Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Migraines

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 24th, 2008, 04:33 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj
Default Migraines

Ok, so I am relatively susceptible to migraines, I get them every so often, but until last week I hadn't had one in I have no idea how long.

Then comes my gf gone for the weekend. I Have a smoke out of her hookah (stainless steel) on Friday night, (After a session with some friends,) and then wake up Saturday morning with a head splitting migraine. My migraines tend to go away after a few hours (after I take Ibuprofin) so Saturday night, I decide to have another hookah. I again use the gf's hookah. Sunday morning, same thing. So basically my weekend has been ruined by migraines. My gf gets back adn requests I don't smoke for a few days since she just had her wisdom teeth out and is paranoid about dry socket. So I agree. Tuesday comes around, and she agrees to let me have a hookah if I smoke it in my little seperate area. This time I use my hookah (an egyptian), and wake up Wednesday with no migraine. Then last night, I use her stainless again, and this morning, sure enough I wake up with another migraine.

Does it at all make sense that the only variable in my getting migraines seems to be which hookah I use?

Anyone else have an issue with migraines from hookah?
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23
Default Re: Migraines

are you using the same coals? Make sure they are completely red hot. If that's not the case, try cleaning the one giving you migraines.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

is your egyptian brass? because if it looks metallic its probably stainless steel.
are you sure your gfs is even stainless steel and not galvanized steel or aluminum?

I get headaches if i smoke too much...i usually have to stop for a few weeks to a month and let my head rest. then i dont get them for like a year
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Wow hmm whats your egyptian made out of?
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj

I assume my egyptian is stainless... here are the links

GF's- http://saharasmoke.com/store/catalog...h-p-16649.html
Mine- http://saharasmoke.com/store/catalog...h-p-16425.html

I always let the instalight (Akhla) finish sparking and then put it on the bowl, and I clean them after just about every session. Maybe I'll check it out because I'm not sure if I've cleaned hers since I started getting the migraines...
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:03 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

make sure those coals are completely red hot. after theyre done sparking, let them sit for a few minutes before you put them on the bowl

Old July 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

You mean let them ash over? I've never had any problem with that before. I make them glow red (completly) then put them straight on. Should I not be doing that? Should I let them sit?

EDIT: Just took a look at the stem of the one that's giving me headaches, and there are some pretty thick heavy water deposits inside of it. For some reason it is far more susceptible to mineral build up from the incredibly hard water here than is mine, could this be the culprit? I have never gotten the build-up on my hookah.

Last edited by GuardianOfFreyj; July 24th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i would try cleaning it.

but on a slightly different suggestion try to not eat things that have gluten in them (any thing with wheat, rye, barley, and oats get contaminated by the other ones so you can try to cut those out too). gluten can do so many bad things to humans that there really isnt any good medical reason to eat any of the stuff. ive been researching this a lot since i found out im gluten intolerant and ill just say that after i stopped eating the stuff with it in there i feel literally 100 times better (i was feeling sick, depressed, tired, gained weight, etc and once i stopped i lost 20 lbs in 4 months and i wasnt really over weight just a little chubby 185 at 5'7")

that may help with your commonness of the migraines
-matt
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Yeah try cleaning it. Pleh that sucks that you got that horrible headache! Migraines and headaches from hookah are no fun. I thought it was the coals that were the prob but it doesn't seem like it after I've read everything
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thesauce310

migraines is because your loved one left for the weekend hahaha i get those too after i hookah sometimes but i noticed because sometimes i forget to rotate the coals and im smoking the black part of it. probably just suspicion.
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianOfFreyj View Post
You mean let them ash over? I've never had any problem with that before. I make them glow red (completly) then put them straight on. Should I not be doing that? Should I let them sit?

EDIT: Just took a look at the stem of the one that's giving me headaches, and there are some pretty thick heavy water deposits inside of it. For some reason it is far more susceptible to mineral build up from the incredibly hard water here than is mine, could this be the culprit? I have never gotten the build-up on my hookah.
could be. Maybe the buildup is making it harder to pull? that sometimes makes me get migraines.
Clean that nasty stuff off w/ some lemon juice and baking soda.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

The countless times this has happened to me man (only with the use of EXOTICAS, AHEM!) . There's no way around these, it's your body's way of saying "You are a Dick, Sir. Eat my shit". You wake up, and you can't get up. You think that water will fix it, it doesn't. You think 400mg Ibu will fix it, think again (you need atleast 800 or a Lortab/Hydrocodone). These things aren't from lack of water, believe me, I once threw up all the water I had had the night before. These are strictly from the coals, too much of what they give off. It can happen to anyone, no matter how much you smoke, other people have different surrounding conditions so they might not get as much CO.

I use to get these everytime i smoked, it was after 4 bowls with the beggining of the bad Exotica Batches (which i didn't take to heart until I felt this way). You need to switch coals from whatever you are using to a Coal brand that is less processed, Those Orange Wood coals from HC for example, that don't use a binder. Coconara coals work just fine for me, but Jap EZ lites didn't Ql's didn't.
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

O_O ZEN... I THINK I JUST FIGURED IT OUT THANKS TO YOU!

my little man space is rather confined (it's the entry way to our apartment, from a door we never use). The three times I got migraines, I had lit coals in the coal tray of my hookah in this confined space. The one day I didn't I took the coal outside to light it. It sounds like it was just over exposure to all the gunpowder stuff they use to make it instalight!
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Oh man, that's bad...I remember that's how i got headaches back back back then. lol
Just remember to light them outside, or get some naturals.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianOfFreyj View Post
O_O ZEN... I THINK I JUST FIGURED IT OUT THANKS TO YOU!

my little man space is rather confined (it's the entry way to our apartment, from a door we never use). The three times I got migraines, I had lit coals in the coal tray of my hookah in this confined space. The one day I didn't I took the coal outside to light it. It sounds like it was just over exposure to all the gunpowder stuff they use to make it instalight!
Dude, I know what's up when it comes to that stuff. It's the absolute worst headache you will ever possibly be able to have.
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

yeah. i just switched back to quicklights and have been getting headaches each time too.

i used golden canary and exoticas forever and didn't have problems. its actually the 3k that are doing it. When i used swift-lite i didn't get anything. UGGGG i wish i could use natural coal
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook