Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Charcoal Use - Share Your Thoughts

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven
Default Charcoal Use - Share Your Thoughts

Hi guys, I am running low on charcoal and I'm contemplating to switch from Coco Nara Charcoal to Exotica Charcoal. The reason is you get a better price for Exotica over Coco Nara, and I have heard very good things of Exotica. However, here is where I need your help...

My mother was concerned about the use of Natural Charcoal and she asks me "Isn't it dangerous to light ANY charcoal, whether it be natural or self-lighting, and have it inside the house?" (I never light self-lighting in the house ) I responded to her "Well Mom, regardless of what charcoal you use, it still gives off CO so I can't really give you a definite answer there." My mother doesn't smoke at all, just to let you know. So what I'm asking you guys is, no matter which coals you use, you are still going to have to deal with the threat of CO inside your house-hold yes? (I never smoke outside, always in my well-ventilated room) I prefer natural coals highly over self-lighting coals simply because they don't affect the taste of the shisha, and they hold up better in my opinion. So the main thing here is, with natural coals which I most likely will purchase, am I exposing my mother to direct inhalation of CO? I don't like the sound of that ...please help me out guys, I know you guys can answer this one
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: Charcoal Use - Share Your Thoughts

I think to be on the safe side you should open a window and put a fan opposite of where you're lighting the coal. That way you'd be between the fan and the window.
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

IMO no, I use my GAS stove to light my exoticas and never encountered a problem. Now, if you were to stand over them while cokking you might get some exposure, but for the most part I wouldn't think so.
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:09 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciation
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

The best solution would be to move out.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Gryphon
Hookah Nut

Actually anytime you burn anything, be it candles, incense, or charcoal, you will produce CO and other byproducts of combustion. The real question is the concentration that builds up over time.
The best bet is to insure you have good ventilation and a source of outside air to dissipate the buildup.
You can purchase smoke alarms with a built in CO monitor to warn you if the levels get to high
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hooksta
Hookah Nut

Gryphon has a point, just crack a window or gather some wood and make a little shelter outside to use and your set. I only use the exotica coals and they are awesome so good choice with those natural coals. If you don't feel like making a shelter, just let your mom know that it would take a lot of CO gas exposure for a long period of time to be lethal, but as long as there is steady ventalation and fresh air being pumped into the house, no worries.
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

you'de have to be lighting a whole lotta coal to build up enough co for it to be a health issue.
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

a kitchen hood fan or bathroom exhaust fan can pull all the air out of a standard house in one hour, so as long as you do it under or right by your kitchen hood (assuming you have one) you should be good (also assuming you have it on)

never had an issue with QLs and the limited experience with naturals ive had they seem to smoke less than QLs BUT co/co2 is a colorless gas so i guess thats not a good way to look at it
-matt
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I would buy a box and try em out! I have only gotten bad boxes so I can't attest to how well Exoticas actually perform.
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

as to how exoticas are, they seemed nice, i think the 3 1/4s on a bowl seems a little excessive after my first run with them to day (burned the hell out of a small funnel bowl of SB in one round of coals)

they have a lot of ash but it kind of sticks together. i had weird tastes in the smoke but it was a new hookah and new namors plus i had never smoked the blue myst plain and it was my first run at a funnel

give then a try, 9 bucks for a box, its not a huge loss if they dont work for you
-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook