Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Vortex Use

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Vortex Use

I got my vortex bowl today which is a lot sooner then expected. I read the whole thread about it and don't see how to pack it. I am guessing that the way to do it is to load it like super chief but any tips are welcome.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Vortex Use

I don't know how to pack a super chief, but i "over packed it", just below the holes.

I've been playing with mine and found some tips: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5718
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

I packed it loosely right to the middle/top of the holes. works perfect for all kinds of tobacco. So far i've smoked Hookah-Hookah, Al Fakher, Fantasia, and Nakhla out of it with no probs.

Old August 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Hello, Hajo. I packed mine with Tangiers, just above the holes but not to the top of the inner cone. And slightly heavier than a loose packing. It seemed to work very well. I will be experimenting with Hookah Freak and Nakhla tonight and see how they work with it.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

KwiKwi, how many grommets do you have stacked to use the Vortex? or anyone for that matter? I don't think it would even fit a JandR syrian without 6 grommets, and i have 3 (normal sized) on my Mash'al...
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I left the standard grommet then use a damp papertowl wrapped 3 times around. Fits like a dream.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Mine did fine with the standard grommet that came with my KM. It sat a little lower on the bowl stem but fit fine. And agree, my J&R bowl stem is very narrow. I doubt it will sit right on that one without extra grommets or wrappings.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

When I pack the Super chief I lightly pile the moassel from the bottom slopping towards the bowl wall so as to avoid the center holes. Should the holes in the vortex actually be covered or not? I am guessing that the center column shouldn't have any moassel on it.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj

I haven't done anything to avoid the center with my shisha, the shisha leans right up against (and over) the holes and it smokes well, but then again HH is fine enough that airflow is easy even when covering the holes.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

I did the same, covered the wall.
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

i got mine today and it works like a champ. i'm using starbuzz and just 'drop' the tobacco in to just above the holes, which is slightly below the lip of the bowl. i covered in foil, and did a ring of holes around the outside and a ring just inside the tower in the middle. i blew air through the bottom of the bowl to make sure i was getting airflow. i used 2-1/4 sticks of exotica and a wind cover to start and im getting great clouds of smoke. this bowl has been goin strong for almost an hour now..

~~update~~ over 2 hours later and the bowl was still goin strong. we went through a couple coals, but the flavor was still noticable all the way to the end. i think it would have gone on longer with fresh coals, but i just got sick of smokin.

Last edited by jpos832; August 1st, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:53 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpos832 View Post
i just got sick of smokin.
Sir, there is no such thing.

I speak for all narghile smokers when I say to you, "hmmph!"
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
Sir, there is no such thing.

I speak for all narghile smokers when I say to you, "hmmph!"
ok ok.. i apologize if i offended you and i can see your point.. let me rephrase.. i had to stop smoking so i could do things other then hang out in my living room and puff away..

better? lol
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:08 AM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

How much of the shisha was "spent" after that period of time?
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:46 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Dragonman586 - With my session, the only thing that was spent was the very top layer...the middle and lower parts of the shisha still remained wet and sticky. I could have gone longer with some fresh coals, but I wanted to stop because near the end of my session my pups started barking at the door, wanting to go outside. I smoked for a little over an hour though. The only thing, I repeat, THE ONLY THING I don't like about this bowl is that it will NOT fit on my stem without an extra wrapping of some sort. (paper towel, foil, etc.) It's a phenomenal bowl that smokes amazingly. To finish it off, I think most Vortex users can agree with me when I say you'll probably stop smoking before your tobacco is spent, due to the fact that it almost doubles the smoking time and your coals will burn out, so you'll have to light fresh ones
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

See the thing is I have a small phunnel and I need something that holds less shisha therefore shorter sessions. Mr.Bugle said that these things hold like half of what a phunnel does. Can anyone confirm this?
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Dragonman - This thing holds less shisha but you can FORGET about shorter sessions man. I packed Al Fakher mint before the New Zealand/Australia rugby game (which New Zealand smoked Australia like a good bowl of shisha 39-10 ), and I smoked from the start all the way through halftime and stopped at 60 minutes into the game, easily being able to smoke even longer. Will it save you shisha? You bet. Will it shorten your sessions? Hell to the no! And for Juno's comment, I disagree completely. The reason for this is when you constantly take hit after hit after hit after hit, you can make yourself sick. So please take that in mind when smoking long sessions. I hope this helps!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonman586 View Post
How much of the shisha was "spent" after that period of time?
after about 2 hours, when i cleaned up my rig and dumped the bowl, most of the tobacco was black and what not.. but there was still a layer on the bottom that was juicy/sticky.. i'm confident that it would have kept goin with fresh coals. im gonna try and see how long i can get it to smoke this weekend

when i get a chance, i'll weigh how much tobacco it takes to 'fill' a bowl..
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
See the thing is I have a small phunnel and I need something that holds less shisha therefore shorter sessions. Mr.Bugle said that these things hold like half of what a phunnel does. Can anyone confirm this?
It holds less than my medium phunnel but not the small one.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Bender222
Hookah Newbie

Use the foil on tea candles as a makeshift scalli mod for small phunnel bowls. its big so it tke p alot of space . be sure to ct slis so it can breath.

Quote:
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Last night I got my vortex to smoke for about 1.5-2 hours AND there's unburnt tobacco still in the bottom. Does seem to help extend things a bit.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook