Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Al Fakher's New Cut....

Hookah Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you like AF's new cut?
Love It 4 10.00%
Like It 17 42.50%
Hate It 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share

Old July 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Al Fakher's New Cut....

Well, I have been experimenting with the flavors of AF cut in the old style and cut in the new. The old style is a medium sized cut, similar to Starbuzz or Al Waha. The New cut is best described as small; think of it basically as a little bigger then minced, but in the same minced shape. Therefore, the new cut is fluffier.

What has happened in my experiences is just that, my experiences, yours would probably be different, better or worse, based on climate, weather, air quality, coal, heat, bowl style, or packing.

I have not been able to get a successful smoke from the new AF cut in ANY session that I have had.
I started using 3 CocoNara, as usual, but the tobacco burned right off the bat so I lowered the heat to 2 coals. This produced large clouds, and strong flavor, but there was a scratchy throat problem. This was with all 5 flavors. 3 people were all smoking from a KM Mash'al, from a Small Phunnel +Mod. The Mod was switched out to a new one, and the results were the same.
Just for kicks, we just decided to use 1 coal. This produced weak wispy smoke and medium flavor, but the scartchy throat problem was there.
For each bowl of each flavor, it took less then 5 minutes of Coal-on-Foil contact for the shisha to burn and taste burnt. More coal simply meant the harshness was less bearable.
The windcover was used normally, not at all, and the whole time, the tingle and quick burning was the same.
The second round of bowls we switched to Golden canary coals on a Nour Syrian, and the results were the same.

The conclusion was that it was impossible to smoke AF inside my house, inside my garage, and on my portch. I am basing this problem on the new cut.
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Al Fakher's New Cut....

UGh I hate this now!

I mean, sometimes out of a egyptian bowl, I can get a good smoke out of it.

Now, the tobacco clogs the holes and the pull is harder. Not only that, AF is OVERLY juicy, to a point it takes 15 minutes to get the smoke started

Idk wtf AF did to their tobacco, but they need to get back to how it used to be!
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Yep, I posted about this awhile back too. The new cut is awful. It's mushy and clogs the bowl holes. Folks say "Just put a few stems over the holes so they don't clog."
I don't put any stems in my bowl, period. I will never buy AF again, honestly.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

yeah I made a post about AFs new cut. I hate it because I only have a glazed mod bowl and the holes always get clogged up. It seems like you need a phunnel just to smoke it properly. AF is way too inconsistent for me now.I stopped buying al fakher and went back to starbuzz
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

i dont mind it at all i dont think its that bad yeah its a pain some times it clogs the holes but i been smoking with my phunnel lately so no big deall
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:11 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

to be honost i could care less about the cut for any brand shisha every shisha ive dealt with i can get to smoke great except some flavors just naturally suck that is flavor wise and what not but still i hardly no make that never have an oportunity were the cut of said shisha even comes into the equastion...
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

I'm okay with it, but I'd rather much like to smoke tobacco and not a red purée.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:39 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Fashow69- AF's new cut, don't know if you've seen it, but it makes me want to cry.
I have to resort to plugging up the holes with chopsticks before i pack so there's good airflow now. Even then, it's not as good as it should be.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:16 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I don't care for the new cut either. The new stuff is way too juicy and burns w/ the quickness and clogs up holes w/ the cut and juice.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I used to think it wasn't a big deal with AF's new cut...Until I got the grenadine.

AF is just not the same Idk WHY they wanted to change so many things in their tobacco when it was good in the first place
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
mgaffar
Hookah Nut

For me the smoke and flavour is still the same but now i get that scratchy/burning feeling in my throat when i pull, this wasnt the case with the old cut.
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

yeah i'm kinda getting that feeling with pipe flavor right now....but it's not too bad. I still prefer the old cut but oh well...

Old July 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

what are guys talking about i never had a bad session with af with tubs ranging from Aug 2006 to march 2008... Same consistent flavourfull long lasting sessions. The fact that i may not like some of the flavours has nothing to do with this. i always get a flavourfull session that lasts atleast 1 1/2 hour out of a small egyptian bowl.
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

Out of AF's new cut, I've only had 1 semi-harsh batch. I've had good experiences with Watermelon, Peach, Pipe, Grenadine, Orange, Cinammon, Vanilla, Berry, Mango, Lemon, and Strawberry. My semi-bad batch was Watermelon, which I only now use as a mixer. The second time I bought watermelon it was A-OK. Sometimes I layer the bottom of the bowl with a dryer shisha like Al Waha or Nakhla and put AF on top. The old cut might smoke a little better, but I don't mind the new cut all that much. I don't love it, like it, or hate it.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I compared the New Cut Watermelon to some of the Old Cut i had; the old cut had no scratchy feeling, the tobacco did not burn out in a minimal amount of time, there was no scartchy feeling ever throughout the session. The New Cut had a slightly sweeter flavor, but made my throat scratchy and burned too quickly to keep track of, let alone smoke.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

Interesting!!! What's the production dates for the "new cut?"
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I have new cut Watermelon from march.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

I'll go home and see what the dates of the newer AFs that I bought. Anyways, sorry to hear you are having problems with it. If you don't want to smoke it but don't want to trash it, i suggest using it as a mixer.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Kool, and I thought it was just me. I can get a decent smoke (but it turns harsher faster and easier than I've ever had AF do before) out of my MYA deep bowl, but that's about it. Even my trusted E bowl the stuff went harsh and I thought I was just getting careless w/ my heat management.

The new cut on AF is almost like it's ground, not chopped.... then it's beyond soaked in glycine crud.
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I don't notice any difference in how AF performs after the new cut but it is possible that some flavours have been affected. Personally, I prefer longer, rougher cuts as it makes packing easier. I suppose that maybe people will need to change how they pack AF? Still, given how wonderful (and cheap) Salloum and Desi Merli are how great all the new flavours are I don't see much point in smoking AF these days.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

I snagged a chipped bowl from work that looks a lot like the super-chief.

I will pack some Al Fakher tonight and reveal the truth within.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
ridah626
Hookah Newbie

i just packed a bowl of the new cut watermelon. it tastes great and all but omg some hits feel like its tickling my throat. i smoke tangiers almost on the regular and this sometimes gets more unbearable than tangiers!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Am i the onlyone NOT having any problems with the new cut?? My Al Fakher is defenatelly smaller than it used to be but it smokes perfectly. Huge Clouds, long lasting flavour without much heat managment.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridah626 View Post
i just packed a bowl of the new cut watermelon. it tastes great and all but omg some hits feel like its tickling my throat. i smoke tangiers almost on the regular and this sometimes gets more unbearable than tangiers!
Damn looks like Im not the only one experiencing the unbearable "tickle of the throat" with Al Fakher.

I have the same prob with AF Grenadine. I'm kinda scared to buy any more AF now Sucks because I know that they have come out with new flavs that I've been wanting to try
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
billyy
Hookah Nut

Oh noes!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook