Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Size: Medium Vs Large hookahs

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 28th, 2008, 10:37 PM
starrbuzzin'
Hookah Newbie

Default Size: Medium Vs Large hookahs

I personally only have one medium size (pumpkin? 13" @ MAX) hookah. It smokes very nice and I get extremely impressive smoke (clouds?) from it. The bowl I currently have is a 'stock' bowl. However, I have purchased a phunnel bowl and it's OTW.

I've also gone to hookah bars and they have large hookahs (22+ ") They also get good smoke.

However, the hookah I have at the house, which is easily 7-10" smaller than those hookahs gets more smoke, produces a better taste and lasts longer than the hookahs at the bar.

Is that because they prepare their hookahs like crap? Wrong coals? Too much tobacco? Packing the tobacco to much in the bowl?

Sorry if this subject has happened before as it's a spur of the moment idea and I've been drinking

Thanks for any input!
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
ThatTrevorGuy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ThatTrevorGuy
Default Re: Size: Medium Vs Large hookahs

Most hookahs bars/lounges I've been to know nothing of hookahs and set them up horribly that's why I rarely go there anymore.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:00 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Yea I agree with trev. Most hookah bars (But not all!) do not know how the hell to setup a hookah. Most of them put too many coals on or foil around the bowl so the bowl burns faster so they can get more money off of you. They want new people to hookah to "think" the bowl is done so that they can ask for more bowls=wasting money.

Idk...Most hookah bars around my area know what they are doing so I guess I'm lucky :P
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
starrbuzzin'
Hookah Newbie

That all makes perfect sense.

At the hookah bar I used to go hang out. They had people walking around the bar, taking the bowls off. Blowing through them, clearing out so much smoke. They come out with two quick lights almost on the middle or on the middle of the bowl. They last forever, but only good for about 10-15 minutes.

I never even put it together that they'd try to make money off people by purposely ruining the experience. Seems like in the long run they'll be hurting themselves.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Most lounges will try to make money one way or the other by tweaking your hookah. Sometimes they'll purposely burn a bowl, put the coal in the middle, not wash your hookah, and other stuff.
A taller hookah does nothing more than a smaller one, except it does make the smoke a little cooler.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

While I would consider the pumpkin a small hookah I would have to say it's usually that the personal use hookah smoker will take better care and time to prepare and maintain their own session. Size does not mean much beyond removing heat from the vapor and smoke. But there is an upper limit to that too.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Large hookahs look cooler, and smoke a tad colder. The pull is usually easier with Tall Hookahs.
Old July 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
RicoSuave646
Hookah Nut

now i have a QT and while i agree that small hookah smoke ok (for what they are) i think larger hookah allow for more smoke because of base size. for example my QT has a reall small orbital shaped bowl...and when i fil it with water to let the downstem hang about an 1" 1/2" into the water...it doesnt leave alot of room left for a smoke pocket.. so i would think that taller hookas would allow for thicker more ample clouds.
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ive had better luck with larger hookahs staying cooler and seeming to pul easier. maybe its just coincidence but i think the amount of vase space is the biggest factor on hookah "size"
-matt
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hooksta
Hookah Nut

I like the smaller hookahs because they are easier to travel with and much easier to clean then say a larger hookah that doesn't break down.
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

I mentioned also that I have 12 mongrel hookahs of no know pedigree but many sizes and what makes for the best smoke is not size but seal and great suction.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook