Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Yet another hookah problem

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj
Default Yet another hookah problem

Ok, so this problem doesn't cause any real issues with smoking, it's more for convenience. I have a stainless stem that comes in (I think) 4 pieces. These pieces have slowly started locking together, one set at a time, until today, it was no big deal because I had two separate pieces, so no big deal, but today I bring it out, and I can separate the two pieces. They are all stuck together (it's a screw connection). I can no longer unscrew them. Any one ever have this happen to them? and How do I get them unstuck?
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno
Default Re: Yet another hookah problem

WD40.
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Rafi18
Hookah Nut

or if that doesn't work go to a hobby store and get the little mini oil that you use for a little electrical motor and try that ... It should have a needle type tip

maybe not screwing it as tight ethier

Last edited by Rafi18; August 9th, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
pigpen
Hookah Newbie

You could also try letting the assembly soak in hot water for a few minutes.
The heat will expand the metal. Works for jars anyway.
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj

hmmm. my worry abou tsomething like WD40 or oil is then I'll have to clean the hell out of the hookah before smoking it again
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

use winter green oil (at the drug store) it is the best thing to break any corrosion lose.

as to prevent it try some vegi oil or something of the like. all the other things to prevent it from seizing (i.e anti seize or anti gauling compounds) probably are not a good solution to something like a hookah

heat will also help probably like mentioned
-matt
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Looks like stainless ain't so stainless after all.
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:20 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Looks like stainless ain't so stainless after all.
stainless is just less prone to rust, "stainless" is such an off name but its easier to say than "corrosion resistant steel", plus the fact that its probably not a high quality SS.

also having metal bind like that doesnt mean there is rust, infact it can mean the total opposite, if pure/clean metal is against another pure/clean piece of its self it can gaul (cold weld itself together) so its uber hard to impossible to get it apart if it has been like that for a while

-matt
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:43 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

use your manly powers
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

soak it in hot water to maybe loosin it up.. crap prob got stuck in there from smoking..
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Gryphon
Hookah Nut

It sound like the stem pieces have galled together. Stainless steel is good for resisting rust, but it is prone to thermal warpage and galling.

Applying heat can work, as long as it is applied unequally to both pieces. If they are heated together, they will expand together. The female threads need to be warmer to expand away from the male threads.

Freezing the stem and then pouring boiling water on the stem above the joint should work.

After you get it apart, check the threads for damage. If you see slivers of metal, or bent over threads, clean the threads with a thread file or tap/die. A light application of canola or mineral oil will help prevent it from happening again.
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
It sound like the stem pieces have galled together. Stainless steel is good for resisting rust, but it is prone to thermal warpage and galling.

Applying heat can work, as long as it is applied unequally to both pieces. If they are heated together, they will expand together. The female threads need to be warmer to expand away from the male threads.

Freezing the stem and then pouring boiling water on the stem above the joint should work.

After you get it apart, check the threads for damage. If you see slivers of metal, or bent over threads, clean the threads with a thread file or tap/die. A light application of canola or mineral oil will help prevent it from happening again.
just make sure you dont give it to much of a thermal shock. if its a very high quality stem it should be fine but if its cheap there might be impurities in the metal that would let it crack more easily (also either way look to make sure you dont see any hair line cracks or anything like that before you try the thermal solutions)

while i fully suggest the tap and die (you would need a bottoming tap to make sure the threads are clear) the price of those pieces, unless you have friends with them or work metal, is not worth the cost compared to just buying a new stem (probably spend 20-45 bucks on just the tap and die, if you can find the correct threading)

Gryphon, if a piece galls together is that still the weakest point? or is it kind of at first yes until it is left for a while, also slightly off topic for solutions to use here but would one of the very low strength loctites prevent galling or no

-matt
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Fdjgallo
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Fdjgallo

Why dont you try hittin it a lil'bit...unasambled of course

Or put it in hot water and later hit it haha
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

strange, most of the multi-part stems are actually chrome plated brass. A hot water bath as suggested should get it apart. If not , gently heating up the connection areas with a propane torch should do it.

penetrating oil would be next 0n my list after that .
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Gryphon
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
just make sure you dont give it to much of a thermal shock. if its a very high quality stem it should be fine but if its cheap there might be impurities in the metal that would let it crack more easily (also either way look to make sure you dont see any hair line cracks or anything like that before you try the thermal solutions)

while i fully suggest the tap and die (you would need a bottoming tap to make sure the threads are clear) the price of those pieces, unless you have friends with them or work metal, is not worth the cost compared to just buying a new stem (probably spend 20-45 bucks on just the tap and die, if you can find the correct threading)

Gryphon, if a piece galls together is that still the weakest point? or is it kind of at first yes until it is left for a while, also slightly off topic for solutions to use here but would one of the very low strength loctites prevent galling or no

-matt
If there were impurities present in the joint material, then there most likely would not be any galling present. Brass and chrome are fairly resistant to the galling phenomenon.

As for the thermal shock, that is precisely what is needed to force the parts to seperate. Using a home freezer and boiling water are the low ends of this application. For real stubborn problems at work, I have used liquid nitrogen and a MAPP torch. Do not try this at home!!!

As for your question regarding the strength of the gall point, I am a bit confused. The gall point is essentially a "mechanical weld", that is going to be the strong point. It would take several years for internal corrosion to change the strength. I would never use any type of Loc-tite, Never-Sieze or any other anti-galling compound on a hookah. As per federal regulations which govern food plants, none of those compounds are classified as H1 (direct food contact) or H2 (incidental food contact.) As per my previous post, I recommend Canola or Mineral oil. Just a drop will do the trick. Keep in mind that after a thorough cleaning, the oil will need to be reapplied.

To the comment regarding the cost of a tap and die, there are sets available for around $25 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39425 My Syrian is tapped at 10-1.25 and 12-1.5. A bottom tap will not be needed, the stem is hollow, nothing to bottom out on. Yes you can probably get a new stem cheaper, but then you don't have any new toys A cheaper alternative is a thread file http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt2228.html It takes more patience, and a softer touch, but it does work
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:20 AM
mgaffar
Hookah Nut

The exact same thing happened to my MYA hookah, its the actual metal corroding, if it is the same as mine the actual stem will eventually snap.
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

gryphon, thanks for the info,

but so if the gal is the strongest point how can it be broken apart whit out damage?

as to the cost of taps/dies, ya they can be had for that cheap but i wouldnt trust those (tools are one of the things that i buy brand name high quality or i just dont buy them)

i guess your right on the bottoming tap not being necessary but i still feel more comfortable with the threads ending a little more pronounced than just a normal tap tapering off.

the loctite question was for just general galling not for hookah (a little off topic but i had jsut been wondering about that for a while)
-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook