and is more volume than a typical hookah vase. Given the lower profile, the HoboHookah on a larger bottle is more stable than most larger hookahs. The Witch can't use these sizes of bottles.

As for the "transport, tray, hold the coals down" comments, honestly, we just build a crown with aluminum foil around the bowl (you can see this in most of our pics). Nothing fancier than that. As stated previously, you can add a tray (most standard trays will work) or you can add a mod bowl with the built in cover. We were going to add a cover, but they heat up too much and honestly, aren't as practicle as just building the crown around the bowl. The aluminum dissipated heat better, keeps the coal on the bowl and is easier to add additional coals.

Anyways, the quality aspect is something that will just have to come from trying it. When I first built a prototype, I was really surprised at how really well it smoked. Through experiementation, and in my opinion, the most important things for a good hookah are: Seal, quality of materials (especially over time), volume of reservoir and lastly height. My Hobo smoked a lot better than my 40" Egyptian hookah because my egyption hookah used crap materials and always had seal problems. Your right, that a really well made Egyptians hookah with all four of the above in spades will beat the Hobo in smoke quality, but the Hobo has the top three in spades, and that fourth "height" variable, in my opinion, comparing a Hobo to taller high quality hookahs, just isnt that important (a QT is not quality in my opinion). Also, which I think a lot of people over look, is that this thing is damn near indestructable. Which is nice if you absolutely always need a working hookah (or if you travel with it, checking a regular hookah at an airport is dicey).

Sammiamil: The purpose of the HoboHookah is to share the Hookah dream, with anyone, anywhere. Thats it. We wanted to make a smoke that will instantly convert first timers to hookah smoking (sadly the Witch seems to do the opposite). We also wanted something that people could actually take out of their homes and share with people they may have never met before, whether at the pub down the street or anyplace around the globe. Our hookah focuses on the inherent social aspects of the hookah. Thats whats important to us. I understand this isn't the way a lot of hookah affcionados look at hookah smoking.

I appologize for the long entry. Here are the picks I promised. This time I also used a Cloisonne hose and a standard Egyo bowl to show some of the versatility. The first pick is a tray I got at Hookah-Shisha.com sitting "top side" (Galliano Liquor 1L), second is the same tray sitting "bottom side" (not sure why anyone would do this, but its different; Corralejo Tequila 1L), and the final one is the Witch's tray sitting top side (Sailor Jerry Rum 1.75L).

[img width=450 height=600]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1252/906549288_c483cc33c9_o.jpg[/img]
[img width=450 height=600]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/906549310_4666cd60d2_o.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=600]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1439/906549380_3d10864c77_o.jpg[/img]
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

The only reason I stated my thoughts is I live in a "ghetto" area - hookahs are ALWAYS thought of "drug related devices", although slowly the public veiws are changing. Even saying you have one gets evil looks and the typically sneers.

Not dissing you or your product or the Witch, but I can see them becoming a non-tobacco device fast in my area. Not something you or myself would like to see.

For being a "johnny on the spot" hookah device - yes, it looks good - works and is verstile. Price runs alittle high, but yes - I can see it becoming a Colledge Hit in no time.
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Nice to heard from you HH,

You should know that I have obtained one of your rigs from a friend and I’ll have a review up tonight.

Reading what you have to say requires a response based upon my experiences. First I have been playing around with the witch by sticking it on different bottles and I’ve found that it can be stable if you use 1 3/4's litter liqueur bottles or litter plus wine bottles. Surprisingly, the thing does seal very well but I doubt it has the flexibility of your product.

As to the issue of the coals sliding around suppose making a big crown like you have from foil is an option but doing so requires a fair amount of foil and making one every time you use the thing strikes me as a hassle. Perhaps a bigger downside with the foil crown is that it does nothing to stop the coals from falling off the bowl but rather makes accidental burns less likely. Of course if your crown isn’t secured with electrical tape it has a pretty decent chance of coming of the stem.

You say that “the most important things for a good hookah are: Seal, quality of materials (especially over time), volume of reservoir and lastly height” and I can agree with you on that mostly.

I can’t say I find your comparison with traditional narghiles very convincing however.

As to stability of traditional narghiles I will say that poor quality rigs are made in Egypt and some of them are unstable. The junk peddled by Genuine Hookahs on ebay falls into this category although frankly I haven’t ever heard of stability problems with Egyptian rigs purchased from reputable vendors. In my experience, stability problems are far more common with miniature rigs and Chinese products that have “mod” bases that while colorful are poorly thought out.

As to height the truth is that very compact rigs give a poor quality smoking experience when compared with full sized rigs. I understand that a lot of people stick with miniature rigs because they are cheap and easy to store/move so a good basis of comparison for your product would be how it compares to various mini rigs on the market like the QT and the Bambino.

Your Egyptian sounds like a pretty bad rig yet I am not sure how good an idea it is to use it as base of comparison. Instead, if you wish to compare your product to full sized rigs in terms of smoking performance a single, poorly made Egyptian that never sealed well is a bad comparison no matter the height. Instead, it seems better to compare your product’s performance with what sort of Egyptian or Syrian rigs $65 can buy. I bought an excellent brass core Syrian for $65 so I think you’ll have some real competition at the price point you’ve chosen.

Of course, a traditionalist like myself is not your targeted market but a lot of quality rigs can be had for what you’re trying to sell the Hookah Hobo for so you’ve got your work cut out for you.
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:59 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

You got your hands on a HoboHookah? hmm...They haven't shipped yet. Unless you have a prototype rig, in which case, your friends must be some of my friends...

We are shipping HoboHookahs on August 3rd. Only two people will have them before then, due to events they are attending.

Regardless, Im very excited to get them out there so people can know where they stand on build and smoking quality. The nice thing about a Hobo is that once you try one, you know that if you buy one, you will be getting that exact same hookah, look, quality and all. Its very hard to do this if you, say, wanted your friend's rig or a hookah that smoked like it.

PS The crown doesnt require any electrical tape, and they dont fall off. We have a couple videos on you tube demonstrating the crown construction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7kvSSnQL4
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I have to say is WOW.... I fell in love with the sailor jerry hobohookah. I love the sailorjerry bottle

As for the the product i am down with trying it out. I think they look cool. I see them being a major hit with college campuses especially since they always have liqour bottles hanging around to use and change the look

I think you are on to something. I like the style and though i love traditional hookahs, I wouldn't mind having one and testing out the rig myself. I think you've made something that a lot of people can enjoy and change out rather effortlessly when they get tired of looking at the same thing. Plus I dont mind going out and buying another bottle of liqour... hey hun it's for the HOOKAH!!! LOL

Glad to see you posting and hope you stick around I was delighted to see your comments and pictures Hope all is well for you in the future when the products drop.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobohookah
You got your hands on a HoboHookah? hmm...They haven't shipped yet. Unless you have a prototype rig, in which case, your friends must be some of my friends...

We are shipping HoboHookahs on August 3rd. Only two people will have them before then, due to events they are attending.

Regardless, Im very excited to get them out there so people can know where they stand on build and smoking quality. The nice thing about a Hobo is that once you try one, you know that if you buy one, you will be getting that exact same hookah, look, quality and all. Its very hard to do this if you, say, wanted your friend's rig or a hookah that smoked like it.

PS The crown doesnt require any electrical tape, and they dont fall off. We have a couple videos on you tube demonstrating the crown construction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7kvSSnQL4
This is the downside of trying to cook and and type the same time.

I'm afraid I screwed up in that I seemed to have misunderstood my friend Atiff who said he'd be bringing it over this evening. I am not sure how I got things so wrong but I did. What he actually said is that he plans on order one tonight. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, thanks for the video, I will check it out shortly.

In any case glad to have you hear HH
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Now if I can just find a 1.75ml Patrón bottle!

Let me know if you are ever in Jacksonville, and need some help at a show/booth.

Cheers!

Old July 27th, 2007, 09:47 AM
hobohookah
Vendor

Thanks for the offer Sam. Not sure if we will be in Jacksonville. I think if we hit Florida will do Florida State and University of Florida....although, the World's Larges Cocktail Party is in Jacksonville right?

As for the Patron bottle, sadly the HoboHookah as is wont work with it. The stem is too long. In a month or two we will be offering different stem lengths that you can interchange with the stock one, then the 1.75L Patron should be good to go (note: that with the patron bottle, the hobo actually slides INTO the month, as opposed to outside the month as with most bottles. Works all the same though). Alternatively, you can find your own stem, you need something in the neighborhood of a 5/16inch outer diameter stainless steel pipe. You can find pipe all over the internet.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook