Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

I want a larger Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 27th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default I want a larger Hookah

I have a Mya QT as my first, but am beginning to want a taller one to see the differences. I am hoping to win the donated one but do not have my hopes up hehe. What would you guys suggest? Whats the diff between a syrian and egyptian? suggestions?

Billy
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Default Re: I want a larger Hookah

how much are you looking to spend?

Old July 27th, 2007, 08:18 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Syrians and Egyptians are traditional hookahs. E's tend to be simpler than Syrians, but both can be heavy, well built hookahs. Mostly they are made of steel or sometimes brass (brass-cored), Syrians often have ornate designs on the stems. Old style Syrians have a different head/bowl style, but many of the more modern versions have the typical Eypgtian style (bowl sits onto the of top of stem, syrians sit into the stem)

I suggest a good Kahil Mammon, larger brass cored Egyptian style. Between 22-28" is a good size, larger isn't always better. KM's are proven hookahs and very reliable. Prices are good if you shop around.

Certain MYA's are also very nice, but they are considered more of a Modern style, and seem to be having "issues" as of late with their glass.
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I can make a recommendation. I had a QT, and I didn't like it at all! I ended up selling it, and I bought a 28" Amer Khalil Mamoon, and I LOVE this hookah! I highly recommend! Definitely the most bang for the buck! Traditional hookah, brass core, and smokes perfectly!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

I just picked up the large hookah from Al Fakher Online and highly recommend it. I'll post a fattie review when I'm not so lazy.
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

lol, cool David thanks.

Billy
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Hello HS, I look forward to hearing what you have to say here. When it comes to smoke quality height is extremely important in that shorter rigs tend to produce hotter, harsher smoke and give you more CO2. The flip side is that when I narghile gets to be too tall it becomes hard to get a decent draw. As a practical matter I have found that the ideal hight seems to be between roughly 67cm and 87cm. I have never been happy with the smoke quality from a rig under 62.5cm or over 92cm.

When you look for a narghile what you should be concerned with most of all is build quality. You will spend a lot on shisha and coals over the course of the next couple of years so it's a fool's economy to save money by buying cheaper rig. Don't think you'll find much, if anything, worth owning for less then $80.

As to Syrian and Egyptian narghiles I would say that on the whole Syrian stuff is better made and the issue of head style is not much of an issue at all. You do need something with a solid, thick brass core wrapped in stainless steel for longevity. In terms of brands for Egyptians El Ashrey and Kahil Mammon are both excellent. In terms of Syrians Arabica Sous is great and Hookahs etc has some good stuff as well. Drop me a line if need contact info for some good suppliers and who to stay away from. Avoid ebay and anything Chinese.
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:36 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe
I have a Mya QT as my first, but am beginning to want a taller one to see the differences. I am hoping to win the donated one but do not have my hopes up hehe. What would you guys suggest? Whats the diff between a syrian and egyptian? suggestions?

Billy
I'm on the same boat as you at the moment.. except i do love my mya but id like a big one for the traditional style. Also Id like to see how they compare. Check out nazarhookah.com he has some nice stuff in stock.
Good luck finding one
Old July 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Suggestions are all based on opinions on what that particular forum member has personally tried. Most members here only own 2-3 hookahs and wouldn't know the difference between one hookah or the other. Most people only go by whether it says "MYA" on the box.

Egyptians vs. Syrians. Tough...but personally, I'd go with a Syrian. Most people would say the same thing, but have no reason behind it. Syrians, as Sammi said, are usually solid brass with stainless steel plating. These will last a ton longer than Egyptians, which are usually stainless steel, tin, or aluminum. Another advantage to Syrians, some are able to completely disassemble, making it very easy to clean and put away in storeage or even take with you on trips. Egyptians are usually 1 long brass tube, decorated with 2-6 Stainless steel pieces welded together. They almost never are able to be disassembled. Also, because they are in fact almost always welded together, this leaves the ability for the welds to weaken and eventually fall apart. Syrians like I said are usually solid brass...1 large cast piece, or several smaller pieces that can screw on or off. Either way, the Syrian way is better. Syrians also tend to have thicker glass (the true Syrians) and usually these vases are much nicer and much more decorative. On top of all this, is the comparison of the "heart" of these hookahs.

The heart is where the smoke gets drawn from. The hose port and blow off is connected to the heart. At the bottom of the heart are holes. Holes for air being drawn, and holes for air being blow out. Syrians typically have 2 holes, just as Egyptians, but Nicer Syrians have 4 holes. More holes = more smoke = better sessions = better flavor. It all adds up. The Syrians I carry have 4 holes, and I must admit, they smoke better than any other hookahs I have ever sold/tried.

I hope this helped...
Thanks,
J & R Hookahs
Jimmy
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Wow, nice post Jimmy! Thanks for the info. Dont get me wrong, I love my Mya, it hits nice and is serving me well, I just want a taller Hookah for a cooler smoke so I can compare. Thanks for all the replies!

Billy
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

My friend Jimmy made a lot of good points and, for the most part, I agree with him. Glass quality is a big deal in that not only should the glass be thick but it should have uniform colour and no bubbles as those reduce the life of the glass.

Until my last move I owned something like 30 narghiles which were lost/destroyed due to the incompetence/stupidity of the haulage firm I used. A great many were irreplaceable antiques although a few were modern. While I would agree that for the most part Syrian stuff is better the best of what Egypt has to offer is excellent. I should also mention that Persian and Lebanese products are also quite good in general although the latter is very much like Syrian products. I have no experience with modern Turkish stuff save my one custom made item (which is great except that it's a bitch to clean) and no knowledge of Indian products.

Keep in mind the height issue as it really does effect smoke quality in a dramatic fashion.
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahETC
Suggestions are all based on opinions on what that particular forum member has personally tried. Most members here only own 2-3 hookahs and wouldn't know the difference between one hookah or the other. Most people only go by whether it says "MYA" on the box.

Egyptians vs. Syrians. Tough...but personally, I'd go with a Syrian. Most people would say the same thing, but have no reason behind it. Syrians, as Sammi said, are usually solid brass with stainless steel plating. These will last a ton longer than Egyptians, which are usually stainless steel, tin, or aluminum. Another advantage to Syrians, some are able to completely disassemble, making it very easy to clean and put away in storeage or even take with you on trips. Egyptians are usually 1 long brass tube, decorated with 2-6 Stainless steel pieces welded together. They almost never are able to be disassembled. Also, because they are in fact almost always welded together, this leaves the ability for the welds to weaken and eventually fall apart. Syrians like I said are usually solid brass...1 large cast piece, or several smaller pieces that can screw on or off. Either way, the Syrian way is better. Syrians also tend to have thicker glass (the true Syrians) and usually these vases are much nicer and much more decorative. On top of all this, is the comparison of the "heart" of these hookahs.

The heart is where the smoke gets drawn from. The hose port and blow off is connected to the heart. At the bottom of the heart are holes. Holes for air being drawn, and holes for air being blow out. Syrians typically have 2 holes, just as Egyptians, but Nicer Syrians have 4 holes. More holes = more smoke = better sessions = better flavor. It all adds up. The Syrians I carry have 4 holes, and I must admit, they smoke better than any other hookahs I have ever sold/tried.

I hope this helped...
Thanks,
J & R Hookahs
Jimmy
1) I own 4 functional hookahs, 5 if you count an old Eyp that has been retired.
2) Of the hookahs I own: 3 are Syrians - 1 Modern (1 was Eyp)
3) 1 Syrian (2-hose) completely dis-assembles down - has 4 holes on the heart. Really does smoke very well. The other two are soild 1 piece stems, with a brass core pipe, but only 2 heart holes. They are my "main" hookahs.
4) My very first Hookah was a "discount" Eyp style monster - 33" tall. Beat-up, worn out, corrided and ugly. And also heavy, well made stem that lasted me almost 3 years before leaks showed up (as well as a taste that could not be cleaned out).
5) my Small Modern Hookah does hit like a champ (when she behaves) - it was a cheap, chinese knock-off, but also works great.

My next hookah will be a Taller Eyp rig, most possibly a KM.

Everybody will have a different idea of what type of hookah is best: some love Eyp, some Syrians, other MYA's... and so on. The best thing is try and figure out what you are looking for: style, function, portability, ect....

My idea of the perfect hookah may not be anyone else's idea - I know people who LOVE MYA's so much, they won't consider smoking out of anythng else (why - I don't know). Since you already have a MYA, you need to think if you really enjoy it or want to try something different.

A Eyp or Syrain would be good, but another larger MYA may also be your best "friend" as well. Good luck in deiciding!
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Well a personal and not so objective aspect exists with narghile use and I understand that and see it as a good thing. While I can't imagine why anyone would want an aluminum rig made in China with a screw on pyrex bowl it's a fact that some people find real enjoyment in such a device and that is great. Obviously, I'd hope that such people would be willing to honestly try a traditional, quality made narghile but obviously this hobby is basically about aesthetics and so the traditional way will not be for everyone.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook