Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah lounges....another rant

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Hookah lounges....another rant

Last night got me thinking as I looked around the hookah lounge. This place is very small....max capacity is 35 people. There were maybe 50 in there last night. There's the main hall, a "private" room, and a room to the left. This lounge is fairly new, about 5-6 months old and owned by 2 young gents. Here's where it gets interesting. They have a great selection of tobacco...AF, SB, Nakhla, so on and so forth. They have mixes on the bottom of their menu....purple haze, kush, and whatnot. As I roll my eyes I catch a glance at the ceiling. It's one of those suspended ceilings with the tiles on it. People have painted them with slogans such as, "feed your head", "Expand your mind", and "what a long, strange trip it's been". So, after they bring the hookah over I notice the stem is like 4" into the water....great. They put the coals on, AF lemonwood, and a windcover. It surprisingly started smoking immediately(AF pipe). 15 minutes go by and the coals died. So, you gotta wait until someone comes by to ask for new coals. This happened 3 times that night. I get a chance to talk to the owners once in a while when i'm there. I showed them coco nara coals and a phunnel bowl which they had never seen. After having a chat and a hookah brought to us with SB citrus mist and my trusty coco naras(which didnt have to be moved/ashed AT ALL and smoked the entire time), some "belly dancers" showed up. A white, black, and asian chick....ok. So as they are setting up, I look around. The "private" room is filled with tool bag "gangsta" kids and their "ho's" having some bud light...obviously underage. Where my friends and I are sitting, is a bunch of what seems to be avid hookah smokers and chill folks. The last room was filled with princessy looking chicks, which caught me by surprise. As I further look into things, I notice maybe 1/4 of the people in the place are actually smoking. The fucking rap music being blasted from the speakers is getting on my last nerve. The belly dancers threw on some great arabic music and got to dancing....they sucked. After they finish, i've been there for about 3 hours. I get home and wonder what made us go there. My friend goes, "well, it's cool to go somewhere where they set everything up for you and you dont have to do anything"....sounds good right? Not at this place! Asking for coals 3 fucking times is NOT cool. Burying the damn stem 4" into the water is NOT cool. Having drug references around the place is NOT cool. I know you can't help what kind of people go to these places but it really irks me to see what happens in this lounge.

So to sum up my nonsensical rant,
1. Ditch the drug references
2. Curb underage drinkers before the whole place gets shut down
3. Get some real belly dancers
4. I don't want to hear wu tang clan while im fuckin smoking
5. Learn how to set up a hookah and do some research to make your "lounge" better. (didnt know what washed and unwashed was either)
6. Aaron, if you see this, sorry bro but I really can't stand your hookah lounge.

end rant.

Last edited by MrBungle; July 24th, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno
Default Re: Hookah lounges....another rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
4. I don't want to hear wu tang clan while im fuckin smoking
You had me until this was dropped.

What's wrong with the Wu?
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

when it's so loud you can't hear yourself think is where the problem kicks in..... and when the next song is Sean Paul it really gets you angry. anyways, they said they would sell me their tobacco for a little more than what they get it for. I told them I got a kilo of AF grape for around $40 and said they'd sell me a kilo for $30 flat, and i could mix and match 250g's if I wanted to.

Old July 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Good deal.
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:18 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

30 bucks is alright for a kilo, but i will never smoke at a lounge that has a urban setting. I like a place where you can meditate while smoking with a coffee shop surrounding.
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

well, if it was extremely loud its unjustified...but i love the wu, so i wouldn't mind that. sean paul...i would mind

Quote:
5. Learn how to set up a hookah and do some research to make your "lounge" better. (didnt know what washed and unwashed was either)
6. Aaron, if you see this, sorry bro but I really can't stand your hookah lounge.
made me laugh my ass off.
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakingkevin23 View Post
30 bucks is alright for a kilo, but i will never smoke at a lounge that has a urban setting. I like a place where you can meditate while smoking with a coffee shop surrounding.
I hear you on that one...I wish this place was like that. Would be funny to open up a lounge because I would absolutely crush them. I'd have some necro and ill bill rolling in there

Old July 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM
zbanu
Hookah Nut

i'm really interested in opening a decent lounge as there are a lot of places offering hookah, but not a decent one... wish I had the money to do so tho lol
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I hear you on that one...I wish this place was like that. Would be funny to open up a lounge because I would absolutely crush them. I'd have some necro and ill bill rolling in there
It all depends on the people. lol
Some of the non regular hookah smokers want to hear painful to the ear music all the time while smoking.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

thats basically how the "main" lounge is by school. but the hookah is even worse (not cleaned, cheap bad shisha, etc). the place i go to around home it is good shisha, decent coal service, and the music is pretty low and its normally alternative rock or a lighter-medium rock so i dig it, rarely rap. on sundays they do movie night, play 3 movies and have some specials, never been there for the movie night so not exactly sure how it works but i know a lot of people that enjoy it.

from what ive seen it seems to be theres 3 types of lounges, traditional and good, modern/progressive and good, and then just fad lounges and bad. the 2 lounges by my school that are bad are ran by middle eastern guys, the lounge here that is great is ran by a bunch of white kids so meh

-matt
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Captain Black
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Captain Black Send a message via MSN to Captain Black Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Black

Eh sounded like a bad experience.
Better luck next time....

(Although the Celing sounded reall cool(
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Feadother
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Feadother

Here in Indy, I only know of two lounges and I have only been to one. They both are located in Broad Ripple, which is a young section of town (by this I mean that a lot of college age people live there and what not). The lounges are also located in the cultural district of Broad Ripple. So they don’t really attract a lot of the “Gangster” type of people. They are also Authentic, by this I mean that the owners are from the middle east and they only play Arabian music and only serve Arabian food and teas. I really like going to that lounge. I have not been to the other one.
Now I have been to the one near Purdue University, and that one had crappy coal service, they did not even give you tongs for the coals. We had ordered the double apple, I am not sure on the brand, and it had the same taste as a stale cigar. So we left and I never went back to that Hookah bar.

Last edited by Feadother; July 24th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

whats wrong with wu-tang??
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Captain Black
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Captain Black Send a message via MSN to Captain Black Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Black

From Indiana I see.
I'm actually up from Whiting Indiana which is 2 hour drive from Indy, but we got a hookah cafe' up here and they play like real light accustic stuff and egyptian owned...
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Feadother
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Feadother

Cool, another "Hoosier" ((even tho I am a Boiler Maker LOL)).
The Hookah bar that I am talking about is the "The Egyptian".

(little off topic, but Captain Black, I like your choice of Avatar, I love Cowboy Bebop)
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Ugh that's horrible. The lounge I go to is no where near that and they seem traditional.

I can't believe an idiot would name mixes that are NHT references. Are they that desperate? bTW Thats so stupid how they have drug references on the ceiling too...Thank you Lounge owners for making it seem like that stupid stereotype that hookahs are for NHT seem even more "true".
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

I say we get sambooka and co to open a hookah lounge here in CA and have some of us members work it! it would definitely be the best in the biz!
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thesauce310

yes hp members would definitely make hookah lounges an infinite times better. and btw, what is wrong with the Wu? you not down for the wu-tang clan? haha just kidding, we all have our preferences. i prefer reggae when i smoke. we're all different
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesauce310 View Post
yes hp members would definitely make hookah lounges an infinite times better.
Yup Yup. There's only 2-3 lounges around me out of who knows how many that actually know what they are doing.

Idk know how most lounges can have hookahs when they know nothing about hookah. Its really retarded
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Johnny5
Hookah Newbie

That sounds terrible. I'm pretty new to Hookah and even I could offer better service/products than that. I can't believe they hadn't heard of Coconaras and phunnel bowls...

A HP lounge in CA would definitely be pretty awesome. It'd be the one place where employees actually knew what the fuck they were doing.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:51 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i like all kinds of music as most of you proabbaly do too. However, it seems like I listen to Arabic music exclusively when I smoke. After reading this post I'm going for a change. Not as far as listening to rap while I'm smoking, I'm not nuts.
My exoticas are lighting up now and I'm going to pack a bowl of SB Marlett. Wifey is making me a snack. I haven't picked my drink for the evening, maybe none, but music for tonight's occasion will be Pink Floyd Live Pulse Disc 1. Don't any of you try and stop me
Let's see if I can change my ways.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

I think thats fine. Floyd is very relaxing. that's what I like when smoking, nice relaxing music. I love to throw on some Ananda Shankar, Ustad Bismallah Kahn or Kamil Alipour.

Last edited by MrBungle; July 24th, 2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
kingboyb
Banned

I can appreciate Bungles rant. The other day at work, someone walked by my desk while I was looking at a hookah website and yelled "druggie"! I don't know whats worse, the sterotype that surrounds hookahs or the wannabe gangster thugs (unfortunately mostly of middle eastern decent, my wife is persian armenian so trust me on this one) that perpetuate it.
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

http://www.biankylounge.com/ look at the video...I can't imagine smoking there

Old July 25th, 2008, 12:26 AM
kingboyb
Banned

That place is teh suck.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook