Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Aluminum foil for smoking - your preferences.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Smokering
Hookah Newbie

Default Aluminum foil for smoking - your preferences.

I've recently noticed that using thinner aluminum foil with hotter coals really messes with my throat when smoking for more than 20 minutes... so I generally try to stick to thicker foil. It may also have something to do with the amount of chemicals on the foil itself, I don't know.

If anyone has noticed something to similar to this, or has any really good foil suggestions as far as store-bought goes, please let me know.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: Aluminum foil for smoking - your preferences.

Yeah, this is something I think I need to consider myself! I would also like to know other peoples opinions on this.

I think I am gonna try some reynolds heavy duty?

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I use "reynolds wrappers" pre cut sheets. They are really thick and I normally don't have issues with the foil. This foil also doesn't "scortch" as easy.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I use Reynolds Heavy Duty. I use 1 layer. I cut it about 5" wide. I don't know about elsewhere but where I live it's only available in a long box. For a 5" wide piece by however long it is I get enough foil for 4 regular bowls or 3 small Super Chief bowls (they are wider). A box of Reynolds Heavy Duty should last a long time. I've had a box for 3 weeks now and smoke everyday (OK most times twice a day ) and there's still plenty left.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

This could possibly explain why the last few sessions have made my throat hurt well into the next day. I normally use "pre-cut hookah" foil, which is pretty thick, but the last few days I've been using Dollar Store foil which is supper thin - I just have been doubling it over and using it.

Maybe the think foil is burning or something. Think it's time to go back to the thicker stuff - hopefully that will end the sore throat crud.

PS: the reason for using the thinner foil - It's easier to remove it "mid" bowl to stir up or scrape off burnt shisha. The pre-cuts are harder and I can't re-use the same sheet.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

sammn, are you using the reynolds pre-cut sheets as well?

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

no, when I bought my syrians, the guy sent 2 packages of hookah foil - heavy duty thick foil, 4" x 4". I liked the fact it was extra thick (compaired to what I had been using) - I'm gonna have to go to heavy duty foil when I run out.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

I love Reynolds Heavy-Duty.
Bam.
One sheet is all you need, it's like sheet metal. I have not yet had a problem with heat management, really.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

ok, well I am gonna stop and get some on the way home...heavy duty foil

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

Sam,
Did you get a chance to try out the RHD lol?
Let me know how it worked out for you, I have some people that thoroughly disagree with me about it haha.
Shun the non-believers

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Smokering
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii
This could possibly explain why the last few sessions have made my throat hurt well into the next day. I normally use "pre-cut hookah" foil, which is pretty thick, but the last few days I've been using Dollar Store foil which is supper thin - I just have been doubling it over and using it.

Maybe the think foil is burning or something. Think it's time to go back to the thicker stuff - hopefully that will end the sore throat crud.

PS: the reason for using the thinner foil - It's easier to remove it "mid" bowl to stir up or scrape off burnt shisha. The pre-cuts are harder and I can't re-use the same sheet.
I believe the whole thin thing was what got me as well, it was why I asked the question.

It REALLY messed with my throat.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Well, I went back to my typical thicker foil last night and low... no more throat hurts. So I do believe if the thinner foil isn't causing it, it's atleast helping cause the issue.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Well, I ended up going to the dollar store, and found some of the Reynolds Pre-Cut Sheets ... so I bought those. KorNKitten uses those, and recommends them ... so I bought those. I looked for the Heavy Duty Reynolds, but they didn't have it there. I will still try it though. I have experienced the pre-cuts and thought that provided a REALLY Nice Smoke! I will let you know how it goes with me setting it up. But KK, can setup a good hookah! and she uses those pre-cuts..

Old August 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Why thank you! I was so nervous though setting up my hookah for you guys. I felt like I was going to F it all up and have you guys like get upset with me if I charred it. I know you wouldn't have, but i wanted to do it right, so bad it was scary lol!

I like those pre cut sheets, they're really thick and like i said before don't scortch as badly.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

hahaha your comment made me laugh, honestly it was literally one of the best smokes I have had! and was my first experience with Hookah-Hookah too! You did a great job, that is why I ran out and bought that foil, I found it at the dollar store. Now if I can just find a good bowl, I'll be set! Let me know if you ever see one similar to the one that you use ...

Old August 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Seth_DeNightshade
Hookah Nut

I don't think there are chemicals that can be released through heating.

bare in mind that people regular use foil to cook meat and other dishes.
I don't think there is going to be a problem with the foil betwixt foil & tobacco.

I am also led to believe that in other countries water purification is used using aluminum. Without any link to any blood disease or increased melts in blood.

I would not worry!

Sethie D
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

ive used rhd for the last 8 months... still on the same damn roll..... lol almost gone tho gonna ahve to get somthin,
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I used the Reynolds Wrappables / Precuts, last night, and was a much better smoke then the cheap stuff I was using.

I am not worried about aluminum, what I am worried about is anything non-aluminum that may be on cheap products. Such as the original foil I was using, was very thin, and even with double layer I had burning shisha happening.

I like the Reynolds Wrappables / Precuts, and I think the Reynolds Heavy Duty will be my next try.

Cheers!

Old August 16th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering
I've recently noticed that using thinner aluminum foil with hotter coals really messes with my throat when smoking for more than 20 minutes... so I generally try to stick to thicker foil. It may also have something to do with the amount of chemicals on the foil itself, I don't know.

If anyone has noticed something to similar to this, or has any really good foil suggestions as far as store-bought goes, please let me know.
I always use run of mill foil when it's on sale and I never have problems with sore throats, headaches or such. Those things are almost always a result of using bad coals or inhaling way too aggressively. Smoke slowly and wait a at least 30 seconds between drawls. Don't worry about huge clouds but stay focused on the ritual and taste.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:08 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering

I always use run of mill foil when it's on sale and I never have problems with sore throats, headaches or such. Those things are almost always a result of using bad coals or inhaling way too aggressively. Smoke slowly and wait a at least 30 seconds between drawls. Don't worry about huge clouds but stay focused on the ritual and taste.
cheap coals will definitely give you headaches, sore throats, and even nose bleeds. I found that out the hard way when I was buying backup coal from the local shop.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook