Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Al Fakhers reponce to the new cut of tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Al Fakhers reponce to the new cut of tobacco

jilly, not trying to rag on you but how does higher demand (thus higher sales) mean they cannot afford the same tobacco? it should be the exact opposite.

and rob 416 also not trying to rag on you but i dont see how you got that cutting the tobacco shorter would allow them to make more packages for 2 reasons, if they were done by volume it would mean more tobacco per size and 2) its done by weight. unless you are thinking that since there would be more surface area there would be more juices that were stuck to the tobacco so there would be more juices to tobacco ratio. idk if that is realistic though

-matt
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:43 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Maybe their tobacco supplier cuts the tobacco like that and AF has a contract....or they switched tobacco sources to get it cheaper? whatever it may be I still have no idea why people are having problems when I smoke new AF about 4 times a week with no problems.

Old August 5th, 2008, 10:56 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

I say keep the pressure on them, keep emailing and writing. I think we shoiuld get some answers and I'd hate to see AF quality go down rather than up. Good job Speel.
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Al Fakher Molasses is people!
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii View Post
And I do understand that the product in (tobacco) may not be up to 100% par, but I'm not sure if ALL the issues are just to tobacco. Why the heck is it DRIPPING in glycerine now? And didn't old AF only list Molasses, not both? I understand changing a product in order to improve or increase production, but it almost seems as if they are taking a step backwards.

I don't mind if they say they are improving it, but what irks me more is the fact they didn't come straight out say what the heck is wrong. I hate "dancing around issues" and offering flimzy promises.

What about all the people who have already gotten (and probably thrown away) bad batches of stuff? HECK - the stuff they sent me for turning over a "fake" tub of Grape ended up smelling SO chemical and nasty I threw it away (then had to take the trash out before going to bed - the whole apt smelled gross). What about all those people and their hard spent and lost money? Not even getting a satisfactory answer as to WHY annoys me.

*end rant/fume*
Very good points. I suppose I can see that suppliers can't meet demand for a certain grade of tobacco so they change the cut but it sounds like they totally changed the whole recipe and for the worse. I don't like stuff that is just swining in glycerin which is part of why I don't buy SB so if that is what AF is doing they will be getting less purchases from me.

Personally I have not had any problem with AF but then my stocks are older so it could be just me. Anyway, I hope that things turn around soon and they stick with what works.
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Mor they switched tobacco sources to get it cheaper? whatever it may be I still have no idea why people are having problems when I smoke new AF about 4 times a week with no problems.
heh this is what I meant to say, Matt lol. Sorry for writing my post so choppy.

I mean, I've seen hookahs that have stopped buying from their regular sources or have changed up some materials from high demand. Take MYA Qts for example. The bases used to be like a tank...Now, the glass is thin as hell.

Argh, I wish companies would get it that buying cheaper materials and such will not make their customers happy in the end, even though they are the ones saving money.

Last edited by JillyIsJustKidding; August 5th, 2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: writing errors are annoying
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
Argh, I wish companies would get it that buying cheaper materials and such will not make their customers happy in the end, even though they are the ones saving money.
quoted...for...truth

but as to the mya qt base issue, thickness is not really the issue as how they are tempered, ya thicker vs thinner with the same tempering will matter but you should be able to do a nice strong piece that is still thin... its just having an artist that can pull it off
-matt
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:19 AM
mdl
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mdl

Can anyone tell me if the "new" AF has more or less stems (big or small) in it?
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

New stuff has NO stems, it's like the tobacco has been put threw a blender or chopper. Very fine cut - similar to Hookah-Hookah, and sometime finner.
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

It is literally like paste. Very fine cut and almost gummy in consistency.
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:04 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

*Takes a drag of his Al Fakher Grape*...

What is wrong with you people? Whining and whining about Al Fakher. Nothing is wrong with it guys. I'm having some grape as I'm typing this down and it tastes excellent. I think something is just messing with your heads. One guy says a negative thing about Al Fakher and everyone jumps on the wagon. But as for the email you got, the man meant what he said. All this talk about "brown nosing"...sorry but I believe you are in the wrong. If their supplies are not up to par, then AF can't offer you PERFECT shisha every time. AF gives you what they have, it's up to you whether you are going to enjoy it or not

EDIT: I think myself and Mr. Bungle are the only peeps on this forum that actually enjoy AF. I smoke it daily with no problems whatsoever. hmmmm

Last edited by FarBeyondDriven; August 6th, 2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

[quote=FarBeyondDriven;74148 If their supplies are not up to par, then AF can't offer you PERFECT shisha every time. AF gives you what they have, it's up to you whether you are going to enjoy it or not
[/quote]

I'm glad AF isn't in the perscription medicine business! LOL
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I smoke what I can of it, as I'm using up my old stock. Fudge... I JUST bought 750g and are planning on getting 1250 (to share) more! And we can complain because WE are having issues. Great you don't, but that doesn't hold for everyone else.

I love AF so you can drop your "line" of thinking, hell I even love Tangier Noir although it MAKES me sick.

I wish i would have sent you my rotten batch.... that would have cured you. It was vile - even ask BadJuju - she smelt it.
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

LOL Dunkel, I must say I agree with that ...however, thank God they aren't! But yeah I enjoy it. I'm sorry you guys are having problems, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough with my statement. I wasn't trying to insult anyone or anything like that, you guys know that. The thing is I just can't understand how you guys are having so much problems and I'm sitting here in a smoke-filled paradise
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Quote:
I smoke what I can of it, as I'm using up my old stock. Fudge... I JUST bought 750g and are planning on getting 1250 (to share) more! And we can complain because WE are having issues. Great you don't, but that doesn't hold for everyone else.

I love AF so you can drop your "line" of thinking, hell I even love Tangier Noir although it MAKES me sick.

I wish i would have sent you my rotten batch.... that would have cured you. It was vile - even ask BadJuju - she smelt it.
Power of Suggestion, my mod, power of suggestion...

P.S. - Stop whining; Pack it tighter. Ooh yeah.
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I wish i would have sent you my rotten batch.... that would have cured you.
That was not a very polite thing to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
P.S. - Stop whining; Pack it tighter. Ooh yeah.
Finally someone who agrees with me
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Perhaps, but then you would have seen first hand what the issues people are "complaining" about.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:17 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Ok but I want to be your friend so don't kill me xD
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

please don't kill him, he just a noobie
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

See the thing is Al Fakher was known for a quality product at a reasonable price but now they seem to be slipping with this and the whole grape thing. As loyal customers we want to know whats going on.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:54 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Yeah the problem with me is I never had the early batches. That way I don't know what it was like before; I can't compare between the two. So my opinions aren't exactly in depth and basically mean nothing on this thread. I'm just stating that the new cut that I smoke as of now...I have no problems out of it. Also, thanks for watching my back John! xD
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I won't kill him yet }:] I have enough zombies in my horde for now....

But anyways, yeah - if you've only been dealing in new batches, it's had to compare. I only started smoking AF late '05, so I remember what it was like. Hopefully
the will return to the previous stuff, it's just annoying when a large company knows something is up and doesn't come out and state it/take credit for.
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

well i just got in my first shipment of stuff and got a bunch of AF, smelled the grape, not bad but ya it has a ketchup over tone but its not this whole ooo its pure ketchup. a little airing out i think will be ok,

all the stuff i got smelled a touch off, the apple smoked ok but i think needs to air out a touch, along with my tangiers i got (tried to smoke some lime cause it smelled ok but didnt work needs to be acclimated )

even the starbuzz i tried that i had gotten was a little off, i think its partially the new namors (did lemon it before hand and after and its pretty clear now plus i burned some SB so its a little burnt smelling still but it will be fine)

it did seem kind of fine cut but meh, it should be fine
-matt
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:10 AM
mdl
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mdl

Alright, well here's my take on part of the AF situation.

Cutting tobacco fine has a major effect in the production process, more specifically the stem removal. A very fine cut will result in less stems for the following reasons;

1. The stems are much smaller, therefore less noticeable.
2. Cutting the tobacco fine makes it easier to pull out stems as there is less leaf to pull off.

Maybe, and this is a big maybe, AF is using a finer cut to lower the amount of labor is has to do to remove stems. They may not have in fact changed the type of tobacco they use but are trying alternative cutting methods to 'cut' costs.

As someone stated, tobacco is a crop and crops do vary. Also, when ordering tobacco, you really don't know what it looks like until you open the box. I know from personal experience that tobacco can even vary from inside different parts of the box it comes in. Some of the tobacco is like dust, and other parts have huge leaves. Getting a consistent cut is labor intensive and sometimes it's just easier to cut everything very fine and be done with it, kind of how sam described it, "...it's like the tobacco has been put through a blender..."

Now this is just my theory from what I read and my experiences. I'll have to pick up a tub of AF and see for myself.
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:06 AM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Your theory fails to an extent. I got a few twigs in both of my tubs of the new af cut. But the grape after airing out smells great. And so does the watermelon.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook