Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Noob advice

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
rowland
Hookah Newbie

Default Noob advice

Any advice for the noob?

Ok i will try and keep this short but will likely fail.

The only real experience i have is the local hookah bar. I dont have to set anything up i just kick back and enjoy. Mostly i smoke apple (which has a strange anise taste for some reason). Ok so my first hookah arrived the other day, it is a single hose Egyptian (22"). I think i have it set up correctly but guess i would not know if i were wrong.

I am using Golden Coals and Romman Shisha (raspberry and mango).

I am not really in love with the Romman, as they both taste the same (honeyish?).
The smoke is really thin and weak.

What i am looking for is a really good tasting shisha and a heavy/thick smoke.

Mostly i have been using a screen, but today i did try foil, the screen worked the better of the two.

I have checked the hookah and it all seems tight. I would say the down stem is about 1" under water.

Any advice you can offer?

For easy reply,

1) How do you get those heavy smoke clouds (methods or brands)
2) What brand has a very rich flavor and a good smoke?
3) screens or foil?
4) any other advice a noob needs to know?

thanks for the help.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Noob advice

3) screens or foil?

1- check the reviews on shisha, you should be able to match up a flavor to a good smoke
2- depends on what you like. Some people are ok with the chemical shisha, some like the natural
3- screen, once you learn to get them going, they'll last a long time and make things faster
4- come up with what works for you
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
RyanHookahKingColling
Hookah Newbie

1) you could try a little less water and when using a screen i find it more useful to use two coals to get it going...also make sure the tobacco isnt to clumped together make sure it is nice and broken up allowing more airflow which in turn creates more smoke.

2) personally i am a fan of Havana tobacco most flavors are satisfying the tropical is the best they have to offer if you ask me the orange isnt bad either though

3) this is really a toss up...i use both it just depends on whats available for me, the foils seems to be easier clean up but the screen is a lot faster to get set up and going it just depends on how much work you feel like doing

4) practice practice practice thats the best way to find out how to get your hookah rolling at its best if you have any other questions dont hesistate to ask oh and one more thing puff puff pass
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:48 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

3) screens or foil?

1. Read the reviews for the smoke, I also hear a small amount of milk in the base works too but I have not tried that.
2. Again the reviews are valuable but it comes down to personal preference. So far my faves have to be Romman, Nakhla, and Layalina.
3. Both work but I prefer foil. I have a bunch of screens but I just cant get the hang of them, I always burn the shisha. I personally have more control over the heat management with foil.
4. Relax, have fun, experiment, and read/post on forums without fear of being a noob. We all were there and there are no dumb questions. We are just a nice community of Hookahtiers with common interests
BTW Welcome to the forums!

Billy
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland
Any advice for the noob?

The only real experience i have is the local hookah bar. I dont have to set anything up i just kick back and enjoy. Mostly i smoke apple (which has a strange anise taste for some reason). Ok so my first hookah arrived the other day, it is a single hose Egyptian (22"). I think i have it set up correctly but guess i would not know if i were wrong.

Many Apples (normally double apples) have a heavy Anise taste. You tend to either love it or hate it. Try some Esk or Briani Apples for a non-anise taste.

I am not really in love with the Romman, as they both taste the same (honeyish?).

Rommans uses Honey instead of molasses, I believe, thus explaining the "honey" taste.

Mostly i have been using a screen, but today i did try foil, the screen worked the better of the two.

I have checked the hookah and it all seems tight. I would say the down stem is about 1" under water.

For easy reply,

Heavy smoke all depends on brand, packing, and heat. Certain brands will provide better smoke (Layalina, AF, and others). Packing the bowl correctly is very important, you need good airflow for good smoke! Many people turn the bowl upside down after putting on the foil/screen and blow thru the bottom. I find this makes sure the shisha is loose and the airflow is good, and pushes the foil back off the top from when you poked the holes in the foil.

But, setting up your own hookah takes pratice - don't expect to sit down the first few weeks and get everything right. And as for heat - the right coals and AMOUNT of coals, as well as placement is also VERY important. Try breaking in half Round coals, that helps. Place the pieces or seprate silver tabs along the outside edge FIRST. Also, try using a windcover for the first 5-10 mins, helps heat up the shisha to good smoking temp.

The best brands I've found for smoke & flavor: Layalina, Al Fakher, Fusion, Al Waha, and Nakhla. My personal favs are: Esk Apple (golden line) Al Fakher, Afternine Al Waha, Cocomint Nakhla, and Peach Layalina.

3) screens or foil?

I prefer foil to a metal or glass screen. For foil, use heavy duty or two layer of thin type. For metal screens, I rotate my coals more often than w/ foil. Glass will burn the shisha, but is very usable. Take the most pratice to use correctly. Good tip: never fill the bowl to the top - leave a small space between the shisha and the foil/screen - this helps prevent burning.

Either use ice water or chill the base.
Make sure to clean your hose (if washable) or blow hard thru a non-wahsable version.
Clean your hookah often.
Remember certain brands of shisha are ALOT pickier and difficult to get a good smoke.
Cook your coals till they have an ashover.

thanks for the help.
Your welcome

~My replies are in BOLD text~
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

1. You can get any brand to deliver thick clouds of smoke. The trick is to manage your heat properly to do so. Depending on the brand, being able to make thick clouds will have a time window before it possibly scorches. You will have to develop the technique over time.

Some brands you will need to slow down and not take so many puffs in a given amount of time to keep the thick clouds up.... other wise its toast in a few minutes.

If your smoke is coming through thin and harsh..... its because you need a tad more coal, dont be afraid to bust those quicklights into halves or even quarters to dial in the right amount of heat.
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland
Any advice for the noob?

For easy reply,

3) screens or foil?

thanks for the help.
ignore everybody else haha just kidding...

1) How do you get those heavy smoke clouds (methods or brands) i prefer laylaya tangiers hookah hookah and al wa ha and i get amazing smoke
2) What brand has a very rich flavor and a good smoke? same brands hookah hookah is my current fav
3) screens or foil? i use foil as you can place as many holes as you would like... to mange heat better
4) any other advice a noob needs to know? i usually fill my steam really low like maybe 1/4 of the way with water.. and then pack the bowl just about a hair shy of the top of the bowl.. when using coals i start with 3 (thats broken as i use a phunell or a super cheif) so maybe 1 or 2 is your best bet... move the coals periodicaly and just keep trying ill make a video later as im super effin tired.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

1. Read the reviews of the brand/flavor before you buy. Just the right amount of heat to get the bowl hot but not too much so that it burns.
2. I usually smoke Layalina, Fumari, or Romman and I get pretty good clouds.
3. I'm a foil guy, I just think it allows better heat management and you don't have to watch your coals as closely.
4. Fill your vase with ice and water, makes for a smoother smoke
Buy a phunnel bowl and either buy/make a scalli mod, makes for super thick smoke.
Stay away fro unwashed tobacco(tangiers, nakla) until your a bit more seasoned. Nicotine sickness is not fun.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM
ssj17gogeta
Hookah Newbie

1) heat management is key, lots of little holes in your foil, and a good moist shisha, letting the bowl "bake" the shisha before smoking is my preference.

2) if you dont mind sporting the cash for it, i myself, like starbuzz. you can always count on a thick smoke, and a unique flavor each time.

3) foil for me, a good 3 or 4 rings of toothpick sized holes, be sure to poke them with the bowl loaded, and poke down to the bottom of the bowl, giving the air a path.

4) the only noob advice! when in doubt... ask someone on the forum!! XD
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:17 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster View Post

If your smoke is coming through thin and harsh..... its because you need a tad more coal, dont be afraid to bust those quicklights into halves or even quarters to dial in the right amount of heat.
Wow, i didnt know that, i run into that problem and couldnt figure out why. I thought i have done everything right. Thanks man!
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:30 PM
guesswhoy0
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to guesswhoy0

^ and obviously if youre getting thick clouds and a harshness, remove some heat and it should be okay.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook