Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

PROS / CONS

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 5th, 2008, 02:38 AM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

Default PROS / CONS

Hello everyone,

I am going to be buying a new hookah sometime soon I think and I wanted to get your opinions on a few different brands.

Please if you have time, post your pros and cons about Syrians, MYAs, KM, and any other big name brands if you could...

Thanks!
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: PROS / CONS

PROS
Syrians: Beautifully made. Very heavy looking hookahs and most of them are made of brass (which means they will last you for a long time)

MYAs: There are some beautifully made models. Great designs and details on their hookahs. The small travel hookahs are the best ones on the market

KMs: Very traditional and good looking hookahs. Purge and draw are amazingly effortless.

MZs! hehe: Purges and smoke effortlessly like the KM. WAYYY CHeaper than all of these choices and its still a traditional egyptian hookah

CONS:

Syrians: The only one I can think of is that they are more expensive than the other choices.

MYAs : Way too expensive for what it is worth. Purge and pull isn't as easy as the other choices

KMs: Jar (vase) quality has gone down immensely to a point that paint starts to come off after a while (Eric, the maker of Tangiers said so himself). Also, the NEW KM hoses are known to be having some quality issues.

MZs: Not as much of a design on the vases like the other choices.
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Syrians- Pros: They are more decorative than most other hookahs, most are made of brass which is heavy and last forever.

Syrians- Cons: Most are more expensive, and most of them are common chambered (except for the Nour Syrians John at CH carries) so they don't purge well and don't draw as well as a standard chamber.

KMs- Pros: Most are very nice looking, they hit and purge well, and they are one of the best reviewed hookahs by folks that own them.

KMs- Cons: Their welds aren't as clean as some other name brand hookahs are, they sell out fast so finding what you want could prove difficult, and you have to shop around to get a decent price (some vendors charge $30 or more for the same identical model that another vendor offers)

MYA- Pros: They are factory made so they are consistent, and if you are looking for a hookah that can become a multi hose when needed it's pretty much the only game in town.

MYA- Cons: They are made in China in factories (not handcrafted), they are way over priced, their have been quite a few reports about the vases being junk, and they are common chambered so they don't purge or hit as well as a standard chambered hookah.

MZs- Pros: They are attractive, welds are cleaner than most other hookahs, they hit and purge well, lots of different modelsand they are the least expensive and solidly made name brand hookah, and there are lots of models readily available from several vendors.

MZs- Cons: I had to drill welding slag out of my purge valve for it to operate correctly, and I have heard at least one person broke a vase dropping an ice cube in it.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Dunk's post should be made into a sticky. So many people ask "what's the best/whats better?" every week.

Old July 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

this is great information, maybe it should be made into a sticky!
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thesauce310

yeah this is like the 5th time someone asked this week about the best hookahs available haha we should make an official list of pros and cons like dunkels. the quality of KM hoses are fine but thing about the base is true, the designs on my base are starting wear off. and i did have some leaning problems with it also (but it was eventually fixed with water).
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Dunkels post > Jilly's

Nothing against you Jilly, but you are just re posting something someone else said on another forum. Eric from Tangiers makes a great product, BUT that does not make him the hookah god.
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenRex View Post
Dunkels post > Jilly's

Nothing against you Jilly, but you are just re posting something someone else said on another forum. Eric from Tangiers makes a great product, BUT that does not make him the hookah god.
Yes of course! Dunk is way more educated with this stuff than me, I've been only smoking hookah regularly for about a year.

Anyways Hehe never said that he was a God or something lmao. I just used that example since he's one of the reliable sources when it comes to hookahs

Not only that even before I heard that off of eric, many people were complaining about paint coming off of their new KM jars off of different forums and that the stems feel a lot lighter compared to the old ones. I have actually compared old kms to new ones and I can really see a big difference. Like the new ones are lighter but still durable but the old ones were pretty heavy and very durable. Not that its a prob, but it just feels like you won't get your money's worth I guess.

Not only that, I even saw some of the gold paint come off of my fifa pretty damn lame
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Thanks for the kind words y'all but that post was a combination of personal experience, reading thousands of postings and general chit chat overheard. It is by no means an official post of pros and cons, I was just trying to help out.
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

Dunkel = Hookah Lord muhahahaha
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Syrians- Pros: They are more decorative than most other hookahs, most are made of brass which is heavy and last forever.

Syrians- Cons: Most are more expensive, and most of them are common chambered (except for the Nour Syrians John at CH carries) so they don't purge well and don't draw as well as a standard chamber.
What is the difference between common chamber and standard chamber hookahs? Which chamber does a MYA Pyramid have? (newbie questions i know!!)
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:56 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

I will take pics, hold on

common chamber- purge valve and hose port share the same chamber or "heart"

standard - each port ( hose and purge) has its own hole

Last edited by 1stGenRex; July 5th, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenRex View Post
I will take pics, hold on

common chamber- purge valve and hose port share the same chamber or "heart"

standard - each port ( hose and purge) has its own hole
It seems like common chambers would be easier to purge if they share the same chamber, that is the way it is with my MYA although I have never tried a standard chamber hookah before i do not think...
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

It seems like if price was not the object in sight, people would rather have Syrians than they would KMs! Does anyone disagree with this?
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

no, the standard chamber purges better.... and I dont know if that is correct I think more ppl would rather have a sweet KM

but I have 3 KMs and 1 syrian I picked up in Iraq....
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwanderski View Post
It seems like if price was not the object in sight, people would rather have Syrians than they would KMs! Does anyone disagree with this?
If money was no object, the Syrain is brass and a standard chamber then I would get one in a heart beat.
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:45 PM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

in my experience the stand chamber (like KMs) purge a lot better, it completely clears the base. the common chamber (like my other egyptians [no names]) don't do that at all. and i think im starting to lean towards Syrians hearing from this community. but i still love my KM
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:35 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Syrians
pro's- very heavy, all brass, amazing design, smoke well, break down(some of them)
con's- short downstem sometimes, some of syrian head configurations.
KM's-
pro's- big, nice vase, smoke well
con's- relatively light, not brass, don't break down, sometimes vases are wobbly
Mya's
pros- up to four hoses, solid design, parts are easily replaceable, no weld marks, some are screw on, nice bases
con's-common chamber, not brass, some vases are very fragile.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook