Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah lounge laws?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
BlueFish524
Hookah Newbie

Default Hookah lounge laws?

The hookah lounge here lets kids 16+ in, they say the shisha or w/e is tobaccoo free, and there opening up another lounge two stores down for 18+ with tobacco. Anyone know the law on this, I know its not against the law tho because theres sixteen year olds there all the time when cops come rolling up to eat there
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Hookah lounge laws?

Well they make tobacco free shisha so by law it is not illegal to sell to minors. I have researched it, and the law in my state does not cover herbal smoke. So by law, it isn't stated as legal or illegal, so they cannot do anything. I think it's just because they havn't caught on quite yet.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_010400.htm
http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_010500.htm

BUT, the sale of herbal cigarettes (Soex for example) could be considered illegal, as sale of any cigarettes to minors is illegal.

Last edited by ZenSilk; July 29th, 2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM
BlueFish524
Hookah Newbie

Yeah i figured it was something like that, doesn't seem like it should be legal and tobacco is the only thing i read up on that is illegal
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

If the minor is in possession of the hookah though, that would be considered tobacco paraphernalia i would think. At a lounge though, it shouldn't matter because they do nto own the hookah.
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

this is why hookahs are gonna get banned...watch and see
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

When I lived in the states I knew of lounge owner getting fined for letting minors smoke because the anti-smoking laws are often seen as applying to all forms of smoking. I suppose it varies from place to place and according to different court rulings but in the end the anti-smoking lobby doesn't care what you smoke but rather that you stop.

As far as I am concerned I would rather not smoke then smoke Soex/Black Label/High Life.
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
When I lived in the states I knew of lounge owner getting fined for letting minors smoke because the anti-smoking laws are often seen as applying to all forms of smoking. I suppose it varies from place to place and according to different court rulings but in the end the anti-smoking lobby doesn't care what you smoke but rather that you stop.

As far as I am concerned I would rather not smoke then smoke Soex/Black Label/High Life.

so true
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:04 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I really don't think that it is appropriate for minors to be able to smoke in lounges. I mean, I personally was never able to until I was 18 and I really don't think its fair that younger kids can be able to walk in there, acting like nothing is wrong.

Besides...I don't think it would be fun for any lounge owner to get fined for something that could have been avoided.
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I agree fully Jilly. It's a very rare (maybe non-existent) minor that has the ability to rationally decide if they really want to smoke, really get something out of if and understand the risks. If my kids were still alive I would not let they smoke until they hit 18 and I am against letting cafes have kids smoke.
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

when i was under 18 which was about last october i was always at the hookah bars id say from age 16 and up i was always at the hookah bars/lounges and just hung out with older friends or cousins....i was asked once by the owner to not smoke he said i dont mind if your here but just pass on the smoking, i didnt mind and just didnt smoke that night....ive also been raised smoking hookah....my dad used to smoke hookah all the time and i used to take a puff here and there so it was never seen to me as something that needed to be granted to me when i turned 18 but as something thats relaxing and reminds me of father son time lol
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

I remember my friends would always go to lounges when some of them were under 18, and some were over 18. I think lounges should just check ID at the door; that would eliminate all the trouble of having underage kids.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

If I were to run a lounge I would not play with the laws. 18+ only thank you. PLease have your ID ready.
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

the lounges here have those little signs all over the place you know the " we card, under 18 no tobacco" and yet i know younger people go in there and smoke i mean holy shit i was in there with my friends who are all over 18 and we see these two kids walk in that were obviously between 13-16 i was wtf? cops come around to make sure illegal shit isnt goin down but they just walk around outside and occasionally walk up to a door of a lounge and just look around and then leave so i dunno...
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:14 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

tobacco free shisha? wow, where can i find that? i want to read on it, not order ne.
Old July 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by esisomsun View Post
tobacco free shisha? wow, where can i find that? i want to read on it, not order ne.
Soex, Black Label...?
Real Shisha is better.
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by esisomsun View Post
Don't bother, it all tastes like crap and never lasts more then half an hour. Also, no one has any support for the notion that faux shisha is any less a health risk then the real stuff. Don't buy into marketing hype on this sort of thing.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook